Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RobC

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by RobC »

I've been on a rhythm action game kick recently so I picked up Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call for the 3DS. I'm midway through migrating onto a new (very special :P ) 3DS though so I'm holding off really getting started till I have a new micro SD.

In the meantime I also grabbed Hitsune Miku Project Diva F on PSN. While I won't go out of my way to listen to J-pop I do live it and think it totally fits a rhythm action game. The only problem is I'm finding it rock hard, not convinced so far that the difficulty curve is there to be honest.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS4.

Same old issues irritating me as they always do on Rockstar games, all control related. I LOVE the setting, the look of the game, the dark humour, the missions are even full of variety this time. But the controls are just fucking terrible. Why? Is it just me? I can play any other third person shooter / combat game and swoop easily in and out of cover, shoot enemies to shit with no trouble. But this feels clunky and jittery, jumping into walls and stairs and other crap in the way, I just can't settle with it at all. My mate tells me to play FPS mode but that feels even worse.

I've played about 4/5 hours and while I've enjoyed the missions I've played and want to play more, I can't see it getting any better. Think this game is going the way of old yeller.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I know what you mean - I could never really play any Rockstar game pre-GTA IV for any length of time because I couldn't get on with the controls, but I reckon IV and especially V made huge improvements.

While it's nowhere near as tight as something like Gears of War, it's pretty good I'd say. The car handing is pretty spot on as far I'm concerned.

I've been playing a bit of Trials Frontier on the iPhone. It works better than I expected. Not quite sure who decided a Trials game would be improved by adding a hub world, tedious - and pointless - XP gathering, multiple currency systems and having to scroll through NPC dialogue though. It's all just noise that distracts from the purity of the gameplay.

The FTP mechanics aren't grating too hard yet, will wait and see how annoying it gets. Not that I'm opposed to paying for this game - I'd just rather pay a one-off fee.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

i picked up Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc in the sale on PSN.
Its an odd game but im really enjoying my time with it. You spend the day walking around school in first person taking to your classmates to get to know them and offering them gifts to unlock skills. Eventually one of them is murdered and you have to investigate the crime scene and determine who did it in a Phoenix Wright style class trial.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

hazeredmist wrote:Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS4.

Same old issues irritating me as they always do on Rockstar games, all control related. I LOVE the setting, the look of the game, the dark humour, the missions are even full of variety this time. But the controls are just fucking terrible. Why? Is it just me? I can play any other third person shooter / combat game and swoop easily in and out of cover, shoot enemies to shit with no trouble. But this feels clunky and jittery, jumping into walls and stairs and other crap in the way, I just can't settle with it at all. My mate tells me to play FPS mode but that feels even worse.

I've played about 4/5 hours and while I've enjoyed the missions I've played and want to play more, I can't see it getting any better. Think this game is going the way of old yeller.
I don't have that problem, but I know what you mean. What's causing that feeling is the way the game does character animations. Everything has a wind-up to it. Every action a character makes is realistic. They have momentum and inertia that have to be accounted for, or rather emulated. Or maybe it actually is simulated, since they have that fancy physics engine in GTA IV and V. Not sure if that's factored in to normal character animations, but whatever. The point is it makes going in to motion and coming out of it a bit laggy, compared to other games that prefer to ditch realism for responsiveness at least.

For example, KissMammal brought up Gears of War. In reality, there's no way those bulky characters could move in and out of cover as fast as they do, but they do because Epic thought it felt better. In GTA, they wanted to go with a more realistic feeling. I find myself able to compensate it rather easily, but I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't be able to get on with it. It's part of the reason I cannot stand the deathmatch modes in that game. I definitely value responsive controls in games which use them.

