Star Wars: Battlefront

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Very true - fingers crossed they manage to achieve what they failed to do on Battlefield 4 and Hardline!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Even so, BF4 was & still is a beautiful looking multiplayer game. It doesnt really bother me if its 1080p, 900p or 720p, i dont have time to stop and count the pixels on a rock or a plant when there is an attack chopper after me or im in a hectic gun battle with an opposition squad :P
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

Played a few games of this and really enjoyed it, despite some issues. It was starnge at first not reloading, but got used to it. However today's annoucement about the $50 season pass, which contains 3 extra modes, has got me thinking whether to get it or not.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

I know this is going to sound weird but as somebody who has never played an online FPS and has only seen up to the Phantom Menace I really want to play this. I was kind of obsessed with the first films when I was younger and this game, wow, it just looks somebody has plonked you into the middle of the films.

Can anybody describe to me what different game modes there are in this? Is it only online multiplayer or is there a single player campaign? Is the co-op the kind I get away with being terrible at?

dezm0nd, you are normally my oracle of game recommendations, am I going to like this do you think?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

There's a bunch of different modes available in the game but the recent beta only had two available Drop Zone and Walker Assault of which, I only found that Walker Assault held my attention but that had more to do with the chosen maps than anything else. The game is essentially multiplayer focused with no single player campaign to speak of but with the ability to have AI companions if you're playing offline.

Personally (and despite being a massive Star Wars nerd) I've decided to hold off with this title for a while since, as is the norm with EA these days, they've also got a £40 season pass available day one too. I want to be absolutely sure the game is worth it before purchasing. Besides, these days I'm more than happy to wait a while and pick it up when it's cheap, not to mention to be sure people are still playing it and it not just another flash-in-the-pan type affair.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

thanks Jay, on reflection I think I'll resist the day one release pressure that's mounting up inside of me and wait until the price and expectations have dropped a little. Tell you what though, it's a really nice looking game.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

brutaldeluxe09 wrote: dezm0nd, you are normally my oracle of game recommendations, am I going to like this do you think?
Not as a full time investment. You'd enjoy it if you came down here for a short while and blast people up but I don't see you getting the most out of it.
Thesnipergecko

Post by Thesnipergecko »

I've been playing this on Xbox One on EA's Early Access thing they have.

I was amazed at how well it ran and how nice it looks on xbox considering its only 720p. I will be buying it on PC this week though.

Add me on Origin if you fancy a game.

Origin: Thesnipergecko
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

The lack of content & EAs insistence on that season pass bollox has really put me off SWB. I game share with a mate too, so the game would technically only cost me €30, but on principal alone i am not purchasing. Its kind of disgusting how little is actually in the bog standard version, 11 weapons, if you enjoy the main mode Walker Assault there are only 4 maps on rotation. No single player campaign is another factor. I know DICE have had a bad track record on these, but this is possibly the worst time to ditch a single player campaign. The mind boggles at the story that could have been told in this amazing Star Wars universe, but they chose not to.
Admittedly, there is a free map to download at launch, so thats 5 now then, wow, dont spoil us. The bulk is obviously been held back for the season pass, try & keep people interested in a fantastic world with shallow, simplistic gunplay for an fps.
I was, like everyone else, super excited by a Star Wars game made by DICE, but this excitment has been shot in the head by corporate money grabbing assholes. "Hey, guys, we got a kick ass Star Wars licence, Star Wars fans are everywhere, they'll buy fucking anything with a Star Wars brand on it. Lets strip this game down to its bare bones, charge $80 for it, then dole out small bits for a year and stick another $60 price tag on that."
I think i'll wait till it hits the second hand shelves in droves in the new year, thats when i'll pick it up. Unless someone buys it for me, then forget all of what i just said. Haha.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Indiana747 wrote:The lack of content & EAs insistence on that season pass bollox has really put me off SWB. I game share with a mate too, so the game would technically only cost me €30, but on principal alone i am not purchasing. Its kind of disgusting how little is actually in the bog standard version, 11 weapons, if you enjoy the main mode Walker Assault there are only 4 maps on rotation. No single player campaign is another factor. I know DICE have had a bad track record on these, but this is possibly the worst time to ditch a single player campaign. The mind boggles at the story that could have been told in this amazing Star Wars universe, but they chose not to.
Admittedly, there is a free map to download at launch, so thats 5 now then, wow, dont spoil us. The bulk is obviously been held back for the season pass, try & keep people interested in a fantastic world with shallow, simplistic gunplay for an fps.
I was, like everyone else, super excited by a Star Wars game made by DICE, but this excitment has been shot in the head by corporate money grabbing assholes. "Hey, guys, we got a kick ass Star Wars licence, Star Wars fans are everywhere, they'll buy fucking anything with a Star Wars brand on it. Lets strip this game down to its bare bones, charge $80 for it, then dole out small bits for a year and stick another $60 price tag on that."
I think i'll wait till it hits the second hand shelves in droves in the new year, thats when i'll pick it up. Unless someone buys it for me, then forget all of what i just said. Haha.
Totally agree with what you say Don. I won't be picking it up at launch either which I would have never imagined doing when I first saw it. I'll probably get it from CEX in a few weeks if by some miracle I fancy a break from Fallout 4. I've dipped my toes back into Battlefield 4 and with the free maps still coming this is by far the better option currently.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I think I'm more and excited about this and will pick this up 100%

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -this-week
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That game features some spectacularly unfriendly design and knuckle-chewingly irritating sections as I recall.

Obviously I'll be (re-)adding it to my collection though.
:)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:That game features some spectacularly unfriendly design and knuckle-chewingly irritating sections as I recall.

Obviously I'll be (re-)adding it to my collection though.
:)
I hope it's not too Jar-Jarring to go back to.

I'm here all week :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You're banned all week more like.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:You're banned all week more like.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Didn't see Super Star Wars on the Playstation Store earlier. Is it US only?

I spent hours on the Battlefront beta and will pick it up sooner or later. I'll see if Sainsburys or Tesco are doing a £35 or so deal day one (or two depending on how my fridge is holding out), otherwise I'm happy to hang on too. I'm still playing unexpanded Destiny, so if I get half the hours out of this base game - which the beta suggested I might - then it will be decent value. I do want to make sure it works first though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Super Star Wars is out on US PSN this week I believe - seems we may have to wait a little longer in the EU.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Seems so. PSN business as usual.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Right, who's picked this up then?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Even the most positive reviews pointed to what sounds like an extremely short-lived experience, so (regretfully) no.