Favourite Games Of 2014 (A Cane and Rinse Poll)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Favourite Games Of 2014 (A Cane And Rinse Poll)

Post by dezm0nd »

I also have compiled a video but for the poll, in no particular order because putting a bunch of completely different games in rank is silly.

a) Super Smash Bros for Wii U
b) Mario Kart 8
c) Dark Souls 2
d) Bayonetta 2
e) Wolfenstein The New Order
f) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
g) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
h) The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
i) South Park: Stick of Truth
j) nidhogg

There's a few more that I enjoyed this year but those stood out as highlights for me!
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

10) Counter Strike: GO
Whenever my usual Dota stack wanted a break from Dota and decided to play another game together CS:GO was the choice

9) Nidhogg
In a year where playing games on a couch made a resurgence for me and my friends there were a few staples and among them was Nidhogg, few things are as fun as running at and away from each other with swords held high

8) Far Cry 4
I enjoyed Far Cry 3 a lot despite it's dick of a protagonist, and 4 is more of the same with less dick and more why is this 20 something guy John Rambo? so i was bound to enjoy it too +

7) Sleeping Dogs
I only got around to playing this this year and it was a really fun open world game that had the opposite feel of a GTA where you were punished(minorly) for killing and destroying property, it also had a really good melee combat system ala the batman games

6) Mount Your Friends
another couch game that rarely fails to cause laughter and big "oooooooooh!" when someone fails to mount in the dying seconds of a match, another staple when friends are around

5) Wolfenstein: New Order
I bought it on a whim of wanting something mindless to do on a weekend and I got more than I bargained for, there is a really good cast of characters that are weary of all this war that they are involved, but it never takes itself so seriously that you question charging into a room with an auto-shotgun under each arm adding your own voice line of "COME AT ME MOTHER FUCKERS"

4) Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
while incredibly short if you just run the through line of the main mission, there is a lot you can do here, it might feel akin to the tanker level/demo of MGS2 but I enjoyed enough to have bought it twice(PS3 and PC) and played through at least the main mission on both

3) Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
the main story might be a bit crap, although I did like the little we got about how the rings of power were forged, the mobility of the character the batman combat and the nemesis system all worked together to make a really great experience that once take a break from more Dota I need to go back into to play the DLC

2) Fibbage XL
Fibbage XL is the staple game if I have friends over, I can't say how long that will last I suppose it comes down to how many questions are in the game but for now it's the game that anyone with a mobile phone can play, and that is probably the thing innovation for same couch multiplayer for me I don't need 8 controllers, I don't need to teach many mechanics to anyone, and everyone has fun be it naming ourselves stupid shit to trying to mind game everyone by using americanisms so they think it's the games answer and it's the right one

1) Dota 2
the game of all years, it's an odd thing to have spent over 2000 hours in a game and still not know every mechanic or interaction and it's also hard to think of a game you spend that much time playing, more time watching and still not get bored of it, hell it's a game I traveled to Frankfurt and Seattle to watch be played at it's highest level. Not to mention that it's very well supported by valve with the least intrusive Free to Play model I can think of and expertly balanced by IceFrog who is never scared to make huge changes(like earlier in the year they changed the map layout). So yeah once again Dota will be my favourite game in the year and here's to a Dota filled 2015

Games I didn't play enough of because Dota, but probably should have been on this list
South Park: Stick of Truth
Banner Saga
Transistor
Jazzpunk
Octodad: The Dadliest Catch
Divinity: Original Sin
Endless Legend
Dark Souls 2
James

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:I also have compiled a video but for the poll, in no particular order because putting a bunch of completely different games in rank is silly.
It certainly is; surprised you're not on board, Darren! ;)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

In no special order

Pokemon omega ruby - cos pokemon formula still works nearly 20 years later

Child of light - super fun RPG with incredible graphics, art style, and music

The last of us - A game where the remaster enhances the game without diminishing the original, its an incredible experience I will replay at least once a year.

The wonderful 101 - wish I hadn't put off playing this for so long, its a incredible game, great art style, deep combat, pretty good story for what it is.

Call of duty advanced warfare - its been easy to get jaded with call of duty the past few years, but this for me is the biggest step forward in the series since call of duty 4.

Mario kart 8 - incredible graphical showcase for the 'underpowered' system, an example of DLC done right, and just a great game all round, and I don't even like racing games as a rule.

Infamous second son - not perfect by a long shot, but the first truly next gen feeling game I've played, oodles of fun, and hopefully it'll be the building block for a much improved sequel.

