Double Dragon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sean

Double Dragon

Post by Sean »

Not sure how many Double Dragon fans we might have on this board, but, HAMSTER is releasing an Arcade Archives version of Double Dragon II: The Revenge today. Not sure if it's US only or not, but, $7.99 is a steal for such a classic game. Wonder how it holds up by today's standards!

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... s/ddII.htm
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Double Dragon

Post by ratsoalbion »

One of my earliest 1 credit completions at the arcade (DD1).

I believe I'm also quite high up on the Live leaderboards for the (sadly no longer available) XBLA version.

I think the EU Arcade Archives releases are generally out of step with the US, but I have a feeling I saw that this is out here today.

It's no Streets of Rage II though, but then again, what is?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Damn, didn't know there was an XBLA version. That's what I get for not paying much attention to that platform in it's heyday.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did anyone play the new(ish) version from a few years ago? It was free on PS+ at one point. I only played a bit, it seemed ok, not brilliant, but I never gave it much time at all really.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

My first experience of double dragon was the spectrum 48k conversion with the balloon headed characters and terrible controls. Then played the megadrive conversion which was not great.

But I still have a lot of love for the nes conversions of double dragon one and two, they where really fun games.

Double Dragon is a game in which I must have played so many different versions of as a child and have owned multiple versions of the game even if I don't have that many fond memories of the arcade game unlike Final Fight or Dragon Ninja which where my go to games In the arcade back in the day.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone remember Double Dragon wannabe, Renegade? I had it on the Amstrad and I bloody loved it. Look at those graphics! They still look brilliant!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Renegade wasn't a Double Dragon wannabe, it was its direct predecessor:
Renegade is a video game released in American and European arcades in 1986 by Taito. It is a westernized conversion (including changes to all of the sprites and backgrounds) of the Japanese arcade game Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun which roughly translates to "Hot-Blooded Tough Guy Kunio"), released earlier the same year by Technos. It is an immediate technological predecessor to Double Dragon, and Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun is the inaugural game in the Kunio-kun series (which includes Super Dodge Ball and River City Ransom).
The Amstrad CPC464 version was indeed a cracking port. Did you used to input the cheat code to make the blue/grey blood go red?
8-)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Was Target Renegade a home computer pseudo sequel to Renegade, or did that come from arcade roots as well? I'm a little hazy on the really early side scrolling brawlers. (There was a renegade 3 where you fought dinosaurs. I wish I was making that up)

With Double Dragon I think I probably played the Master System version the most. Pretty faithful version. I also had it on gameboy, but that's a very liberal conversion indeed.

My favourite side scroller is probably still the Capcom Aliens vs Predator one, I just really love the feel of it.

No one has ever really done the genre justice in the polygon era, dynamite deka was ok I guess. Most of the fun modern ones have been 2d, Scott pilgrim, castle crashes etc...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Off the top of my head Target: Renegade and Renegade III were home only spin-offs by Imagine/Ocean.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah interesting, thanks Leon - I'd always assumed Renegade was a Double Dragon ripoff, despite having played Renegade ages before I ever played DD.

And yeah, I did used to put the red blood cheat in, I'd forgotten all about doing that till I watched that video earlier!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ratsoalbion wrote:One of my earliest 1 credit completions at the arcade (DD1).?
NICE! Elbow?

Despite what a lot of people say about these games in retrospect, DD1 and (to a lesser extent) DD2 in the arcades were mindblowing when they came out. And the way attacks connected, coupled with the sound effects, felt a lot more impactful and raw than a lot of beat 'em ups that came after it.

I owned a NES and I loved it, but I was disgusted with the home port of the first game. DDII was much better and managed to satisfy me and my brother as a home console beat 'em up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Reverse elbow smash FTW! CRUNCH!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The only Double Dragon I ever played much of was the Sega Master System port of the first game. Whether or not it was good in reality I'm not sure, but my friend and I used to love playing it in co-op.
Crowcifer

Post by Crowcifer »

Ah! I had Target:Renegade on the Spectrum Sinclair. That was a fun game. I was a bit too young at the time to master it, but I happily watched my next-door neighbor beating it time and again.

The Double Dragon games were really fun, too. I miss sideways scrolling brawlers.