I love it in games when...

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

I love it in games when...

Post by Alex79 »

Ok, so what classic, almost overused gaming tropes do you actually enjoy? I've got two.

I love it in games when you are locked in a room / cell, and have to escape. It's about as pure a puzzle as you can get. It's just you, some stuff lying around the room, and you have to get out. We've seen it in Metal Gear Solid, Monkey Island and Machinarium to name but a few. I just love that you can be absolutely stumped, but the answer has to be staring you in the face. And when you break out, it feels like a real achievement.

Also, I love it in gaming when instead of a boring intro and tutorial mission, you're thrown right in at the deep end. Classically, you'll be on a space station that's just being attacked, or heading straight in to battle with an army. I can't stand forced tutorials, and do enjoy being chucked right in, left to figure out everything by yourself.

So, over to you...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: I love it in games when...

Post by ratsoalbion »

Top thread!

Winter worlds.

Don't mind if it's in a serious action game or a cutesy platformer, even having played through dozens from RoboCod through Secret of Mana, Diddy Kong Racing, Metal Gear Solid, Majora's Mask, Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime to contemporary games like The Last Of Us, a virgin snowy area always gives me, ironically, a warm glow and a little tingle inside.

Far more so than real snow, the appeal of which has, sadly, worn off with age.

In fact 2013 has seen two of the most gorgeous, stunning snowy game areas ever in Ni No Kuni and Pikmin 3.
:) 8-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I can get with that. I really liked The Last Of Us snow levels, and am I right in thinking Assassins Creed III had some pretty nice looking snowscapes too? And let's not forget Oblivion.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I haven't played ACIII but of course Oblivion, and Skyrim even more so I guess. Love that feeling in those games of being out in the elements.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Snow/winter for me too, I've spent many hours in Skyrim wandering around the snowy areas. I also love QTE's where you have to mash the button a ridiculous amount of times under pressure.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Oh and I do love the "Metroid" where you Start off with all your powers and have them stripped away.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If you love button-bashing QTEs you simply have to play Asura's Wrath (if you haven't already)!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

No I haven't, it's a game I had on my lovefilm forever. I'll keep my eye out.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

It sounds obvious, but when a game does something so unique to that moment where I've never seen it before or know it couldn't happen in another game. These are never scripted, but actual results of things happening in-engine. People may have heard myself or Leon talking about "Halo Moments" or "Battlefield Moments", and those are the two great examples of fabulously crafted games.

Those are the moments I'll always fall back on and remember, daft things like rolling over a deflected Plasma grenade in a Warthog only to have it kick up and flip to roll over my co-op partner, or really strange moments where something so utterly bizarre happens that you can't help but laugh, like:

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

When you can buy, collect and upgrade LOTS of weapons and/or sets of armour. Examples:

Resident Evil 4
Dead Space 1 and 2
Dark Souls
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Metal Gear Solid 4
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm a big fan of backtracking a feature sadly not often used that much these days. Dark Souls had this down, making you feel more god-like each and every time you ran through a familiar, already trodden area.

Also, the classic Metroid style backtracking with gear-gating. There's nothing quite like solving that room which stumped you so early on!

edit: I also love it when the game music is in sync with its environment so much that when you take it away, you're genuinely missing it.

Dire Dire Docks is a prime example of this. Almost perfect synergy with its level design.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

DomsBeard wrote:No I haven't, it's a game I had on my lovefilm forever. I'll keep my eye out.
Asura's Wrath is amazing. Absolutely ridiculous, but yeah those QTE's are worth the price of admission alone.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah listening to the Chet & Jon podcasts piqued my interest in Azuras Wrath, I've been meaning to seek it out for ages. I imagine you can get it for pennies now.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I love it when you have to face a clone,rival or just a character that can do all you can but better like Jeane from Bayonetta,many enemies from Dark souls,the Boss in Mgs3,henry in No more heroes the list goes on point is they are all great! Also I love unkillable monsters that pursue you relentlessly like the nemesis and the Dahaka.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah, I still have nightmares about Nemesis from Resi 3. I loved Bioshock Infinite and was hoping songbird would be like that after seeing the trailers but alas!.

Good shout on the dopplegangers, Dark Link from Ocarina and Dark Samus were great.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

instant respawns

skippable cutscenes
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

When I think about it if a title can have a great flow, where everything transitions flawlessly from one moment to the next to build up a natural rhythm, it will always increase my enjoyment exponentially. Rayman does this with some of its levels, it is why I adore rhythm action games and have a tremendous appreciation of Rock Band Blitz. Even combat games where the encounters can turn into a form of rhythmic ballet it really makes a difference to me.

For example in a racing title if the car feels perfect and the course is well designed it feels like a natural flow and gives you the confidence to really push. That is such a hard thing to find in a lot of titles but when it all clicks it can provide such a rush that there is little to beat it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

One thing I like that I suspect most hate is a good 'in medias res' opening. Monkey Island 2 is the most silly and extreme version of it, but even subtler ones like the first God of War are fun.

I also quite like it when you have a playable prologue before the music swells and the games logo appears on screen (I loved the way we did that in Fable: The Journey, but I doubt anyone else has seen it :) )
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You have a bow and arrow
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

This reminds me one thing I love in games and barely see anymore is stage transition's in the middle of a boss fight!Boss phases in general are awesome but when the stage changes along it's just a great feeling I dont know why.