Bayonetta 2 - incredible action game, incredible style, so much fun, why cant more games be like this?

Hyrule warriors - not quite a zelda game, but loads of fun, super fun action, and I love me some fans service.

Valiant hearts the great war - a surprisingly effective look at the first world war which is so rarely touched in video games, and has lovely graphics as well. Not one to miss.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Here's mine.... I think....

10.Middle Earth : Shadow of Mordor
9. Far Cry 4
8. Super Smash Bros for Wii U
7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
6. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
5. Dragon Age Inquisition
4. Mario Kart 8
3. Dark Souls 2
2. Destiny
1. Shovel Knight

Honourable Mentions, AKA games I own but haven't nearly put enough time into yet :(
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
GTA V PS4
Persona Q
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
My favourite side-scrolling platformer since Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, with level design that just won't quit. It doesn't hurt that it's got the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a video game.

2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
The best Mario Kart yet I'd say, with beautiful visuals, great track designs and a very solid online mode. Shame about the battle mode and the poorly implemented time trials.

3. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
Fantastic open world, great gameplay whether you prefer to go in guns blazing, sniping from afar or sneaking up on the enemy. The map maker is a dream come true for me and it doesn't bother me that it's only for single player maps since I find that more interesting anyway. A reasonably well implemented free roam co-op certainly doesn't hurt either.

4. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)
I really really like Diablo so getting the beefed up version was a no-brainer for me. I think I enjoyed it even more this time around than on the 360 because of the added fifth chapter and the marvellous adventure mode.

5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)
Probably the best Smash Bros. in the series. Yes, it is disappointing that the online isn't more stable or more customisable but it's certainly better than in previous instalments.

6. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
I sometimes feel that games with a retro aesthetic don't really get the 'feel' of old-school games quite right, but this one does. Had this come out in 1990 I think it'd be regarded as a true classic - in fact, it might be one regardless.

7. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
Some of the magic is gone considering I already played this last time around, and I can't say I was blown away by the generational upgrade (I had hoped for a more stable frame rate) but it's still the best version of the best GTA yet, so it belongs on the list.

8. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Loved the gameplay but disliked the aesthetics and the story. I played the first one on Wii U as well but despite its absence of the absurdly irritating Loki I still prefer Bayonetta 2 for its brighter colour palette and slightly more forgiving gameplay.

9. Destiny (PS4)
A really solid shooter that's even better with a group of friends. It probably wouldn't have ended up on the list if I hadn't played with you lot, but I did - so here it is!

10. Geometry Wars 3: Galaxies
It's back and only slightly worse than ever. The only major misstep here was the cube-shaped levels in the campaign, but they were few and far between. And hey, there's always classic mode.

I've yet to play some of the biggest releases this year, such as The Last of Us Remastered, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition and of course all the great Xbox One exclusives - I have a sneaking suspicion that if I'd played any of those the list would've been different. Also, I'm sticking to 2014 releases for this list but if I hadn't, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate would probably have topped the list. An honourable mention, then.
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

1. Shadow of Mordor
2. The Last of Us
3. Alien Isolation
4. Wolfenstein The New Order
5. Transformers Fall of Cybertron
6. Castle Crashers
7. Infamous Second Son
8. Dragon's Dogma
9. Lego Lord of the Rings
10. Road Rash 2
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

These cant be split so even them up:
Wolf among us
Injustice
Last of us remastered
The Evil within
The room 2

My top 5:

5. walking dead season 2
Not as good as season 1 however still the choices and consequences are still just as powerful. Although 400 days took a slating from most I saw it as a stepping stone into this to work out some final kinks.

4. South Park Stick of truth.
Don't think I've ever laughed so much at a video game. Being a big south park fan I was worried a little but after 30 seconds into it I knew it was gonna be good.

3. Metal gear ground zeros.
Only managed to play through but loved it. Keep wanting to get it on PS4 but might wait till Phantom pain comes out as it will probably be included.

2. P.T.
If south park was the funniest game I've ever played this is the by far the scariest. It was the 2nd game I played on my PS4 and I was blown away by the graphics and the general feel of it. When you think it was free it just makes it so much better.

