Steam Controller

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
brutaldeluxe09

Steam Controller

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

does anybody have hold of the Steam Controller as of yet? I have one ordered and am looking forward to trying it out but I've not heard much about how it plays. Anyone have experience with the final version that is being shipped?
dezm0nd

Re: Steam Controller

Post by dezm0nd »

Hopefully you'll have it by the time I come up. Very interested in getting my hands on it.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

awww yeah, hope so, we can fondle it all night long! : )
Sean

Post by Sean »

Very curious about this controller. Kinda want the Elite XB1 controller more, though.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

that Elite XB1 looks really nice, I've not yet played on XBox One but that 360 controller is still my favourite of them all so I'm sure it's going to be good. If you end up getting one let us know what's like!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Xbox One controller is really odd at first but I think I enjoy it the most out of all three controllers this generation.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The elite controller for xbo is apparently very good, but at that price it damn well better be.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

ouch, I've just looked up price of the Elite XBO as I wasn't aware of how much it was going for, looks like I won't be getting one of those in a hurry then.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, I'm kinda putting it on my xmas wishlist. ;)
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

right, so I've had my Steam Controller for a couple of weeks now and I like it, it's not perfect but it compliments my steam library quite nicely as I'm on OSX I play a lot of puzzle, strategy, simulation, adventure game stuff it works really well and is really simple to setup. I don't really use Stem for AAA stuff though, prefer my PS4 for that kind of thing to be honest.

I'm half way through Half Life and it's working out well too, it's obviously no mouse and keyboard but I'm now sat on the sofa sharing the pad with friends which is cool. The only negative experience I've had so far is with Hotline Miami, couldn't get my head around it at all but that could have just been as I did;t have it set up correctly.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hmm, are there community mods for Hotline Miami? The pad controls are perfect on Vita, IMO.
macstat

Post by macstat »

I'm probably going to buy Steam controller at some point in the future, but i dont expect it to fully replace my trusty XB360 for windows controller. Im actually considering buying XBONE controller for windows first since it just got a wireless option. Im just not sure steam controller is anything more than an insteresting gimmick, a proof of concept rather than fleshed out product.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The Steam controller is interesting. I'm not expecting it to start a new standard in controller design, but it's cool to see someone go wild experimenting with the idea. And to do it properly too. Putting some actual effort in to it, rather than just making a half-baked gimmick.

I'm particularly interested in how the thing works for racing games. I've seen people use the gyro controls, like a Wiimote or something, but I'm more interested in seeing how the track pad can work for racing games, if that's even possible. I imagine you could get way more fine precision by moving your thumb across that track pad rather than flicking a controller stick. Might be easier to hold a slight angle, and gradually increase or decrease steering lock. It could provide control something more like a wheel.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Couple weeks ago, as a "get well" gift i got a Steam Controller from my friends ;) Because when you're recuperating, more incentives to play games is what you need :P

Overall Build quality: Its good, but sometimes doesn't feel like it. It feels lighter than Xbone (both wireless with batteries), but also feels more hollow. Xbone in comparison feels like a brick, solid inside, but in a good way that gives you sense of durability. SC feels a little bit like those plastic mobile phones, just a tad too light. Also in front you have a bit of glossy plastic ... why ?

Joystick: Its placed on the bottom, similar to playstation controller. I personally prefer Xbox upper-left style but its not an issue. Build quality is good, stick is covered with rubber. My only gripe is it should be concave and not domed. While i haven't had any problems with thumb slipping of it, it would feel more secure and comfortable.

Face buttons: They are set up same way as in xbox (so abxy), but they are positioned where usually right stick is. It was a problem for a while, i kept pressing Y instead X, especially after moving my thumb from touch pad. After week or two i got more used to new setup and its less of an now.

Triggers: Those are pretty amazing. They are little shallower than in Xbone and have a little less distance to travel. They also have two modes. When you push it just before click, and after click. Both of those can be configured separately which is pretty amazing.

