Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Flabyo »

Watch 'Bojack Horseman' instead. That's very definitely NOT like that.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Well, Bojack can be described as irritating :D He is highly flawed "person" ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I only saw the first episode and it didn't grab me, is it worth sticking with then? Rick & Morty was good but there aren't many episodes, and Adventure Time which I watch with the kids is good. And Hey Duggee of course on cBeebies >_<
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Bojack improves a lot during the first season, I'd give it a couple more to see if it grabs you, but if you're not feeling it by then it probably isn't for you.

What about Archer?

There's also MLP:FiM. But I didn't say that.
macstat

Post by macstat »

I usually give 4 episodes until i give up on a show, so i would advise to watch more. At the same time Bojack didnt grab me as well so there's that ... :P
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Watched a couple of things,First I finnished the netflix series The expanse, it's sci-fi show where humanity has colonized part of the solar system and has splitered itself in a few factions with Earth and Mars having a Cold War and the space colonies being disputed between them while they strive for independence,so it's basically Gundam without the Giant robots.It's ok but it's one of those series much like Sense8 where I think the premisse is much interesting them what the series actually delivers,but hey this one has Adam Jensen at least.

The other thing that I watched was Logan and after hearing so many good things about it I expected it to be the best X-men movie yet, instead what I got was The Last of Us:Wolverine edition. Honestly I dont even think the comparison is streching it at all they are really similar, but that's not a bad thing in fact it's really well done and the interactions between Xavier and Logan are just phenomenal having no paralell in TLoU,both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stuart are bringing the best they got in this and I think it really pays off. Another thing that finnally pays off are those claws because after 17 years they are at last allowed to shine and it's a glorious bloodbath, but once again like TLoU it doesnt feel gratuituos it is a part of the story and who these characters are. Lastly dont expect to walk away happy outta this movie, it's not a "superhero movie" it's full on drama where people get their limbs cut off from time to time with adamantium claws. I did have a few problems with the movie but the more I think about it the less relevant they seem,this is the movie Wolverine deserved and it's the perfect send off for the character and for Hugh Jackman.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I started House of Cards after much peer pressure from everyone around me saying it's really good and well they were right, but I am shocked how this show manages to have it's entire main cast composed of entirelly despicable people and still keep me invest, I mean really every single main character is an unforgivable piece of shit and yet Im still invested in seeing what's next for them in part because they are still very enjoyable to watch on screen.

Also watched Doctor Strange and let's just say it's a very different movie from the lastest "superhero" film I watched, the plot and characters are really not that interesting but I have to say that it's a very creative movie,especially in it's use of special effects some of the most creative uses of CGI I've seen in quite awhile and in a way it makes me dislike Inception a bit more for it's utter lack of creativity, and you just have to see the movie to understand why I drew this comparison. Was pleasantly surprised but I dont know how much more of Thanos teasing I can endure in these movies.

Lastly I watched the Netflix Death Note teaser which is really hilarious,I think Netflix just made the trailer to bring all people together,you have people hating it because Light isnt asian and hating because L is gonna be black in this version, personally Im just really psyched that Willem Dafoe is gonna play Ryuk XD , what worries me the most is that it's movie not a series and there's no way to do that story justice in the span of a single movie. Other then that seeing that made me wanna go back and rewatch the series all over again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I accidentally subscribed to Amazon Prime the other day so using my free month before cancelling I've been watching Black Sails. It's alright, but I don't think I'll bother finding the episodes elsewhere once the month trial is over.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I've been watching Legion and OH BOY, is that a great TV Show. Legion is actually a spin off of the X-Men movies, with FOX essentially trying to emulate what Marvel have done on Netflix. Except in this case I think they've beaten them at their own game, because Legion has a style and narrative sophistication that none of the Marvel Netflix shows have. Plus Aubrey Plaza is delivering what is, without doubt, the performance of her career. She is SO GOOD in this. The show runner the same guy behind Fargo, and it shows. The cinematography is unreal.

