The Film Recommendation Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: The Film Recommendation Thread

Post by JaySevenZero »

chase210 wrote:Kick-ass 2 was brilliant, the blu ray came out this weekend. Highly reccomended.
Some great choices on the soundtrack too, such as this one! ;)

chase210

Post by chase210 »

Captain America 2 is a big thumbs up, incredible.
Amazing spiderman 2, thumbs up still pretty good.
Divergent was usual teen rubbish
Calvary was pretty good, not as good as you'd expect.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

As someone who finds a lot of mainstream horror pretty dull I was pretty impressed with the Conjuring. It had me on board from the start, with a lot of long shots that had a very 70s vibe to them; think the Omen, Rosemary's Baby, etc. It's not something I say often, but the font of the title is brilliant. It gets a bit comical with the number of horror cliches there are (scary doll, creepy children, even an exorcism) but it still did enough to unsettle me.
manofmanybadaliases

Post by manofmanybadaliases »

I saw On the Silver Globe by Andrzej Żuławski not too long ago, a very fascinating mid 80s science fiction movie, more in line with things like Stalker or 2001 than say Galaxy of Terror
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:As someone who finds a lot of mainstream horror pretty dull I was pretty impressed with the Conjuring. It had me on board from the start, with a lot of long shots that had a very 70s vibe to them; think the Omen, Rosemary's Baby, etc. It's not something I say often, but the font of the title is brilliant. It gets a bit comical with the number of horror cliches there are (scary doll, creepy children, even an exorcism) but it still did enough to unsettle me.
I love a good horror movie , shame there are not that many good ones!
chunky_Monkey

Post by chunky_Monkey »

Was out and watched Edge of Tommorow last night, good bit of Sci-Fi action from Mr Cruise,
Some very intelligent time travel very much in the Groundhog day tradition

bullet to he head reset the day - boom
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Saw not 1 not 2 but 3 Ipman movies recently!two of them(ipman1&2) with Donnie Yen and a third one(ipman the legend is born) with a different actor whose name escapes me all where pretty solid martial arts films the fights were better in the Donnie Yen films but the third movie isnt really that far behind all pretty worthwhile watchs if you like the genre.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past on a whim Saturday, and I'm pleased that I did. The best X-Men film since 2 (I still hold X-Men 2 as one of the best superhero films ever made) and the most crowd-pleasing of the superhero films to be released this year. It kept the right balance between old and new, and I'm excited about the future of the series again.

Quicksilver was the stand-out, which will be interesting going into the Avengers 2 next year. The glimpses seen of the Aaron Taylor-Johnson version suggest a much darker character, and he'll have to go some way to topping the great sequence from X-M: DOFP.