Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

skidoosh wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 8:09 pmIt's worth a watch if I'm honest. You do just have to judge it as a standalone piece of work. Michael Pitt is really good and the sheer artistry that's gone into the cityscapes and sfx is breath taking.
I will definitely have to give it a fair shot. After all, there are differences between the manga and the anime, and also differences again in the TV series, so it would be a bit a fair to single this current version for doing essentially the same thing.

And it has a pretty good cast. I would happily watch anything with Takeshi Kitano in it!
Joshihatsumitsu

For something a bit different...

If you're an anime nerd, or just have an appreciation for the style, Tokyo’s National Film Center is celebrating 100 of Japanese animation by making availible online digitised version of anime short made between 1917-1941 (original story here - http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201704040001.html), all for free.

This is the direct link - http://animation.filmarchives.jp/index.html.

Many of them go for around 4 minutes, and have no sound, but its an interesting document/snapshot of the time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not watching as such, but I found the entire Alan Partridge Knowing Me, Knowing You radio series (before it was on TV) on YouTube earlier and have been listening to them. I used to have them on CD, and they haven't aged at all. Still very good.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I have not watched the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell and have no interest but Kojima actually wrote a pretty good piece on the movie and the the influence and themes of the original works, worth a read for those who like GITS:
http://www.glixel.com/news/hideo-kojima ... ll-w475805
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: April 7th, 2017, 11:46 pm Not watching as such, but I found the entire Alan Partridge Knowing Me, Knowing You radio series (before it was on TV) on YouTube earlier and have been listening to them. I used to have them on CD, and they haven't aged at all. Still very good.
If you've never heard it, I can really recommend Knowing Knowing Me Knowing You, a spoof behind the scenes documentary of the radio show, with Armando Iannucci also on great form. I expect it's on YT.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's episode 6 of the radio show. It's on YouTube with the rest of the series :)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

What did people think of the last episode of Legion? I was sadly disappointed. :( On board for season 2 though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone watched Detectorists? BBC4 comedy, first two seasons are on Netflix now. Really really good, best new comedy show I've seen in years. Written by an featuring Mackenzie Crook, it's about an amateur metal detecting club. The closest thing I can compare it to is the much overlooked How Do You Want Me with Dylan Moran from the 90s. Black, dry comedy, faintly depressing, and excellent, beautifully realised characters. Seriously check it out.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Alex79uk wrote: April 9th, 2017, 11:24 pm Has anyone watched Detectorists? BBC4 comedy, first two seasons are on Netflix now. Really really good, best new comedy show I've seen in years. Written by an featuring Mackenzie Crook, it's about an amateur metal detecting club. The closest thing I can compare it to is the much overlooked How Do You Want Me with Dylan Moran from the 90s. Black, dry comedy, faintly depressing, and excellent, beautifully realised characters. Seriously check it out.
Funnily enough, my old man was on about that the other week. I watched the trailer but couldn't find it on the iPlayer. I'll give it a blast!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: April 9th, 2017, 8:14 am Yeah it's episode 6 of the radio show. It's on YouTube with the rest of the series :)
There are six eps in the main series, so I don't think this is the case. Anyway, glad it's on YT!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: April 10th, 2017, 6:09 am
Alex79uk wrote: April 9th, 2017, 8:14 am Yeah it's episode 6 of the radio show. It's on YouTube with the rest of the series :)
There are six eps in the main series, so I don't think this is the case. Anyway, glad it's on YT!
Hmm yeah you're right, Wikipedia has them listed wrong. It says episode 6 is the documentary but I just checked on YT and ep6 is a normal episode. Thinking back, I only ever had the first two CDs (2 eps per disc) so I don't think I've ever actually heard the documentary episode. I shall have to seek it out!
James

Post by James »

We finished Iron Fist last night. Plenty to enjoy, but a very strange (kinda rushed) ending. A couple of characters pulling 180s vs everything we've known about them up to this point.

I won't say more for sake of spoilers, but looking forward to see how (if) Netflix/Marvel can pull these 4+ characters together in Defenders.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

If anyone's looking for something different on UK Netflix (dunno about other regions) there's a New Zealand film called The Dead Lands. The easiest comparison I guess would be something like Gibson's Apocalypto in that it has an all-Māori cast and is spoken entirely in Māori and is set before Cook landed. I really enjoyed it, it does an engaging job of depicting aspects their ancient culture such as cannibalism and in particular, their fighting prowess.
James

Post by James »

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2.

Go. Watch it.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tonight and it was quite fun. Kurt Russell was quite good and I liked the cosmic weirdness of it.
Spoiler: show
Might be Stan Lee's best cameo yet. That ending though.....right in the feels. And I won't say anything more!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Better Call Saul Season 3

Man, is the cinematography in this show good. The shots of the landscape, and the way they block the characters in the scene. It's just top shelf stuff.

One complaint I've been seeing recently is that the Mike B story is becoming more interesting than the Saul A story. I don't disagree, but I get the sense these threads aren't going to remain separate for very long, and both characters are really compelling. Mike has the advantage of being more fleshed out already in Breaking Bad, whereas Saul was always a humour filled plot vehicle. He is retroactively a much more interesting character, thanks to this show.

Fargo Season 3

Early days, but I love what they're doing with Ewan McGregor's twin characters. Writing is still the sharpest of any show currently airing for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A few episodes of "When Louis Met..." have turned up on Netflix. Not the infamous Jimmy Saville one, but there are some good ones.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I saw Alien Covenant today. Trust me when I say don't bother.
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdDrawing wrote: May 9th, 2017, 10:56 am I saw Alien Covenant today. Trust me when I say don't bother.
I haven't seen it, but I assume you've gained an even greater appreciation for the first two movies?

It has been getting some pretty mixed reviews...
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: May 9th, 2017, 11:30 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: May 9th, 2017, 10:56 am I saw Alien Covenant today. Trust me when I say don't bother.
I haven't seen it, but I assume you've gained an even greater appreciation for the first two movies?

It has been getting some pretty mixed reviews...
I can count at least one major plot issue with the film. It changes the nature of the Alien series as a whole. I honestly hate the canon/non-canon argument for series, but I would argue these (Prometheus and Covenant) should be non-canon.