Bumpers: Those are worse in my opinion. In Xbone transition between triggers and bumpers is pretty smooth, so if you can use only your index finger for pressing them. Bumpers in SC are a little higher than triggers, so you have to raise your finger, move him over bumper and press. Also pressing is a little harder than on xbox. I tried holding it with index finger on bumpers and middle fingers on triggers and it feels like it was designed precisely for that style of holding (something i need to get used to i guess :P).

Trackpads: This is probably something everyone is most interested in. Long story short, they are amazing. But this isnt apparent first time you pick it up. Trackpads just by touch are nothing to write home about. Its strength is in two features. Haptic feedback and customizability. Im gonna write more about this later. Oh and they are also clickable which is always nice addition, though i sometimes wonder if it couldnt be a little shallower cause ou need to apply some force to do it, and it sometimes feel out of sync with other buttons.

Grips: Those are two buttons on the back of controller. They are actually part of removable cover so what you use is basically a chunk of plastic that sticks out a little bit. But its actually very comfortable to use and its its big so you don't have to look for it.

Other physical thingies: well other than that its fairly standard. One steam button (same as xbox button), two buttons for back, menu or whatever it is and a microUSB port on top. No jack for headphones, though i never used one so that wasn't something i care about.

Haptic feedback: It's a little bit hard to explain but ill try (and i give some examples in youtube). Trackpads give you feedback with vibration that give you a sounds and a sense of ... texture. Its not a vibration like in normal controllers, that make your gamepad jump around, but its more like scratching and moving your finger on rough surface. Its subtle yet with addition of rumbling sound assures you that you're doing something. When you add customizability of dead zone you will instantly know when you're out of it by lack of its feedback. But wait! There's more ! Did i mentioned that stick also has a little bit of feedback ? When you change direction (every 45 degrees) you get a slight vibration telling you that you did. It can be useful for people who wants to use stick as a d-pad.

A little demo of sounds it makes

also some ingenious guy came up with a method of using vibrations to play music ;)

Customizability: This is something that got a lot better in last 6 months which kinda shows that SC was a great hardware with lackluster software. Its still work in progress but its much better now. Here are few examples:
  • Each section is configured to mimic certain type of input, like directional pad, button pad, couple of mouse or joystick modes, scroll wheel etc.
  • you can set up dead zone for touch controls, for example i kept touching side of touch pad when pressing back buttons, so i added dead zone to borders of it so i would accidentally press it
  • You can assign touch pad to create ingame touch menu. Its great for adding things like inventory, character screen and stuff other things like that in RPGs (example below)
  • You can customize "soft pull" point, a point of first click of trigger
  • You can create a mouse region for trackpad, which basically means using it will always use certain part of screen (like using one of trackpads only for minimap)
  • You can use built-in gyro for precision aiming. Its actually pretty useful, example in video below
  • You can use buttons as modifiers, for example grip on back serves as modifier for face buttons giving you additional 4 functions
Touch menu in Fallout 4

Gyro aiming in MGS V

and so on ...downside of this is complexity. There are a lot of options, half of them are a mystery for average users and SC often doesnt work well with some games without tweaking. Fortunately community has been very productive and a lot of games have a bunch of really cool configs to download. Its UI and system of submission system can be improved, but its getting better each day.
One more thing. For now SC can only be customized in steam big picture, so that means it will probably not work properly outside steam (i haven't managed to set it up in my GoG Witcher 3).

If someone would ask me "are you satisfied with your SC" ? In 5 point Likert scale i would give "very satisfied". That doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. Controller has its problems (though mostly in software which is getting better) and it "solves issue" most people don't have (simulating mouse on couch), while introducing adjustment problems.

Thanks for reading. I hope i haven't bored you to death ;)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wow that's probably the more in depth thing I saw related to the Steam controller,I friend of mine bought but he didnt really like it to the point he'd prefer to play DS3 with mouse an keyboard rather then use it but it seems that's not a consensus.