Heavy Rain - Cane & Rinse 100

Archive for issues 51 - 100
JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Heavy Rain - Cane & Rinse 100

Post by JaySevenZero » September 30th, 2013, 5:01 pm

“I’m trying to keep a handle on it. But… it’s difficult. It gets more and more difficult.”

Concluding both our Quantic Dream series and Volume Two of the Cane and Rinse podcast, we turn our attentions to 2010′s PlayStation 3 exclusive Heavy Rain. David Cage’s interactive noir certainly achieved its ambition of generating emotional responses, as you will hear from Leon, Tony, Sean and Jason… Jason! JAAASOOON! in this, our one hundredth issue.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Last Breath by Normand Corbeil
Track 2: Before the Storm by Normand Corbeil

Cane & Rinse 100 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Dante Fireseed
Guardian

Re: Heavy Rain - Cane & Rinse 100

Post by Dante Fireseed » October 1st, 2013, 2:13 pm

should be a good one! Looking forward to listening to Jay's vitriol!

Congrats on reaching 100

Scrustle
Guardian

Post by Scrustle » October 1st, 2013, 10:19 pm

Great episode. I enjoyed the ranting! Although I don't want to pass final judgement on David Cage's games myself, since I've not played them, from seeing footage and hearing what people say about his games, sometimes it baffles me as to how anyone takes him seriously. Especially looking at Fahrenheit.

But what I really wanted to talk about was the comparison of Cage to Shyamalan. Specifically the point of how they are good at telling stories, but just tell bad stories. I would say take a look at The Last Airbender. Fantastic story, and one of the best TV shows ever made. Then look what Shyamalan did to it.

I also really look forward to Volume 3! Can't wait.

Sean
Master Rahool

Post by Sean » October 1st, 2013, 10:43 pm

That's a good call. I was thinking more of stuff like Signs, or The Village. Those movies are shot really well, with excellent music, good tension and suspense. But, the stories fall flat, especially towards the end.

RoboticMonk3y
Guardian

Post by RoboticMonk3y » October 2nd, 2013, 9:57 am

Interesting podcast,
Having never owned a PS3, there are a lot of games that I'm aware of, but have slipped by.
I can't help but feel there was an awful lot of devil's advocate going on though... :P
Sean, your new mic sounded good.

Sean
Master Rahool

Post by Sean » October 2nd, 2013, 2:08 pm

Thanks, man! Only took 4 damn mics to get there, but, I'm happy with this one.

JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Post by JaySevenZero » October 2nd, 2013, 2:32 pm

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I can't help but feel there was an awful lot of devil's advocate going on though... :P
Not from me I assure you! I've have an axe to grind with Mr Cage since I finished that particular game over 3 years ago and it's only gotten worse each and every time he gets up on a stage and proclaims his intentions in that conceited, self-congratulatory way.

RoboticMonk3y
Guardian

Post by RoboticMonk3y » October 2nd, 2013, 3:06 pm

ha! :)
I very much enjoyed your spirited rants Jay!

Todinho
Guardian

Post by Todinho » October 2nd, 2013, 5:16 pm

hahaha finnished listening,the hatred was strong is this one I think Jay's hatred for Heavy Rain might be bigger than mine for Prey and Spore.

DomsBeard
Guardian

Post by DomsBeard » October 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

First time I've thought that a show has been overly critical of a game and disagreed with what's been said but what do I know. Each to their own I guess but I don't get comparing it to Fight Club, books etc as if you watch a film or read a book it's exactly the same where as if you'd played Heavy Rain twice you wouldn't get the same story which is what Cage was getting at. Also you can enjoy things that are not greatly acted or directed.

DomsBeard
Guardian

Post by DomsBeard » October 2nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

But I didn't pay attention to or read anything Cage said before playing Heavy Rain.

JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Post by JaySevenZero » October 2nd, 2013, 5:59 pm

DomsBeard wrote:First time I've thought that a show has been overly critical of a game and disagreed with what's been said but what do I know.
Well, we just gave our honest opinion of the game, which just happened to fall mostly on the side of negativity but that's not to dismiss anybody's opinion if they actually enjoyed it - your own opinion of the game is as valid as anyone else.
DomsBeard wrote:Also you can enjoy things that are not greatly acted or directed.
Some people can, but I'm not one of them. I'm as critical of any big budget film if the performances are crap (and because Heavy Rain cost $52 million, I'd regard it as the equivalent of a big budget flick), if it's badly directed or perhaps worse of all - if it's badly written.

A better cinematic comparison to Heavy Rain would perhaps be the more recent Prometheus (with the exception of at least having some good actors), where it had the budget, great visuals and production values but a script so full of holes and contrivances that it bordered on the ridiculous.

DomsBeard
Guardian

Post by DomsBeard » October 2nd, 2013, 8:39 pm

Yep can't argue with the above, I love the fact that videogames has grown so much that debates and such can happen because of this.

Oh and Prometheus was totally shit ;)

hazeredmist
Guardian

Re: Heavy Rain

Post by hazeredmist » October 4th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Well that was certainly an experience... Probably the worst slating a game has had on the C&R shows I've listened to, Jay's sheer hatred for David Cage was entertaining to say the least. A bit more back & forth jousting (such as a certain other two C&R regulars are known for) may have been good for contrast, but Jay wasn't going to be beaten with such anti-passion so a true foil would have been futile. Great work as ever.

As for my own views I'm not going to go as far as saying I regret listening to this show, but I do suddenly feel like a cretinous, vacuous shell of a human being for liking the game... Cheers guys... :lol:
3DS friend code: 4141-3447-2734 - Nintendo/PSN/Xbox/Steam ID: hazeredmist
http://www.redmistrecordings.co.uk / http://www.bassdrive.com / http://www.twitter.com/hazeredmist

Sean
Master Rahool

Post by Sean » October 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Aw, man. That bums me out. I ended up being a little tougher on it than I thought I'd be, but, as I said on the show, I pretty much agreed with the correspondence we received (yours included), which was, surprisingly, mostly positive!

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » October 4th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Yes, what Sean said. There are plenty of people, including the majority of our always considered and intelligent correspondents, who like Heavy Rain very much.

It just so happened that the particular panel assembled for this one were mostly negative on the game. We'd never want listeners to feel bad for liking a game (unless it was truly a hateful racist rape-fest* or something).

*Coming to Xbox One and PS4 in 2015

DomsBeard
Guardian

Post by DomsBeard » October 4th, 2013, 6:28 pm

hazeredmist wrote:Well that was certainly an experience... Probably the worst slating a game has had on the C&R shows I've listened to, Jay's sheer hatred for David Cage was entertaining to say the least. A bit more back & forth jousting (such as a certain other two C&R regulars are known for) may have been good for contrast, but Jay wasn't going to be beaten with such anti-passion so a true foil would have been futile. Great work as ever.

As for my own views I'm not going to go as far as saying I regret listening to this show, but I do suddenly feel like a cretinous, vacuous shell of a human being for liking the game... Cheers guys... :lol:
Ha ha I know what you mean. Make sure you read the feedback on the show thread though.

JaySevenZero
Vanguard

Post by JaySevenZero » October 6th, 2013, 12:51 pm

I moved the previous four posts from the Heavy Rain game thread to this one as they were specifically about the podcast so it seemed more relevant that they were here instead.

Whippledip
Guardian

Post by Whippledip » September 4th, 2017, 12:06 am

Would this game have fared any better in your review if you'd played it like this?

Heavy Rain but 500% facial animations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5EuMxsOic

ratsoalbion
Vanguard

Post by ratsoalbion » September 4th, 2017, 10:02 am

Yes.