Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Has Emily is Away been suggested? I haven't played it myself, but after reading some of the criticisms levelled at it (example - https://emshort.wordpress.com/2015/10/1 ... y-is-away/) it could make for an interesting episode, especially if there was a female voice in the mix.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:Emily is Away
Added!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yup.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan wrote:It must be a nightmare trying to whittle the long-list down to an actual schedule that suits everyone!
Correct! There are an almost incalculable amount of considerations taken into account when we put the schedule together.
It's actually a lot of fun in a way though!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think if mere mortals such as us were to gaze upon the spreadsheet by accident we'd go blind through the sheer existential terror of it.

Or most likely wonder what all the colours are supposed to mean.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdMan wrote:I have a pathological aversion to spreadsheets in general so if you're ever consider making it a community effort... well... don't.
Don't worry, I consider it one of the privileges - and editorial necessities - of the job. It just isn't something that could realistically be done by committee.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote:Or most likely wonder what all the colours are supposed to mean.
There are but three colours, and you are familiar with all of them.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aw, that's lovely. Thank you.
Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
:)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Has there ever been discussion of episodes focused on specific consoles? Now that they're in their twilight, doing a retrospective episode on the Vita or the Wii U and talking about their legacy and people's reaction to their hardware foibles and software libraries could be a fun episode.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It has been suggested by lusteners a number of times but it's not something I'm interested in doing - such episodes wouldn't tally with Cane and Rinse's 'format-agnostic' ethos.

Ultimately the conversation would become about what games were on a platform anyway. As far as Cane and Rinse is concerned the machines are just there to facilitate the playing of the games, although certainly we address host machines' (and controllers) strengths and weaknesses when we go into detail about certain titles, when relevant.

Hopefully, as the library of games we cover continues to grow, it becomes increasingly apparent what we consider the reasons to own each platform are anyway.

Apart from anything else we only get to do 50 odd games per year as it is and we have an ever-increasing list of titles (currently 1400-1500) that we (and the community), wants us to cover, so I'd rather retain that drive and focus on talking about as many different experiences as possible.

I imagine that platform-specific discussion is available elsewhere.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's a show called Retro Game Squad Podcast that's done a few good console retrospectives. They've also done episodes on stuff like lightgun games, horror games, unreleased games, expensive rare games etc. I don't listen to it every month but the ones I've heard have been pretty good.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Retronauts, too. They recently did an N64 show, pretty good.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm another recent convert to the podcast via Vice, and it's one I wish I had found a lot sooner because I've played and enjoyed many of the games you've talked about. Even when I don't agree with your opinions (Eternal Darkness and Binary Domain), I appreciate the fact that there is reasoning behind your opinions and that you stick to talking about the games. Thoroughly enjoy the podcast.

As for my suggestions - does it matter at this point if we suggest old games that didn't get a PAL release?

I know JRPGs aren't often played on the podcast, presumably for reasons of time, I would like to suggest a few.

Grandia 1 (which I know has been mentioned before, but I'm seconding it)

Shadow Hearts 1

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - aka SMT Lucifer's Call in the UK

Suikoden 2

For a few non-JRPG selections, I'd like to suggest

Ape Escape 1-3
Disaster Report/Raw Danger
Fatal Frame 1-3
Incredible Crisis
Jade Cocoon
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Maken X
Michigan
Mister Mosquito
Rule of Rose
Tenchu (Just chiming in that I would like to hear a show about one of the games as well)
Tokyo Jungle

Keep up the great work!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I've been playing Incredible Crisis recently actually, it's a lot of fun!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Agreed, although the last level is incredibly hard. My friend and I played it together and we only beat it by trading off the controller back and forth.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

has the team 17's worms series been added to the long list? I have some nice memories of playing the second one on our old computer making our own maps and challenges. it's still a game i play from time to time if there is a need for a couch co-op game as it is one of the best ones in my mind. anyone on the team play it enough to have a show? probably a shallow enough series to have them all in one episode too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A Worms episode would be really interesting, maybe focusing on 1 and 2?
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

remember those mini videos they had every time you started the game? they were like tom and jerry cartoon humour. I remember laughing so much at the one where they just aimed bigger and bigger weapons at each other and in the end the most lethal one was something small can't remember what it was. maybe the holy handgrenade.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha yeah. The first Worms game I got with my PS1 back in 1996 I think. The game inexplicably arrived 3 or 4 days earlier than the console itself, so I spent several hours just listening to the soundtrack in my CD player :lol:
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Good news, I requested the Worms series around two pages ago and Leon himself replied to say:
ratsoalbion wrote:
Worms (series)
Has crossed my mind on several occasions but hasn't appeared on the list until now.
So now it might be a future episode at some point which I am pretty happy about, glad that I am not the only one with fond memories of those games!