Alien: Isolation

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Baron Phil

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by Baron Phil »

I've just hit the same point and im really looking forward to getting back to it to see how the flamethrower changes things.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just make sure you keep looking for fuel ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Yeah, that section was really cool:
Spoiler: show
Great atmosphere to it, really enhanced with the space suit too.
The flamethrower definitely changed things up without the game having to turn into a shooter. Was always hoping not to have to use it, but as a last resort...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Are you guys playing on Hard? I did and you run out quick sharp. I had a great 15 minutes where I felt untouchable then you're back to being in fear again :)
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Nope. I have very little patience in stealth games so i went one down from what it recommended. Definitely not easy but i haven't been too frustrated yet, although i did rage quit once.
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

Just finished this. I loved it, but the game fucking ended on a QTE!! What the fuck. There must have been another way to get Amanda floating space other that a twatty sequence of button prompts which when completed, still resulted in 'death'. Other that that though, I genuinely enjoyed the experience. It captured the atmosphere of the movie superbly.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

PapaBlingo wrote:
Just finished this. I loved it, but the game fucking ended on a QTE!! What the fuck. There must have been another way to get Amanda floating space other that a twatty sequence of button prompts which when completed, still resulted in 'death'. Other that that though, I genuinely enjoyed the experience. It captured the atmosphere of the movie superbly.
I know! That was a very disappointing finish. I was slightly baffled by it really, but was just quite pleased it did actually end at that point. I really liked the game, but definitely needed a few hours trimmed, and it kept feeling like it was...about to end...then...
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

magicjoef wrote:
PapaBlingo wrote:
I know! That was a very disappointing finish. I was slightly baffled by it really, but was just quite pleased it did actually end at that point. I really liked the game, but definitely needed a few hours trimmed, and it kept feeling like it was...about to end...then...
I would have liked them to cut all of the middle bit without the Alien. The working Joe's, particularly the suited ones later on were irritating
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

PapaBlingo wrote:
magicjoef wrote:
PapaBlingo wrote:
I would have liked them to cut all of the middle bit without the Alien. The working Joe's, particularly the suited ones later on were irritating
Yeah, that would certainly have been better compressed down. I didn't mind a change of focus, but it was ages!
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Right finished it. Loved it!!! Took me a while to get into it once I died a few times in row. Felt that you had to be in the right mood to play it.

Also for people starting out or yet to play I would definitely suggest playing it on hard if you want the best experience. I played on normal and found plenty of ammo and parts and sometimes Alan was easy to avoid.
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

Alan?! His name was Ian!!!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I'm back on the Alien train after a bit of a brake. And I'm sucked right back in. Something thats could be seen as a bit spoilerly that I have noced and loved.
As far as I can remember this is the first time in the franchise that has survivors actively attacking and mistrusting each other, mush like the film The Thing. It really does add to the experience. Saying that imagine Creative Assembly making a game based on that film, though I would not think they would want to do another franchise so simuler to Alien.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've just started playing this, and I need some help! I've not got a great history with stealth games. Its not that I hate them, more that I find the hiding and sneaking so tense, and the feeling of panic that comes over me when I'm almost caught is so intense that I couldn't really describe that feeling as enjoyment! But, I love Alien so I was interested to play it.

I am, however, failing at pretty much the first hurdle. I'm only an hour or two in to the game (very mild spoilers ahead) and I've just seen the alien for the first time, sort of. When he dragged Axl through the wall vent. I rode the transit to the next location Where after a brief walk you enter a large room with a woman at the far end messing with a door. No matter how you approach it this woman spots you and raises the alarm so I think this must be scripted. I run to the door she was at and pick up an item, and this is as far as I can get. I've tried several things. Sometimes I stay in the room sneaking about looking for the next item I need to get the lift working, although I'm vastly outnumbered and without any kind of radar in the UI it is next to impossible to last more than a couple of minutes before being shot in the face. Sometimes I leg it back down to where I came in and hide for a bit, but inevitably end up going back in the big room and die. Last night I noticed for the first time two junction boxesI in the room where you start the area and can fiddle about with electrics etc but it didn't seem to do anything.

I think what I'm asking is - any tips on surviving? I'm just dying in seconds every time really.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

After you got that tool If you head up stairs you should find a gun that might give you a chance if you get into a bit of trobble. Also there are small boxs on the wall that are easy to miss that let you rewire systems witch can be used as destrations or reduce visability. Hope this helps a little bit. Stick with it once you get parst the opening larning carve you will on your golden!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I know where you are and that bit is bloody awful. I hid and smacked them all with the wrench. It did take me 10-15 attempts though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I realised last night that the humans don't actually come looking for you until you approach the lift door and pick up the security tool, so I left it and had a good explore round. I found some back exit to the room and went up a flight of stairs. I ended up in the tech support labs or something and triggered a security alarm. I managed to disable it eventually and then it happened. It appeared. I shit my pants. Oh my god. I was holding my breath thinking please don't see me! I ran away and hid in a cupboard for literally ten minutes real life time too scared to come out. This game is going to kill me...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ha ha, welcome to Alien Isolation ;) play with headphones if you can
RobC

Post by RobC »

Finally getting round to playing this properly, I wasn't really getting into it at first, but really got sucked in when I started playing with headphones. I think the audio is a big part of the design so that is sound advice :)
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Got this on a steam sale months ago. Still to scared to install it though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Get stuck in. It was my game of the year. You need to play it on hard though.