But talking of older GTA games and their controls, I've never found myself able to get along with the pre-IV games. It's not the same thing as the newer games though. They feel so insanely clunky and limited to me. You die so quickly, yet there's no decent way to find cover or dodge bullets. Aiming is arse, and melee is useless. Cars feel pretty bad in those games too, although they did improve them as time went on. The cars in SA are acceptable. Before that, they're kind of awful.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've started Batman Atkham Origins which I picked up for the PS3 for £9 over Christmas. I've always been a big Bat-Fan but I've really got back in to him big time over the last few weeks, having received some of the New 52 comic books for Christmas and also going back over the Grant Morrison run he did a few years back. Well I'm loving Origins. Everything I have seen about the game pretty much universally says "its good, but not as good as the first two". I'm only up to the Penguin encounter on the boat so far, but I'm enjoying it a whole lot more than Asylum and City (both of which I very much enjoyed). I like the Riddler sub plot and am enjoying taking back the radio towers (a nod to Far Cry?) and the main story I'm also finding more interesting. Yeah, loving it so far.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been playing some pretty unusual stuff lately.

A couple of days ago I was researching the Unity engine, so I was on their website, and on there they have a long list of loads of games that use the engine. A lot of them I had never heard of before, because most of them were mobile stuff. Some looked pretty interesting though. But there was one that stood out to me in particular, that was so interesting I had to buy it instantly. It's a game called Rain Blood Chronicles: Mirage. It's a side-scrolling action game. Kind of like a 2D Devil May Cry. Not only that, but it turns out the game is actually Chinese. I've gotten about halfway through it so far, since it's not a particularly long game, and I'm pretty impressed. There are a few rough edges, like with the English translation, but mostly it's a really fun game with satisfying combat. It has two playable characters that you can switch between at any time too, who both have a pretty different play style. I'd certainly recommend it. I mean, just watch the trailer.

And today I've been playing The Unfinished Swan. A game I was meaning to get around to for ages, but never did. But it was on sale, so I figured now would be a great time. Pretty fun little game. Charming, with an interesting central mechanic that they manage to use in some very different ways. It's not blowing my mind though. It's not on the level of something like Journey or Brothers, but it's still pretty entertaining. I like the whole storybook tone to it, and the visual style. Actually, I find it rather odd that more games don't go for a style like this, with it being mostly stark white with clean shadows. Seems like something developers would have cottoned on to ages ago by messing around with untextured models.

And lastly, I've been having a go at Overlord. I had this game years ago when it first came out on 360, but Humble Store had it on sale for peanuts, and I've been thinking about jumping back in again recently. I never finished it initially because I just hit a massive roadblock. I came to a point where it was just too hard. All my minions died, and without them, there was no way to farm more minions, because you have to defeat enemies to get them. But anyway, this time I'm finding it pretty fun again. It's goofy, and quite clunky, which I think fits the mood somehow. It's funny seeing how it lampoons various fantasy tropes, in a kind of Saturday morning cartoon way. I hope I just don't hit that roadblock again. It was pretty far in to the game. Also, I remember the online multiplayer mode in the game being rather interesting. I hear it's been dead for years now, but I wonder what it would be like going back to it now.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I've been enjoying Trials: Frontier but I'm getting a bit fed up of it now.

For me there's just too much emphasis on racing - either against NPC opponents or the ghosts of live players - and essentially the only way to win a given race is to not wipe out even once, which as you can imagine in a Trials game (with touchscreen controls no less) gets phone-smashingly frustrating very quickly.

Much preferred the old style Trials where simply reaching the end of a hazardous track was the goal.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I started AC unity tonight on PS4. I ended up turning it off after an hour as something isn't right with it. It's like the top layer of rendering is missing from characters and they come across as really blurry. I'm hoping the 6.5gb patch will do something to address it. The intro was already better than AC 3 and black flag
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The more I play of Arkham Origins, the more I'm convinced it's the best Batman game so far. It just seems so much more interesting. I prefer the setting of Gotham to Arkham City, and the side missions have a lot more depth to them to I reckon.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

I'm currently reaching dangerous levels of addiction playing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on the Vita which is a perfect fit for it. Like Hotline: Miami you just play one more round, again and again and again...
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Words cannot express how happy I am to have easy access again to Grim Fandango. It's just as well designed, scored, written and obtuse as it ever was. A genuine gaming original.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah glad it's good. Looking forward to picking that up when I'm paid.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

So, I got bored of waiting for Infamous First Light to download and started playing Isaac on the PS4. Two Satan kills! Pretty happy with that. Might go for Golden God on this version...! Might not.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

GTA 5.