I've put these gifs in a spoiler section just in case, but without context they don't mean much and they really show off how good the cinematography is.
Spoiler: show

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha, I was actually just about to ask if anyone had watched that. Do you need to have watched the movies to enjoy it? I've got a broad overview of who the Xmen are etc but it's not a series of films or comic I've ever read or been in to.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

You only have to be familiar with the base premise of the X-Men universe. Everything else is self contained. :)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I've watched brotherhood and Kingsglaive and I think Im more confused about the story and world of FFXV then I was before...So many things dont make sense to me, some of the characters are better estabilshed but other then that Im still grasping at straws here when it comes to understanding what's going on.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

hmmmm, last episode of this season of Legion was a bit of a disappointment. Felt like they leaned into some quite lazy storytelling, and didn't focus on their strengths. Oh well! I'm still on board for Season 2.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Popped to see Ghost in the Shell on our way back from a wedding down south. It's an alright/10. They sliced the more philosophical elements out in favor of giving the major a backstory which hurt it for me a little. I really enjoy the thought provocation the 1995 rendition triggered for me. As for the CG and the rest of the artistry involved stellar/10. The city, locations, sfx, music were topnotch. For me personally though, I'll be sticking with the 1995 rendition as my favorite.

I've recently watched two seasons of the series too. Both were pretty great. Season one is a bit all over the place, but in a good way. It takes time to explore the pitfalls or dangers that could arise from a human to machine transition. Season two wasn't as adventurous but stayed on plot to flesh out the story it was trying to tell.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The finale TV movie for the series 'Solid State Society' is probably my favourite GITS thing. Probably because it focuses mainly on Togusa, who is for me the most interesting character (being the 'normal' guy in the group).
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Flabyo wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 9:21 am The finale TV movie for the series 'Solid State Society' is probably my favourite GITS thing. Probably because it focuses mainly on Togusa, who is for me the most interesting character (being the 'normal' guy in the group).
Togusa's my favorite if I'm honest. It always strikes me that he's the most vulnerable character having a life outside of the job and a family. I know the chief has a brother but they (in the series/films anyway) frame him as someone who puts the team first. I'll have to order Solid State Society. I'm finding it quite difficult to navigate the Amazon listings. You can't quite tell what's distinct from what's just a re-boxing of a series of the first film.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I am a big Ghost in the Shell fanboy, and my enthusiasm for the live-action version is pretty low. That being said, I think I should force myself to see it. After all, nothings really sacred - there's already the 1995 film, and other interpretations aren't going to make that version vanish. And who knows... I may even enjoy it.

The worst version I have already seen, which is the 2.0 "remastered" version of GITS (2008), with all the really ugly CG scenes added in. :oops: That was a low.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I watched the entire first season of Prepare To Try over the last month. If you don't know, it's 3 of the IGN lads, including Gav Murphy, and one of them who's never played Dark Souls before plays through the game. I really enjoyed it. If you like the IGN UK podcast and Dark Souls give it a try. All on YouTube.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

After hearing many good things about Stranger Things, I got around to watching it the past couple weeks. It is definitely worth watching. The Silent Hill vibes it gives off only helps matters. It was certainly a big risk to make a big focus of a show on kids but their acting was all good. My only real complaint for the series is that the kids seemed a bit too smart at times.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 12:21 am I am a big Ghost in the Shell fanboy, and my enthusiasm for the live-action version is pretty low. That being said, I think I should force myself to see it. After all, nothings really sacred - there's already the 1995 film, and other interpretations aren't going to make that version vanish. And who knows... I may even enjoy it.

The worst version I have already seen, which is the 2.0 "remastered" version of GITS (2008), with all the really ugly CG scenes added in. :oops: That was a low.
It's worth a watch if I'm honest. You do just have to judge it as a standalone piece of work. Michael Pitt is really good and the sheer artistry that's gone into the cityscapes and sfx is breath taking.