DOTA 2 - Looking for a buddy to guide me

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
arry_g

DOTA 2 - Looking for a buddy to guide me

Post by arry_g »

Hey folks, I know there aren't many DOTA 2 players on here but I suspect that there may be at least a couple. I am looking for someone to spend a couple of evenings with me to show me the ropes.

As someone who has issues with stress and anxiety, I want to try playing this game, firstly with someone who can show me how to play without ruining other people's games and then alone with me eventually writing a piece or two on the website about the experience.

Any volunteers?
DarthCuddles

Re: DOTA 2 - Looking for a buddy to guide me

Post by DarthCuddles »

I might be able to help you out if you hit me up on steam(http://steamcommunity.com/id/darthcuddles), I'm around most evenings. How much have you played/watched if any?
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

DarthCuddles wrote:I might be able to help you out if you hit me up on steam(http://steamcommunity.com/id/darthcuddles), I'm around most evenings. How much have you played/watched if any?
I once did the tutorial thing but have since uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I have barely watched any games? Would you recommend doing so? Does the game have an ever-changing meta like StarCraft for example?
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

Yeah the meta game changes a lot especially at the moment since a big balance update just landed and added a load of new items on top of tweaking the balance of the game.

I think a good place to start might be giving Purge's welcome to dota you suck guide (https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/)

He also started a series where he casts a game going over everything for someone very new to the game (https://youtu.be/4XdR3UObna8) unfortunately there is only one video in the series but it's a quite good starting point.

I can post more guides and videos later on if you'd like and if you want we could jump in and I could coach you a bit in some bot matches sometime
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

DarthCuddles wrote:Yeah the meta game changes a lot especially at the moment since a big balance update just landed and added a load of new items on top of tweaking the balance of the game.

I think a good place to start might be giving Purge's welcome to dota you suck guide (https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/)

He also started a series where he casts a game going over everything for someone very new to the game (https://youtu.be/4XdR3UObna8) unfortunately there is only one video in the series but it's a quite good starting point.

I can post more guides and videos later on if you'd like and if you want we could jump in and I could coach you a bit in some bot matches sometime
Thank you Mr. Cuddles! Very helpful and much appreciated. There is a lot to take in at first, it reminds me when I first learned to play StarCraft... very overwhelming. I might take you up on that coaching offer one evening. Reading up, I really like the play style of Clockwerk - is it unrealistic to start with this guy?
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

Not unrealistic, clock is a great hero and still a top competitive pick, he can be a bit challenging due to his ultimate ability being a skillshot that hurls him bodily at whatever it hits, and power cogs can hinder as much as help in a hectic fight, but even the best clock players fuck that up from time to time. Plus he is seriously fun so if you want to start with him be my guest
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Thanks again. Is it best to focus on a couple of heroes to begin with or to just focus my attention on one?
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

I started on one and it gave me a decent grasp of how items worked after a period, but it's completely up to you. I didn't have anyone to coach me so it took me a longer time than I'd like to admit to realise that some items had active abilities on top of giving stats and things like that
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

DarthCuddles wrote:I started on one and it gave me a decent grasp of how items worked after a period, but it's completely up to you. I didn't have anyone to coach me so it took me a longer time than I'd like to admit to realise that some items had active abilities on top of giving stats and things like that
To begin with, is it best to just buy the recommended items each game?
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

yeah you won't go super wrong with the recommended items, then once you get more familiar with the game you can start figuring what items fits best in your situation
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

DarthCuddles wrote:yeah you won't go super wrong with the recommended items, then once you get more familiar with the game you can start figuring what items fits best in your situation
Thank you. Your advice continues to be appreciated. Sadly I wont get the chance to play tonight as I agreed to help a friend with GTA Online. I am hoping to play a bit after my wife goes to bed tomorrow night though, still safe little bot games I think until I feel I've got Clock's moveset down.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

I won't be about tomorrow, but I will most likely be about all day Sunday nursing a hangover and playing Dota if you are about give me a shout