(cheers Scrustle & KissMammal for responses)

I'm persisting in between Destiny sessions, getting past the annoying mission I was stuck on (Trevor's first one) and getting to grips with the jittery controls a bit more. They're still annoying but it's getting more manageable. Not sure how far I'll get through the game but now it's opening up more just the prospect of arsing around and online stuff down the line will probably make me keep the game.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I'm done with Alien Isolation, for now at least. I've reached a point where Alan finds me in almost every hiding place straight away and i just dont have the time to be playing the same section over and over and over again.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Been playing Silent Hill 4 and so far the gameplay is alot better then I remembered also it's interesting to play this after PT shock the world and see how much this game might have been a direct influence on it,speaking of which man Lone survivor really rips-off this game and for it's fine since the game is good but playing this now opened my eyes to how far the similarities go.

I also started a little indie rpg that came out last year titled Always Sometimes Monsters which seems to be an rpg about paying your rent and talking to people and making lots of choices that affect the story,didnt really found the writing or story all that gripping yet and Im kinda of lost trying to figure out what to do, it's still too early to tell if the game is gonna be good but I do find the concept neat so I hope it delivers.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

So since the Metroid Trilogy was released on Wii U today I finally got a chance to play it after all these years. So far I'm really liking it. I like the sense of exploration, and the aiming and combat mechanics are pretty great too. Perhaps better than I was expecting it to be as well. At the moment I've got the the point where I've unlocked the missiles and the Morph Ball.

I do kind of wish it was in HD though. It doesn't look bad at all, but it is very obviously an untouched thirteen year old game. I was considering playing this on Dolphin, even though I was going to buy it either way, but I don't think I will now. It looks pretty good as it is, and so far my experience with emulation seems to be not too successful. It would be a pain to get it set up when I can just stick the game on instantly on the Wii U. Also, another reason I was considering emulation was the controls. I thought maybe mapping it to a standard controller might be better. But turns out the motion controls are quite good anyway, so that's not a problem.

As I finished the first Lords of Shadow, I'm on to LoS2 now. I was planning on giving it a bit of a break before moving on to the sequel, but I couldn't help myself. I won't go on about it too much, since we've all had that conversation already, but I have to say that the PC version is so much better than the console version. Everything looks sharper and more detailed. In the original, there were a few rough edges, which I think arguably made the game look slightly worse than the original, if only because you can get a closer look at everything this time round. But with the PC texture pack and all the other extra doodads, the game looks pretty flawless. The improved frame rate is fantastic too. Definitely makes more difference in this game than the previous one.

Also, I almost forgot how great that opening sequence is. It's one of the high points of the game for sure. I would have thought I would be bored of it now too, considering how many times I've gone through it now, but it was still a blast. I also kind of forgot how they do that massive exposition dump right at the start of the game. It recaps Mirror of Fate, but in a way that rambles on about stuff irrelevant to LoS2, while also neglecting stuff that should be explained. Weird.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Can you play Metroid without the nunchuck and Wii remote?
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

With a few days of train travel ahead of me for work meetings I decided it was time to finally give Tearaway a go, as the game came bundled with my Vita but had been trumped by the likes of Uncharted and Gravity Rush in the order of play since purchase.

What a lovely game! Beautifully intricate aesthetic, great music and SFX, and the best use of the Vita's hardware features I've seen thus far.

It has it's problems - I wish I could run a bit faster and jump a bit higher, the camera can be troublesome at times, and what little combat there is is pretty basic and uninteresting - but overall it's been an enchanting experience so far.

I've been deliberately avoiding the C&R episode covering the game until I've played it through, so will be interested to hear what the guys thought of it once when I'm done! So far it's rapidly becoming one of my favourite games on the Vita!