Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ThirdDrawing wrote: May 10th, 2017, 12:04 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: May 9th, 2017, 11:30 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: May 9th, 2017, 10:56 am I saw Alien Covenant today. Trust me when I say don't bother.
I haven't seen it, but I assume you've gained an even greater appreciation for the first two movies?

It has been getting some pretty mixed reviews...
I can count at least one major plot issue with the film. It changes the nature of the Alien series as a whole. I honestly hate the canon/non-canon argument for series, but I would argue these (Prometheus and Covenant) should be non-canon.
I'm going to draw a seemingly strange parallel: the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween is pretty terrible, and part of the reason for that (besides Rob Zombie not being a very good film-maker) is that by providing a back-story to Michael Myers, it takes away any mystic and tension, changing him from an unstoppable force of nature, to a not particularly interesting character. It's much more tense when there is seemly no rhyme or reason for his actions. Very little is made better by over-explaining everything, especially in horror.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I haven't watched the Rob Zombie remake (ew) but that seems like a good comparison.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Rob Zombie is a great film maker! House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects are classics of the genre!

Admittedly I've not seen any of his more recent work.
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote: May 10th, 2017, 10:37 am Rob Zombie is a great film maker! House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects are classics of the genre!

Admittedly I've not seen any of his more recent work.
Hmm... lets just agree to disagree on that one! ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Series 3 of Prepare To Try: Bloodborne started on Saturday. On YouTube. Love this series.
Maxie

Post by Maxie »

Just saw Logan and I liked it. It reminded me way too much of The Last of Us (in a good way) and Hugh Jackman there really looked like Joel in some angles.
Joshihatsumitsu

In the spirit of better-late-than-never I finally got through the Hannibal TV series. While in some ways it's disappointing that it got cancelled after three seasons, it's also not terribly surprising. It is beautifully self indulgent, and abstract, and artistic, and very operatic, and that it doesn't make concessions or condescend might make it a barrier to the casual viewer with only a passing interest.

I do love this show and easily recommend it. However if the show didn't get cancelled, and was renewed for a 4th or 5th season I imagine my feeling towards it would be very different. One of the things I respect about a show like Breaking Bad, was that Vince Gilligan knew there was only so far you could take the stories and characters, and the final season of that show was so well paced and put together.

Likewise, there may have been a feeling that they knew the season 3 of Hannibal would be the final chance to go for broke, and they certainly did everything to subvert expectations. Having a limited amount of time to tell a story can work wonders.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just got back from watching (and listening to) Guns N' Roses in London. Been wanting to see Axl, Duff and Slash share a stage for 30 years. It was worth the excruciating 9 and a half hour round trip...
Beck

Post by Beck »

Nice one. I took my wife to see them in Dublin, she's a massive fan and I can't stand them... it must be love ;) I've got to give it to them though, they put on a really good show and I was surprised to hear that Axel can sing live. They played so many songs as well and the tributes to Chris Cornell were really cool.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah Black Hole Sun was awesome. They do a great version of The Who's The Seeker too. Almost 3 hours, they definitely give you a good show.

Anyway - my girlfriend and I started watching The Leftovers (Sky Atlantic) at the weekend. Only 3 episodes in but loving it so far, and it's by one of the guys who wrote Lost (the greatest television show in the history of ever) so it was always going to be a winner in my book haha.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

That's a wrap on Better Call Saul Season 3. Thought it was much better than Season 2, which while very good was slow to get going. I'm hoping they can stick the landing like Breaking Bad did.
Mike Jackobs

Post by Mike Jackobs »

Yeah, been watching Better Call Saul season 3. That ending was pretty dark...
Sean

Post by Sean »

Pretty much only been watching comedies as of late. Found myself pleasantly surprised by The Good Place. Don't usually like major network tv shows, but, that was great from start to finish.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I finished the last episode of Planet Earth II tonight.

This show has some of the most breathtaking nature footage I've ever seen. But I think it's the editing and presentation that really set it apart from other documentaries. Action, romance, thriller, tragedy, comedy... It's incredible how many different genres they manage to explore through sheer directional prowess. Powerful stuff!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Finished Fargo Season 3. Not as perfect as Season 2, but still A tier TV. Worth watching for David Thewlis's turn as Varga alone, who is one of the more memorable villains I've seen on TV.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 9:43 pm
This show has some of the most breathtaking nature footage I've ever seen. But I think it's the editing and presentation that really set it apart from other documentaries. Action, romance, thriller, tragedy, comedy... It's incredible how many different genres they manage to explore through sheer directional prowess. Powerful stuff!
Snakes vs. lizards was more exciting and nail biteing than most big movie set pieces!
Joshihatsumitsu

I recently revisited The Raid (2011), as it had been a good while since I originally saw it.

As an Australian, I love that this (along with other Gareth Huw Evans films) did not come out of Hollywood (aka: the centre of the universe), but neighbouring Indonesia. I love that a group very talented actors and stunt people, along with incredibly talented people behind the camera and in post, put this movie together and made something so unique, and made something arguably better than anything that major studios were releasing. The editing and sound design for this movie adds so much to the fight scenes.

I'm looking forward to revisiting the second movie soonish. I have both these movies, plus Merantau, on Bluray, and damn if I don't give them a hug once in a while, just to let them know that they are dearly loved!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Raid is one of the best action movies ever made, in my opinion.
I felt like the second one bit a little more than it could chew in terms of plot, but its action scenes are as fantastic as its predecessor's.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 3rd, 2017, 6:53 am The Raid is one of the best action movies ever made, in my opinion.
I felt like the second one bit a little more than it could chew in terms of plot, but its action scenes are as fantastic as its predecessor's.
One valid criticism of the second movie is that at two and a half hours it's a bit long. That being said, I wouldn't change a thing about it. It's a movie that while I agree with some of the criticisms against it, I still love it. It's self-indulgent, but that's a plus when so much talent is on display.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Everyone is seeing Spider-Man Homecoming and I probably won't get to it for another week or so. Therefore I'm watching the excellent Spectacular Spider-Man series.