1. Titanfall
After the debacle that was battlefield 4 i was desperate for a good FPS. After a few recommendations i 'double jumped' into titanfall and i loved it. The upgrade system was brilliant. The adjusting load out while the game loads should be a must in all FPS games now. A big step forward and got everything crossed titanfall 2 is on PS4
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ooooh so it's ANY game we played last year!? I'll have a list by the time I get home!
James

Post by James »

Voting closes in 34 minutes. Still time to add or amend your list.
Xavier Desmond

Post by Xavier Desmond »

10. Octodad
9. Monument Valley
8. Pure Pool
7. P.T.
6. Walking Dead: Season 2
5. Wolfenstein: The New Order
4. Last of Us: Remastered
3. Shadow of Mordor
2. Wolf Among Us
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
Ash

Post by Ash »

I might be considered a little biased but these are honestly my favourite games that I've played this year.

1. Mario Kart 8
2. Hyrule Warriors
3. The Last of Us (PS4)
4. Dark Souls II
5. Papers, Please (iPad)
6. Super Smash Bros (3DS)
7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
8. Suikoden
9. P.T.
10. Dangan Ronpa
James

Post by James »

Right folks, the poll has closed!

Thank you all ever so much for submitting your lists. I can't wait to find out what games comprise our top 10.

I'll crank through the data as quickly as I can, but I expect it'll take me most of tomorrow evening. Hopefully the results will be ready late tomorrow night. Thanks for your patience, and again for supporting the poll and these excellent forums. :D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I'm honestly not sure how accurate this is given I haven't or have hardly played FarCry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Assassin's Creed Unity, Shadow of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive or Bayonetta 2 yet and I know chances are all 6 would feature in my top 10...

1) Wolfenstein: The New Order
2) The Last of Us: Remastered
3) Destiny
4) NBA 2K15
5) Halo: Master Chief Collection
6) Forza Horizon 2
7) Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
8) The Swapper (Vita)
9) Titanfall
10) MGS V: Ground Zeroes
James

Post by James »

By the skin of your teeth, Karl, the skin of your teeth. ;)

(Thanks for your list :) )
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Poll is closed, but I'll throw in my top 10 for 2014 anyways. Just for fun.

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2. Octodad: Dadliest Catch
3. Dark Souls II
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
7. Danganronpa
8. Grand Theft Auto V
9. Mario Kart 8
10. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
James

Post by James »

After a week of voting, and 25 submitted lists, including 89 different games, the oldest (I think) being 1992's Road Rash II, the time has come to reveal our Favourite Games Of 2014.

A quick note: re-releases were counted alongside their original versions, but specific DLC was kept separate from the main game. For example, votes for Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition were combined, but those for inFamous: First Light were not added to those for Second Son. This distinction doesn't make a difference to the place of any game in our Top 10, so I'm okay making it. Hopefully you're okay with it too.

Okay, here we go...

10 - Dragon Age: Inquisition (40 points from 5 votes)
The fewest votes in our Top 10, but the highest average (8 points per vote) means that it was high up the lists of the die-hard few who chose it.

9 - Bayonetta 2 (43 points from 7 votes)
Every game from here on out made its way onto at least seven lists.

8 - Wolfenstein: The New Order (44 points from 7 votes)

7 - The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth (44 points from 7 votes)
Equal on points and votes with Wolfenstein, but an extra second place nudges Isaac ahead.

6 - Dark Souls II (46 points from 7 votes)

And now our Top 5...

5 - Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor (46 points from 8 votes)
Making eight lists actually means that Shadow Of Mordor had the lowest average of our Top 10. Is it better to be liked by many or loved by a few?

4 - Titanfall (50 points from 8 votes)
A clear 4th on our list, Titanfall only missed out on a Top 3 place by a single point to...

3 - Destiny (51 points from 7 votes)
One fewer vote, one more point; enough to vault Destiny into 3rd place.

2 - The Last Of Us (70 points from 10 votes)
Between latecomers, newcomers and returnees, the original and Remastered versions of The Last Of Us were streets ahead of everything else (well, nearly everything). It turns out that on the Cane And Rinse Forums we're still partying like it's 2-0-1-3.

Even had the single vote for the Left Behind DLC been included, The Last Of Us would still have been one point and one vote behind our winner. As it is, the result was pretty clear, with our winner having both the most votes and the most points.

A driving game. A kart game. Helped in no small part by the excellent game nights, hosted by our wonderful Nintendo emissary, Darren Gargette, the eighth game in this evergreen, 22 year-old series was also the Cane And Rinse Forum's favourite game of 2014...

1 - Mario Kart 8 (80 points from 12 votes)
Perhaps a celebratory Cane And Rinse game night? :D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I really wish I got the Mario Kart 8 love :(.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Annoyed with myself for forgetting to post my list but good thread!