Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Cane & Rinse 95

Archive for issues 51 - 100
JaySevenZero
Admin

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Cane & Rinse 95

Post by JaySevenZero » August 26th, 2013, 10:52 am

"Agh! I knew it! I knew there were ninjas around here!"

Two and a half years after they released the first of the Splinter Cell series of games in November of 2002, Ubisoft gave us, what many consider is the high-point of the series to date - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. James Carter, Darren Foreman and Karl Moon avoid the infra-red cameras and various armed patrols to give us their thoughts regarding the third game of the ongoing Splinter Cell series.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: The Lighthouse by Amon Tobin
Track 2: Ruthless (Reprise) by Amon Tobin

Cane & Rinse 95 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Woodfella

Re: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Cane & Rinse 95

Post by Woodfella » August 26th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Just listened and it's a great one. Good job lads and thanks for reading my thoughts out.

I had completely forgotten about the shotgun, used to have great fun sneaking up as close as you could get before blasting them.

Oh and what Karl said at the end made me think on. If Hitman Blood money is a stealth game, which it is I suppose, then I'd like to retract my statement of Chaos theory being "the best stealth game" . I love Blood Money , played it so much(probably the most after Dark souls) and prefer it to SC:CT, just.
My style is impetuous

Todinho

Post by Todinho » August 27th, 2013, 6:47 am

So as someone that has only played and hated conviction and has judged the entire splinter cell series based on that game alone would you recomend I play this game?Cause this whole best stealth game claims are pretty bold and made me interested in giving the game a go.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 27th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Woodfella wrote:Oh and what Karl said at the end made me think on. If Hitman Blood money is a stealth game, which it is I suppose, then I'd like to retract my statement of Chaos theory being "the best stealth game" . I love Blood Money , played it so much(probably the most after Dark souls) and prefer it to SC:CT, just.
That's two of us at least! Blood Money really is brilliant.
Todinho wrote:So as someone that has only played and hated conviction and has judged the entire splinter cell series based on that game alone would you recomend I play this game?Cause this whole best stealth game claims are pretty bold and made me interested in giving the game a go.
Definitely. Conviction really isn't a stealth game because ultimately you're the hunter picking them off and stealth games are predominantly about avoiding confrontation entirely and focusing on specific tasks. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is the complete opposite of Conviction and is, for my money, a much superior game because it has an identity.

The HD Collection is really cheap and you can even buy the games individually on the Playstation Store if you wanted to just play Chaos Theory. There is an overarching storyline throughout all the games, something we probably should have made clearer on the show, however each game can be played for their individual storylines too (although, as we did say on the show, they're merely a backdrop to the actual gameplay.)

Give it a go and let us know what you think. It's a much more *serious* feeling game than Splinter Cell: Conviction and, as a result, much less forgiving.

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 27th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I'd also like to add that after the recording of the podcast I actually got the Platinum Trophy on Playstation 3 for Chaos Theory. Yay.

Woodfella

Post by Woodfella » August 27th, 2013, 7:15 pm

NokkonWud wrote: That's two of us at least! Blood Money really is brilliant..
It really is, one of the few I've 100%ed. Was really quite disappointed with Absolution, they bloody Convictioned it! Is it on the big list o' games to do a podcast on? That'd be grand
My style is impetuous

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 27th, 2013, 11:35 pm

It is and I know both myself and James would be up for discussing it, though it would likely be an all-things Hitman instead.

Woodfella

Post by Woodfella » August 28th, 2013, 1:46 am

Todinho wrote:So as someone that has only played and hated conviction and has judged the entire splinter cell series based on that game alone would you recomend I play this game?Cause this whole best stealth game claims are pretty bold and made me interested in giving the game a go.

I was not a big fan of conviction, played it through on realistic and didnt find it THAT offensive but chaos theory is in another league. Give it a go!
My style is impetuous

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 28th, 2013, 9:36 am

Excellently, Clint "Click Nothing" Hocking himself has written a piece inspired by the podcast: http://www.clicknothing.com/click_nothi ... spect.html
:)

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 28th, 2013, 3:27 pm

BRILLIANT! :D

jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater » August 28th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Just finished the podcast and wanted to add my thanks for another great listen!

jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater » August 28th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Oh and I totally forgot about the guards being able to hear you talk on multiplayer. The enemy team could also hear you on spies vs. mercs. Great touch and criminally under used in other multiplayer games!

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » August 28th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Glad you enjoyed the show JB, and thank you for letting us know :).