The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's a bit of a chalk and cheese choice.

Do you want to play a simple, cutesy, creative pootling about sort of game for about 20 minutes a day? Or do you want to get involved in an epic, in-depth action RPG that can absorb for hours?

They're both excellent, but quite different (other than that you can pick flowers, go fishing and catch bugs in both).

Hope this helps ;)
Rich

Post by Rich »

ratsoalbion wrote:It's a bit of a chalk and cheese choice.

Do you want to play a simple, cutesy, creative pootling about sort of game for about 20 minutes a day? Or do you want to get involved in an epic, in-depth RPG that can absorb for hours?

They're both excellent, but quite different (other than that you can pick flowers, go fishing and catch bugs in both).

Hope this helps ;)
I've never played an Animal Crossing so I'm quite keen to try it out. I've played a fair amount of Tri and Freedom Unite and I know I'd enjoy Ultimate but I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling of it being the lesser version of a great game.

Animal Crossing it is!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ah if I'd know that then... yes - good choice!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I claimed my Animal Crossing code today, too! Should be here on release day alongside the AC themed 3DS XL.

Gemma, my partner, just asked when's it out. It's just fever pitch in casa de Gargette!
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

I bought a 3DS at launch and really enjoyed several games esp Mario 3D land, OoT, Pullblox, Ghost Recon. I then perhaps hastily decided to sell it at the start of the year. This was based on a few factors inc imminent arrival of my son (less time and money) and not having bought a game for it for more than a year. There were some games I was interested in (Starfox 64, RE Revelations, Layton, NSMB2) but not enough to buy when I had a massive backlog.

Cue a few months later- a string of great releases, good offers on XLs and nintendo's so many games promotion and I'm back on board. My hasty decision gave me a great opportunity to upgrade to the fantastic XL.

Unfortunately I no longer have my ambassador games but I now have

Luigi's Mansion 2
Monster Hunter 3 ultimate
Super Street Fighter 4
Mario Kart 7 (never played enough of this first time round)
Fallblox
Super Mario 3d land (had to re-buy as my favourite game on the system)

I'm definitely gonna pick up Fire Emblem which leaves DKCR or animal crossing for free. In two minds as strangely never played an animal crossing game. Who knows maybe ill end up with both
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

A few reviews in and it's fair to say Animal Crossing won't be disappointing many! The wait for next weeks code is starting to become a bit exciting.

Might be time to throw the 3DS back into the community gaming section with Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2 & Mario Kart 7 in our collective hands (whoops, just remembered my copy of MK7 is on vacation). Still got my copies of SSFIV and DOA:D too if any fights are on the cards.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of anticipation for Animal Crossing: New Leaf!

I've actually never played anything from the series before (perhaps that's why I'm so excited?) but pre-ordered this after listening to the excellent C&R episode on the series and just can't wait to get stuck into a bit of meandering whimsy.

I haven't played anything of this kind of pace and tone since the excellent Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise on 360 (which I'd highly recommend if you haven't tried it), and looking at the encouraging reviews scores coming through, we're in for a treat....
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

Strangely as a big Nintendo fan I have never played an animal crossing game. Interested after listening to the podcast I ended up choosing it a as my free download after getting Luigi's mansion 2, MH3U and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Getting hyped after reading the reviews. Looks like my first animal crossing will be a very good one
Sinclair Gregstrum

Well today just took a turn for shit.....

Just got off a train and left my white limited edition 3DS XL on there :cry:

Still got the case in my bag but lost 3 games as the Ocarina of Time cartridge was still in it (lost a lot of hours of play on that now!), and Super Mario 3D Land and Professor Layton were installed on the system.

Absolutely gutted...... :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh man. I don't even know what to say :(
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh, shit! Sorry to hear that man.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

That sucks dude. Especially losing the downloadable games which are tied to the system rather than to your account. I know if it had been stolen if you send a police report to Nintendo they can arrange transferring the games to another system. Not sure about when it is lost. Best of luck

If only it was an xbox one and games you lost then you could simply re download them on a new system and get your saves back from the cloud ;-)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Thanks for the sympathy gents!

I'm going to my home contents insurance folk when I get in as I've got my fingers firmly crossed that I may be able to claim on that and not have to shell out for a new one (I must give the buggers enough money each month for something!).

And all this right before Animal Crossing releases. Worst timing ever...... :evil:
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:Thanks for the sympathy gents!

I'm going to my home contents insurance folk when I get in as I've got my fingers firmly crossed that I may be able to claim on that and not have to shell out for a new one (I must give the buggers enough money each month for something!).

And all this right before Animal Crossing releases. Worst timing ever...... :evil:
Did you just add me on your 3ds a few days back as "Dr G.King"? I can send a letterbox message over if you want to PM me some contact details. Chances are slim but it could be worth a shot.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Cool new image share thing to use with animal crossing this friday:

Image Share Website
Sinclair Gregstrum

That is a neat little feature!

Thanks very much for the suggestion of sending a message to my 3DS Mike, really appreciate the thought. I'm afraid it looks fairly certain it's been stolen now by some unscrupulous traveller - the train terminated a couple of stops after I got off and apparently they do a thorough sweep then with anything left on board being handed in to the lost property office and it hasn't turned up there, meaning it's been half-inched sadly!

I've got a crime number from the police and am claiming on my insurance, which while still having an excess of £100 will work out much cheaper than replacing the console and games all out of my own pocket!

Won't be making this silly mistake again in a hurry! :oops:
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

NINTENDO DIRECT E3

Pokémon X and Y coming October 12, features a new pokémon type and a Nintendogs-esque pokémon interaction mode.
Super Mario 3D World coming to WiiU in December 2013, features the Mario 2 cast of playable characters. Cat Mario.
Mario Kart 8 for WiiU coming Spring 2014.
Wii Fit U and Wii Party U have been delayed to later in 2013.
Art Academy for WiiU will allow for detailed Miiverse posts, coming to eShop "this Summer".
A sizzle reel of third party WiiU titles and eShop titles. YouTube links later.
New trailer of Wind Waker HD. "Tingle Bottle" lets you post to Miiverse. Game coming in October, 2013.
Wonderful 101 coming before Wind Waker HD.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze coming to WiiU near the end of 2013, play as Donkey, Diddy and Dixie.
Bayonetta 2 coming to WiiU in 2014.
New trailer for Monolith Software's new open world, mech suit game, taking design inspirations from Xenoblade Chronicles, coming to WiiU in 2014.
Smash Bros. trailer, featuring an Animal Crossing villager and Mega Man as new playable characters. Coming to WiiU and 3DS in 2014.
Sinclair Gregstrum

New 3DS has arrived, along with my copy of Animal Crossing! :D

Probably not going to have time to dive in over the weekend (getting married in a few weeks and it's relentless wedding shenanigans at the moment!) but I'll be primed and ready for the Monday morning train!

Don't think I've looked forward to going to work so much in many a year.....
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Get your friend code out there anyway and I'll add you again!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Will do mate - I'll check it out when I get home!