Thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower & Journey) - Cane & Rinse 31

Archive for issues 0 - 50
JaySevenZero
Admin

Thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower & Journey) - Cane & Rinse 31

Post by JaySevenZero » August 27th, 2012, 10:30 pm

This week we deliberate over Thatgamecompany’s offerings.

In this Issue Leon, Tony, Josh and Sean review the outstanding, innovative titles produced during Thatgamecompany’s three game deal with Sony; the soothing flOw, the beautiful Flower and the emotional Journey. The panel also contemplate the developer’s future post Kellee Santiago and PlayStation exclusivity.

Music used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Gratitude by Austin Wintory (flOw)

Track 2: Lazy Daydream by Vincent Diamante (Flower)

Track 3: Nascense by Austin Wintory (Journey)

Track 4: Apotheosis by Austin Wintory (Journey)

Cane & Rinse 31 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our PODCAST RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

LaikaMuttnik
Location: From Japan; been in Canada and France; now in Liverpool, UK

Re: Thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower & Journey) - Cane & Rinse

Post by LaikaMuttnik » September 20th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I've just written this in the C&R site's podcast blog for this episode, but thought I would write it here in the forum too :)

Journey recently won two awards in Japan – CEDEC (Computer Entertainment Developers Conference) Awards 2012 “Best Visual Arts Award” last month, and Japan Game Awards 2012 “Game Designers Award” which was just announced today at Tokyo Game Show!

I know this game was phenomenal around the world, but it seems that it got a really massive fan base in Japan. The twitter timeline under the hashtag #風ノ旅ビト (“Kaze no Tabibito” – Japanese title, meaning “Journeyer of the Wind”) is always very lively. People have been talking about their experience of the game, creating amazing fan art and crafts (some of them seen here: http://togetter.com/li/290277 ), and making friends with other fans.
Being Japanese myself, I can kinda instinctively understand why it’s so appealing to Japanese people – because of the way we were brought up in general, and perhaps the Shintoism and Buddhism spirit we all somewhat have deep in our heart – well, though I know we are all different, and I’m not even a religious person at all :)

And it’s really nice that people around the world find it moving and enjoy communicating with foreigners thanks to the simplicity of the game. This game deserves much more recognition and awards!

FlOw and Flower also are so simple yet so soothing and touching, I really admire thatgamecompany’s originality, and can’t wait for what new world they show us next!

Sean

Post by Sean » September 20th, 2012, 7:58 pm

That's pretty cool! I know Jenova Chen is hugely inspired by Ueda, so, I can understand, why (aside from what you mentioned) his work is admired over there. There are definitely some similarities to Ico in Journey.

Several months later, nothing's topped Journey yet, this year, IMO. I can't think of any other game, probably ever, that has actually "moved" me, in the way that game has. There are countless games that have inspired or triggered certain emotions, but, almost always intense ones, like fear, anxiety, or exhilaration. But, Journey tapped into something entirely different for me.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 20th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Yeah, flOw I never played and Flower I could take or leave, but Journey was an incredible piece of work.

Can you imagine a huge 100" screen installed in a gallery, with one small pad in front of it for people to interact with. To me, that would be art as relevant as anything else in the Tate Modern.

LaikaMuttnik
Location: From Japan; been in Canada and France; now in Liverpool, UK

Post by LaikaMuttnik » September 21st, 2012, 3:15 pm

Ah, nice to have some response! :)
Sean wrote:That's pretty cool! I know Jenova Chen is hugely inspired by Ueda, so, I can understand, why (aside from what you mentioned) his work is admired over there. There are definitely some similarities to Ico in Journey.

Several months later, nothing's topped Journey yet, this year, IMO. I can't think of any other game, probably ever, that has actually "moved" me, in the way that game has. There are countless games that have inspired or triggered certain emotions, but, almost always intense ones, like fear, anxiety, or exhilaration. But, Journey tapped into something entirely different for me.
Yea I've read Jenova Chen's interview mentioning the influence he got from Ueda-san, and definitely Journey has some ICO feel. Also perhaps his Chinese origin shares something cultural/ spiritual with us Japanese, I imagine.

I totally agree with you about this game being so moving. Its simplicity with no complicated story or explanation rather enhances the experience, doesn't it? It lets you freely imagine what happened to those creatures and ruins, and the way you build up the bond with a total stranger throughout the journey with the minimal way of communication is just phenomenal.
There's a Japanese term "ichi-go ichi-e" that this game reminded me (and lots of Japanese people) of - It means "one chance in a lifetime (each moment of your life is a precious, irreplaceable experience)" :)

This little comic strip by a Japanese Journey fan made me cry, and I'm sure you share the sentiment!
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=26230926
Spoiler: show
It's the last page that particularly got me - After a journey of wonderful experience with your partner, you suddenly find yourself thrown in the desert all alone again, and then "You have earned a trophy: Companion" comes up - It made me burst into tears!!
Wizard Of Odd wrote:Can you imagine a huge 100" screen installed in a gallery, with one small pad in front of it for people to interact with. To me, that would be art as relevant as anything else in the Tate Modern.
Oh my goodness, that would be absolutely amazing!! :D

countstex

Post by countstex » January 1st, 2013, 7:07 pm

Spent most of today watching Linda play through again a few times looking for secrets. As wonderful to watch as it is to play. And the secret in the Temple was so cool. And she picked up her white outfit so looks so much more angelic!