The Monster Hunter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

The Monster Hunter thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

With MH3U imminent for 3DS and Wii U, do we have any 'mon-han' fans here on the C&R forum?

Until right now I've just played about an hour of the first PSP edition (offline only) about seven years ago. I liked what little I saw but it was intimidating.
I'm about to roll up a character in MH3U. Nervous and excited!
8-)
dezm0nd

Re: The Monster Hunter thread

Post by dezm0nd »

I've only really dabbled in the series on PSP with a couple of dedicated players at the time when I was at Mastertronic. I only remember being rubbish and that's a massive reason why I'm giving this the cold shoulder. It's also releasing in a busy month so I probably shouldn't... but that's what we all say. I'll crumble under the hype.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

My nephew was heavily into this game a few years ago but since he's Japanese I'm guessing that it was quite a different experience than it would have been over here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Do it dez - we can party up online!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been looking at MH3U as a reason to get a Wii U, but I'm not sure on it. I've never really played a Monster Hunter game before and I hear they are very hard to get in to and require a lot of teamwork. Even though I like the concept and what I've seen of the game looks good, those few things kind of pushing me away from it.

Are they really true though? Is it really such a ball buster? What about the multiplayer? Is it really necessary and what exactly does it involve?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ratsoalbion wrote:Do it dez - we can party up online!
You smooth talker, you.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

If I had a wii u I'd be all over this. Put a few hours in on the psp back in the day, but its near unplayable without a second analogue stick come the harder battles.

Loved what I played though, and would love to see it on 360/PS3 one day.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

There actually have been versions of the game on PS3 and 360, but they were only released in Japan.

What's even more strange is that the one on PS3 was a port of a PSP game, while the 360 one was a completely original game. I have no idea how they thought that it was worth creating a completely new game exclusively for the 360, and then only release it in Japan.
robschach

Post by robschach »

I have just bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) for my PS Vita. It's my first go at MH and I am conpletely hooked. I wish a proper Vita game would be released with slightly less clunky combat controls and a right analogue stick camera control would be nice.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Caved in and bought this on the Wii U sooner than later due to the fact that I couldn't find it in a shop anywhere and I have the feeling that it'll disappear soon. (That's how I justified it)

If anyone fancies setting up a regular MH night each week, count me in!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I ordered myself a Wii U and the game myself a few days ago. Should be arriving soon, so I'd totally be up for weekly monster hunts! I have a feeling the multiplayer in this game is suited to that type of arrangement, rather than just hopping online with randoms.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Absolutely and hopefully with Mr Leon aka the Overlord doing his research on the game he can give us a few pointers during our hunts.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I wish! I'm about 7-8 hours in now and still scratching the surface. I think I need to party up with some experienced Hunters to learn some more useful stuff.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've actually found a series of blogs which gives a pretty good introduction to the game which are pretty useful.

Part 1 - General introduction
Part 2 - Weapon classes
Part 3 - Armour

I hear there's a lot of info just generally on the internet if you look for it, including this guide, which I hear is very well put together, but you have to pay for, and is currently not up to date with MH3U.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'd be more than happy to pony up for it when it adds the ultimate stuff!
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Love it. My first Monster Hunter experience so I've got a lot to learn!

The tutorials do a decent enough job of teaching the basics, but they do go on a bit longer than they need to (hey, golden fishing quest, I'm looking at you!). I think a guide or faqs might be useful for planning out weapon and armour sets or finding where's best to farm particular resources.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Scrustle wrote:I have no idea how they thought that it was worth creating a completely new game exclusively for the 360, and then only release it in Japan.
This is one of the biggest mistakes in gaming. I'm sure it'd have done great if they had given it a worldwide release, I know I'd have been all over it.

I'm currently jealous of all you WiiU owners. Really jealous.
robschach

Post by robschach »

I'm having a great time on the Vita, just by myself of course. Just hit the 12-13 hour mark and it's fantastic. 50 minutes to hunt what turned out to be a dragon. For some reason I didn't have enough whetstones equipped so my weapon ended up being screwed but managed to beat the dragon with 15 seconds left. Nail biting stuff. So addictive. I find myself hoping I'm doing things the right way but would certainly love to chat with some experienced hands about it.
robschach

Post by robschach »

I have completed the 1* and 2* elder missions but I'm struggling with the current Urgent Mission and when I go to the 'easy' guild missions I am struggling with some of the 1* missions. Am I missing something here? Obviously those guild ones are for multiple people to join together but they are doable solo. I can't improve weapons or armour any further because it requires items I have no access to. Getting a bit frustrating now and concerned I'm missing something.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmm you're a bit ahead of me so I don't have any useful insight at this stage I'm afraid. Try tweeting @captaintoss Sean Bell - he's well into Monster Hunter.