Project "Generation Station"

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Thesnipergecko

Project "Generation Station"

Post by Thesnipergecko »

My mate and I spent several hours on a Saturday night watching lots of old videos on YouTube of retro games.

Modern games just aren't doing it for me at the minute so I decided to source and invest in some retro stuff.

I also have my PC (spec in sig) a PS4 and Xbox-one

The First Three

Original in mint condition

Temporary TV

Then came the Dreamcast

With of course a copy of Shenmue

Controllers were a bit knackered so I ordered some new ones

The Station so far

Waiting for this to arrive

The space in the middle on the bottom shelf is reserved for a Gamecube.

I think I've spent around £200 so far and for that I've got:
  • TV
  • SNES
  • PS1
  • PS2
  • PS3
  • XBOX
  • Dreamcast
  • Gamecube
Extra's that I've bought
  • 2x controllers for each console
  • Scart RCA adapters for each console
  • A few software titles.
Maybe List:
  • Mega Drive II
  • N64
  • Wii
Some updated pics

TV arrived yesterday, just waiting for the Gamecube to arrive now. I've moved the PS2 down the bottom shelf now to sit with the PS1 and PS3. The Gamecube can go on the left side of the TV I think.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Flabyo

Re: Project "Generation Station"

Post by Flabyo »

That's pretty cool.

The PS3 probably isn't going to look it's best on that TV, and if you can find the VGA adaptor for the Dreamcast (which not every game supports, sadly) then you might want to add a cheap flatscreen PC monitor for those.

I should probably get around to properly putting my own stuff together like that. I have the Megadrive set up on my old trusty NTSC capable portable TV in my bedroom, but everything else is just sitting in cupboards. Be nice to have it all hooked up again, need to find a decent cabinet for it. (Not being able to drive makes picking up stuff like that a pain, have to wait in for deliveries etc...)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cool!
8-)

I definitely intend to get a nice CRT for the pre-HD machines, one day, when I have the space for the extra set-up.

I'd also like to get a VGA adaptor for my DC, but I have so few games left for that machine it would be a bit of an extravagance...
:mrgreen:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Nice! I have grand plans for a similar set up one day. Not enough room in the current house, but hopefully in the next!

There must be something in air at the minute as I've had a nostalgic yearning for some retro goodness recently. Only last week I got my Sega Saturn out of the eaves, and have just finished playing through Street Fighter Alpha 2 via my Vita.

There is a definitely a large Sega Saturn-shaped whole in there though mate (unashamed fanboy alert!). It has a stellar library of games, including the best versions of practically every 2D game released in the 32bit generation. It certainly has a more rounded and deeper catalogue than the Dreamcast (although I do love the DC!), and is really easy to make region-free thanks it's cartridge expansion slot: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EMS-Saturn-Act ... B003CZBUHM

The only problem with embracing the Saturn nowadays is the cost of some of the games. Many of the real gems can go for big bucks, particularly things that released in its twilight years, although there's still plenty of great stuff that can be picked up for reasonable money as well. Japanese imports are often cheaper than PAL versions of things as the Saturn was actually quite successful there meaning more copies of things are floating around the world vs their European counterparts.

If you ever think of picking one up and need some advice on what to try out I'd be happy to help! ;)
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

That looks like a super nice setup! :)

I wanna make a similar setup for all my old consoles at some point in the future so I can feel motivated to continue playing some of my older games I haven't been back to for a while. Right now I only have an HDTV in my apartment that I have my hd consoles hooked up to. I've tried playing some ps2 games on it, but they're kinda difficult for me to play on that screen. I've been spoiled lol
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

That looks awesome! I love looking at pictures of old consoles and people's setups, good work! For less than the cost of a single new console you've covered a lot of bases there. I currently play retro games on my JXD (android emulation console) but there's nothing quite like the real thing.

Keep the pics coming as you progress! :D
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Been wanting to do something similar myself. All I have is a Commodore 64 sitting in my cupboard at the mo. Still working and with a light gun.