Team Ico - Cane & Rinse 4

Archive for issues 0 - 50
JaySevenZero
Admin

Team Ico - Cane & Rinse 4

Post by JaySevenZero » August 27th, 2012, 8:36 pm

These two great stories of four young people: ICO, Yorda, Wander, Mono and the eerie yet beautiful land(s) they live in have been rewarded with a sumptuous HD rerelease on PlayStation 3. What better time for a Cane and Rinse retrospective? Leon, Tony and Jay are joined by devout Team ICO fan Joshua Garrity to discuss both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus; their gameplay, aesthetics and narrative as well as speculating on how the two relate to one another.

Cane and Rinse 4 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our PODCAST RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Alex79uk

Re: Team Ico - Cane & Rinse 4

Post by Alex79uk » March 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

Guys, sorry I know this was recorded ages ago but maybe someone can remember? I've just finished Ico and would like to listen to the podcast without spoiling SOTC. Can anyone remember if you just talk about Ico for a bit, then Shadow for a bit (like in the 'That Game Company' podcast) or if the two games are intertwined throughout the podcast?

Thanks!!

James

Post by James » March 5th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Alex79uk wrote:Guys, sorry I know this was recorded ages ago but maybe someone can remember? I've just finished Ico and would like to listen to the podcast without spoiling SOTC. Can anyone remember if you just talk about Ico for a bit, then Shadow for a bit (like in the 'That Game Company' podcast) or if the two games are intertwined throughout the podcast?

Thanks!!
I've just checked and there's a split between the games at 0:46.15 or so. In theory that means you should be safe to listen that far, but I can't guarantee it without listening through again. Gimme three-quarters of an hour or so and I'll get back to you. :)

James

Post by James » March 5th, 2013, 11:07 pm

There are no specific spoilers for Shadow Of The Colossus in the Ico section of Issue 4. There are, however, a few subtle hints, and it's tough for me to pick the generally vague from the potentially spoilerific. If you don't want to know/suspect anything at all about it then it may be safest to wait.

Sorry I'm not more help. The last thing I want to do is advise you that it'll be fine and affect your experience of Shadow Of The Colossus.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 5th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Thanks, I think I'll avoid for now! Cheers for checking :)

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » March 6th, 2013, 2:27 am

Sorry for the late reply Alex, as this was one of the early episodes we included chapters in these podcasts and the first 45 mins are Ico and the rest is SotC. However, I can't remember if we discuss anything that could be deemed as a spoiler regarding the second game within that first section, so probably play safe and listen after you've played.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 22nd, 2015, 10:25 am

Ok, so this is a massive bit of thread necromancy, but this seemed the best place for it...

You may remember that ICO doesn't have much dialogue. Turns out the game originally had quite a bit more, and that the files for all of it are still present on the Japanese disc version (the data is blanked on the western releases)

It gives a little more backstory and character motivation to Yorda and the Queen.

You could argue that this ruins some of the mystery, and as it was cut anyway you should consider it non-canonical anyway, but it's an another interesting angle on the editing process they famously used of 'cutting away anything that wasn't necessary'.

The same person also applied their skills to Shadow of the Colossus, though there aren't any 'new' elements there it's more picking at the localisation and suggesting better translations.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 22nd, 2015, 11:26 am

Interesting thanks, I'll have a read of that at lunch time.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » April 11th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or post here. I missed SOTC the first time round, but I've just finished the remaster on PS4 and kind of wanted to get something of my chest. I'm not sure if games have just moved on since it was first released or if I would always have struggled with it, but I really didn't get on well with this.
I think the art style is superb and I think it's great that there are companies that are trying to do different things in the medium of videogames, but I found the majority of the game either frustrating or disappointing.
The game world is beautiful and striking...but there's very little to do in it.
There are towering mountains, melancholy lakes and picturesque ravines, but you really just spend your time following your sword to the next objective marker/boss. Because you are just going from one objective to the next, I felt no real sense of exploration and discovery. I spent most of the journey sections thinking that it was a lovely game world, but that it was a shame that there wasn't more to actually do in it.
The fights with the collosi (Colosusses??) had great potential, but there were issues that ruined them for me. They look superb with a really distinctive feel and with highly creative ways of fighting and defeating them. Unfortunately, the controls just aren't precise enough to make the collossus fights any fun. The battles would quickly become a chore. First a frustrating several minutes of working out what finicky process you have to go through to hit the weak points and then an even longer period of trying to enact that process. During the battles I would inevitably fall off or be shaken off multiple times. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for the Team to try and programme a control system for your character and physics for that character's movement that can cope with the ever changing planes of movement as you crawl up a giant beast that is shaking it's arm up and down and side to side...and of course, it doesn't work, or not perfectly anyway. There were multiple times that I fell off because my character randomly jumped in a different direction than I had intended, plummeting to the bottom to sigh before starting the whole frustrating process again.
The recovery animation for the protagonist is frustratingly slow. I appreciate that being whacked in the face by a fifty foot creature made of rock would probably leave you a bit winded, but the protracted wait for the little dude to get up again just added to the sense of frustration every time he was knocked down. The slow recovery time would sometimes leave you effectively stunlocked especially by the smaller lion/bull enemies, as they would hit you again just as you get back to your feet!

There is a lot that I like and admire about this game and I feel almost guilty about criticising it, particularly as I am aware of how well-regarded it is. Sadly though, for me, playing through this game felt less like a fun time and more like a chore.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Hi Nupraptor.

As we are often at pains to point out, there's no game that everybody likes and the issues you have with SotC are certainly not yours alone. In fact if I recall correctly, we cover at least some of the qualms you have in our (ancient) podcast.

I'm also currently playing through the 2018 Bluepoint remake and largely enjoying it, though as with the original version (and the PS3 HD version), I don't have the same love for it as (say) our Josh does for example, because I also find some of the gameplay elements irksome.

However, the new version in 4K HDR on PS4 Pro and my shiny new TV does look absolutely sensational!
As glorious as I think Breath of the Wild looks - even at a modest 720p on Wii U - I am fantasising about a future 'realistic' Zelda instalment set in a world that looks like this one...

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » April 11th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Haven't listened to this episode yet, but looking forward to it! I actually think that playing BoTW earlier this year is one of the things that spoiled SoTC for me. The BoTW world feels similar in many ways, but has so much more going on. There's always a secret to discover, an amusing side quest or some baddies to fight in a creative fashion - and crucially, despite the complexity of the game world, it is always mechanically sound.
Maybe I need an SoTC remake with BoTW graphics and a gang of jumbo Hinoxes to conquer!