El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Cane & Rinse 91

Archive for issues 51 - 100
ratsoalbion
Admin

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Cane & Rinse 91

Post by ratsoalbion » July 31st, 2013, 10:07 am

“Allow me to tell you a tale. It took place 360,000… No, 14,000 years ago.”

Ignition Tokyo, with Okami’s Takeyasu Sawaki at the helm, set out to tell a tale that possibly took place 360,000 years ago, or 14,000 year ago, we’re not entirely sure. Drawing from christian and judaic mythology, and specifically The Book of Enoch, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron combines combo driven gameplay, with a wildly creative aesthetic, to portray Enoch’s mission to return the seven fallen angels to heaven. Featuring special guest Sean Bell from Midnight Resistance and Joypod.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Theme of El Shaddai by Masato Koda and Kento Hasegawa
Track 2: The Faraway Creation by Masato Koda and Kento Hasegawa

Cane & Rinse 91 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Scrustle

Re: El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Cane & Rinse 91

Post by Scrustle » July 31st, 2013, 8:01 pm

Another great episode, naturally.

But on that point about them anticipating that they would make a sequel, they actually did. Although I've also heard they did run out of time/money/whatever near the end of the development, it was always supposed to be more than a single game. It was even supposed to be a huge franchise. They even sold El Shaddai jeans for a ludicrously high price. Seems like an odd choice to try to turn something like this in to a big brand, but that was always the plan. With the IP rights returning to Takeyasu, I'm really looking forward to that plan perhaps finally being realised. It would sure be crazy to see something like El Shaddai rivalling the likes of Call of Duty and Mario.

It seems some aspects of the game were a little more controversial than I expected them to be. But I can understand why people would make those criticisms. With the combat, in particular. I went through a while of disliking that in my playthrough of the game. I can see why someone would think it was a repetitive chore, especially when you compare it against games with so much intricacy like DMC or Bayonetta. I also agree that the R/P/S system could have been much clearer. It took me a long while to really memorise how it worked, and for a lot of the earlier parts of the game I played with the guide book open on the page that explained it. But despite those shortcomings, I still ended up enjoying it by the end. Thus my comments about it seeming like it was more enjoyable than it had the right to be.

I hadn't heard of that bug though. I never experienced it, although I did have some problems with the 360 version. I did look and I do have the Achievement that was mentioned to be related. It happens to be called "Rest in Peace" by the way.

Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 » August 2nd, 2013, 10:07 am

Surprised to hear that Karl Moon was the voice of reason on this podcast :-P
I was contemplating picking up the game again until he chimed up and echoed just about everything I remembered hating about the game.

While the game was only a small and quirky title, it was probably my bigest disappointment of 2011. Having preordered it as soon as I laid eyes on the glorious screenshots I was eagerly anticipating something special. What I got was wonky platforming, boring combat and an incomprehensable story. I'm not generally one to trade games in, especially if they are interesting or unique, but my frustration and overwhelming disappointment pushed me over the edge in this instance. Just goes to show that amazingly ambitious visual design does not always translate into a great game :cry:

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 2nd, 2013, 7:40 pm

Benjo321 wrote:Surprised to hear that Karl Moon was the voice of reason on this podcast :-P
Haha, thanks... wait, what? ;)

Todinho

Post by Todinho » August 3rd, 2013, 2:34 am

So let me get this straight this game features a giant land shark as the final boss,has you joining up with lucifer to save the world while he chats with god on his cellphone while you hunt down nephilins that look like something out of LocoRoco?
Im so getting this!No mechanics could be so bad as to make this not worth it!

Ghost World

Post by Ghost World » August 4th, 2013, 7:23 am

Well done guys that was a cracking episode! Fun, informative and like every good show you've made me want to pick up a game I had no previous intentions of playing!

I think maybe Karl could have aired a few more of his complaints throughout the show rather than saving them up for one big reveal at the end but in a way it helped the pod flow a little smoother.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 4th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Ghost World wrote:I think maybe Karl could have aired a few more of his complaints throughout the show rather than saving them up for one big reveal at the end but in a way it helped the pod flow a little smoother.
I didn't mention a few times through the show, but it's really not an easy topic to discuss, so full credit to Josh who did an excellent job hosting. Because it was so difficult I wanted it to flow better than me just breaking it up at every section.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » August 4th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. This was a hard one to host.

dmarks

Post by dmarks » March 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm

Sorry for reviving an old thread, and it's been a while since I listened to the podcast, but I recall you guys mentioning a mobile game in the franchise but not many details about it. So I thought I'd fill in the blanks.

"El Shaddai Social Battle" was actually released, for the Japanese market only, back early April 2012, but the service shut down at the end of August the same year. Developed by Imagica Digitalscape and published by GREE, it was a collectible card game for Android (with a web app version for keitai feature phones, according to some reports) where you "raise angels to to battle against fallen angels who plot revenge against God". Needless to say, apart from the art style and backstory it apparently had very little in common with the console game.

Article on Famitsu concerning the launch: http://app.famitsu.com/20120406_52198/

...and one on the closure from another industry publication: http://gadget.itmedia.co.jp/gg/articles ... ws094.html

On the bright side, a completely ridiculous ad was produced, featuring a middle aged dude lip-syncing to the voice of Ryota Takeuchi (voice actor of Lucifel in the Japanese version of the original.) If you look closely you can see some nephilim fooling around in the background.

Disclaimer: I work for GREE. :oops:

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 31st, 2014, 2:14 pm

No need to apologise for reviving an old thread - or the self-promotion ;)
Part of the Cane and Rinse thing is going back to the back catalogue and talking about older games and podcasts.
We're always grateful for useful information like this too, so thanks!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » April 4th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Wow, thanks for posting that information and here of all places!

Top stuff. :-)