Ninja Theory - Cane & Rinse 7

Archive for issues 0 - 50
JaySevenZero
Admin

Ninja Theory - Cane & Rinse 7

Post by JaySevenZero » August 27th, 2012, 8:44 pm

The gloves are off this week as no fewer than five panellists tear it up over Ninja Theory’s passion-inspiring pair. Hosts Leon and Tony are joined by regular contributor Darren Forman as well as Cane and Rinse debutants Paul Rooney (Ready-Up) and Gary Blower (Gameburst) to reconsider the merits and drawbacks of this striking duo of titles and why they have bought almost twenty copies between them.

Music used in this show is as follows;

Outro TrackPS3 XMB Track (Title Unknown) – Nitin Sawhney – Enslaved: Odyssey To The West soundtrack

Cane & Rinse 7 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our PODCAST RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

A game so wonderful, we're allowing you to see it with your eyes in this Quick Rinse!

link6616

Re: Ninja Theory - Cane & Rinse 7

Post by link6616 » October 28th, 2012, 3:51 am

Couldn't resist, your podcast pushed me from interested to actually buying.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 28th, 2012, 5:02 am

One or both of the games?

link6616

Post by link6616 » October 28th, 2012, 6:53 am

Oh, sorry, should have mentioned... Enslaved.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » October 28th, 2012, 6:57 am

Good choice (the better of the two in my opinion), it the best thing about picking up these games a while after they've been released in that you get the same experience but at a fraction of the price! :)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 28th, 2012, 8:10 am

I concur that Enslaved is the more fun of the two to play.

link6616

Post by link6616 » October 28th, 2012, 9:42 am

Mmm, I thought the demo was interesting, but such a mixed opinion on it from so many people made it hard to commit. But right now I'm working on trying more games by western developers, a big gap in my gaming knowledge.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 28th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Enslaved is a game you should defiantly try out, the two main characters are very good and the story between them is good. The final 3rd
Spoiler: show
Pigsy onwards
let the game down a bit and I didn't like the ending.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » October 29th, 2012, 1:09 am

link6616 wrote:Mmm, I thought the demo was interesting, but such a mixed opinion on it from so many people made it hard to commit. But right now I'm working on trying more games by western developers, a big gap in my gaming knowledge.
The demo was interesting but I found that it wasn't entirely representative of the final, superior, game.

link6616

Post by link6616 » October 29th, 2012, 11:15 am

Mmm, I recall you guys saying something to that effect on the podcast.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » November 20th, 2012, 12:14 am

I got Enslaved near launch, and I got a really great deal on it since it was such a flop. I was just about to buy it pre-owned in some shop when I saw one of the shop workers putting a bunch of brand new games in the cheapo bin, and Enslaved was in there, for a cheaper price than pre-owned! I was pretty pleased with that.

When I first played the game I really liked it. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it. The game is gorgeous and the animation, especially in cut scenes as amazing. I'm also a Serkis fan, so I appreciated his performance. But later on I looked back on my memories of it, and I realised that perhaps it wasn't as good as I thought it was.

It was quite a while after I finished it, but the memories were still fresh in my mind. I realised just how linear and directed the game was, and how it's almost completely without challenge. Even when I first played it I wasn't a big fan of the controls either, particularly in combat. Combos and things were cool, but there always seemed to be a delay with input. It was manageable, but I don't think it was excusable. The game would have been a lot better if that wasn't a problem. I get that Monkey is supposed to be a bruiser, but that doesn't mean that the game can get away with unresponsive controls. You can still have a weighty combat system with instant command responses. And although he's a big guy, Monkey is supposed to be very agile. He shouldn't control like he's on some sort of sedative.

I realised that the story was pretty rubbish too. At first I thought it was good, but I think perhaps I got carried away with the simple fact that Serkis was in the game and the technology they were using. But if you look at the story itself, almost nothing happens. There's next to no character development, and Trip destroys the ending. Pigsy was the only genuinely good part of the story.

That said I'm pretty optimistic about the Devil May Cry reboot. Gameplay videos of it so far make it look really fantastic. I really like the direction they're taking the series in, but I have some very slight hang-up. There's the issue of the game only being 30fps for a start. To be honest, I'm not really that bothered by the simple fact that it is 30fps, as plenty of fast-paced games are fine with it, but it's how Ninja Theory have been talking about it that worry me slightly. They seem overly eager to persuade us that even though it's 30fps, it feels like 60. Right... That makes me a little suspicious. Also I'm kind of worried about the combat itself. Gameplay videos make it look mind-blowing, but I'm worried it might have the same kind of command delay problem as Enslaved. That would kill DmC instantly, and you can't really tell if that's an issue until you get your hands on it yourself. Luckily the demo is coming out very soon.

Travis

Post by Travis » December 16th, 2012, 10:50 am

I loved Enslaved and the DLC despite some flaws which I happily overlooked.