E3 2015 - Conference times, news and hype (!)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: E3 2015 - Conference times, news and hype (!)

Post by chase210 »

Sonys wasn't a bad show at all, far from it, but it felt a bit... style over substance? I mean TLG, FF7, and Shenmue, great. But how many of them will we see within say, a year, or two years even? Only TLG I imagine. Horizon and Uncharted looked spectacular though, which is exciting.

And Shenmue has already smashed its 2m kickstarter goal.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Started watching the Sony conference. That Horizon game looks awesome!!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Ubisoft's show was pretty bad. Lots of extremely dull games with men in suits talking about how innovative and risk-taking they are. The only good thing was For Honor near the start of the show. That looks pretty fun.

The Sony show was good, but not brilliant. The highlight was actually Horizon. That looks amazing, and I certainly want to learn more about it. I honestly didn't care that much about The Last Guardian. I guess it's been too long for me to get invested any more. Plus I still don't really believe it'll be out until it's out. Hopefully my mind gets changed. It's cool that they showed Shenmue and FF7. Never thought those would ever actually get made. Not interested myself, but it's cool for those who are.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Nintendo then, probably not nice to follow Sony but Star Fox Zero (which I'll admit didn't seem to have any Platinum games traces in its showing) and a full range of imports alongside that Fire Emblem duo didn't look too bad. Really wish Animal Crossing and Metroid had been the "real" deals but I'm satisfied and another attempt at Zelda multiplayer was surprising.

Anything surplus to a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X was a bonus in all reality.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

HOLY SHIT!!!

PLATINUM ARE MAKING A NEW NIER GAME!!!!

Totally did not expect that.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Oh Nintendo, I thought you'd give the Wii U a good send off! Pretty clear that development of new games has been halted on the system and last years crop are being dragged out over the next 6 months. Still excited about Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame and Fast Neo Racing (with a passing interest in Starfox, Yoshis Yarn, Mario Maker and Devils Third) but they're hanging the machine out to dry. If they were going to support it into 2016 as they purport, they'd have thrown a token tease in there surely?

The low budget show, lack of a Retro Studios game and lack of releases post Christmas points to this being its last few months on sale.

Great little machine with still a load of exclusives for anyone who doesn't have one, but it looks like its taking a hit for the sake of the NX.

Don't reckon the 3DS will be far behind either...
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Nintendo then, probably not nice to follow Sony but Star Fox Zero (which I'll admit didn't seem to have any Platinum games traces in its showing) and a full range of imports alongside that Fire Emblem duo didn't look too bad. Really wish Animal Crossing and Metroid had been the "real" deals but I'm satisfied and another attempt at Zelda multiplayer was surprising.

Anything surplus to a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X was a bonus in all reality.
Thought the Paper Mario crossover 3DS could be good? Nothing much else was new news really or noteworthy...
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I can't get along with the Paper Mario series for some reason but the series from what I know only has the odd below stellar entry.

It's sad and I've no option but to agree on everything else. Any machine that had Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3d World and still didn't manage to be a hit demonstrates something that's gone wrong in this hobby but I can't doubt that the machine still means a lot to me.

In the absolute worst case scenario I'd love to see them to fill the virtual console shelf up before this premature ending. Once again, to add some optimism into the mix there are some games yet to come that I have no doubt over their quality and although not filling the hole they'll cover it over in cement quite nicely.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It was a little under whelming, yeah but Nintendo will trickle out news stories all year round with those directs. Still, not showing Zelda Wii U is a weird one.

Starfox looks good but i'm worried it'll be another Assault type game of which I wasn't keen on.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

So E3 summed up for console owners: If you own a Wii U, enjoy its final days. If you own an Xbox, you'll have some fun things to play this year. If you have a PS4, 2016 and beyond looks nifty.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah, I have to say Nintendo's show was a bit underwhelming. Nothing really interested me at all, aside from maybe Starfox. That could be cool but I'm not sure on the control scheme and the two screens thing. The best part of their stream was probably the puppets.

I am starting to think that people's speculation about Zelda and maybe some other big Wii U games getting pushed back to the NX may be true. I don't know if I like the sound of that. While I have gotten good use out of my Wii U, and I certainly don't regret getting it, I basically bought it because I knew there was going to be a new proper Zelda on it. Looks like that might not be the case any more. That would be a real kick in the teeth. Or it might end up being a situation like Twilight Princess, where it comes out on both generations around the release of a new machine. That would be a bit annoying too. I wouldn't want to have to choose between what could very well be an inferior version of the game, or having to buy an entire new console for one game that I could technically already play.

The Square Enix show was pretty dull too actually. It's not that they didn't have games, they just didn't present them well at all. Most of the speakers were terrible. The only saving grace was that Nier announcement. Actually, that announcement might even be my favourite one of the show so far.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

dezm0nd wrote:It was a little under whelming, yeah but Nintendo will trickle out news stories all year round with those directs. Still, not showing Zelda Wii U is a weird one.

Starfox looks good but i'm worried it'll be another Assault type game of which I wasn't keen on.
They will. And Splatoon looked loads better a year on. Miyamoto said in the Treehouse feed that Zelda is still 100% coming and Project Guard is also being turned into a proper game by Platinum, but that just suggests to me that Zelda is going the way of Twilight Princess on the GC / Wii. Like you say though, let's see! Knowing Nintendo, they'll decide to unveil a new 3D Mario game next Tuesday...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I didn't see the Nintendo show - did they actually announce a new console?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

They mentioned the NX, but said they won't be talking about it till 2016.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It can't just be me that saw the FF7 remake trailer and just got a sinking feeling that they've stripped away absolutely everything charming about the original in favour of bland 'realistic' graphics...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah I get what you mean. I don't have any attachment to the original, but I got a distinct feeling about half way through the trailer that I was watching a teaser trailer for some generic Western developed game. Only seeing Cloud at the end made it look like Final Fantasy.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If they match the art style of Crisis Core and Advent Children it'll be fine. That was still very recognisably FF7 despite being more 'real'.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

There's not much worse for a console than talking about it's successor well in advance. Dangerous game, and Splatoon seemed to be clawing back a lot of interest in the Wii U.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Joypod E3 special episode out today!

:D
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

is anyone else slightly disappointed that Square Enix didn't show off Bravely Second, I was convinced it would get a showing and maybe even a western release date but not even a sniff :(