Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote:Shantae: Half Genie Hero (XBO)

This. Is. Amazing.

Its funny, self-aware, clever, well animated and has a great musical score thats a throwback to how you always remember 16-bit mascot platformers sounding (but not how they actually sounded).

And it has layers of complexity in the level design that come close to Wonderboy 3 levels of intricacy.
Great to hear you're enjoying this. It looks beautiful and right up my street! Added to my wishlist!

I've not had a huge amount of time to play anything in the last few weeks but have managed to spend a few hours with the Titanfall 2 campaign. Enjoying it so far although not experienced anything quite so awesome to justify the accolades heaped upon it since release. Also getting the feeling I should have played on hard, as right now it's a bit of a cakewalk. Hoping things pick up in the second half!
Suits

Post by Suits »

So I'm playing through Super Metroid on my Super Famicom and I've hit a wall.

Not a difficulty spike, just a wall. I feel like I'm missing a power up or something that will allow me to get past these few areas with disolving floor blocks.

I hit it the other day and did the old the "put it down, come back to it a few days later trick".

Nope, still the same, stuck. Proper stuck. Clueless.

Just realised there's a dash button :|
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hahaha, the exact same thing happened to me. Looked up a guide and it was like "run across this bridge" and I was like "...you can run?"
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Disappointed I've not had a chance to return to Bloodborne since Christmas, but looking forward to jumping back in to that when I can. In the meantime I've been playing Fallout 4 on remote play on Vita. It works amazingly well - one of the few games to bother thinking about remapping controls properly when playing on Vita. Spent about 4 hours in it and only just met up with the survivors in the museum. Loving it so far.
Craig

Post by Craig »

My brother got me Majora`s Mask 3DS for Christmas and I`ve only just now had time to start playing it. Really impressed with the facelift. I thought the Ocarina of Time remake was great, but this really shines.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

xenoblade chronicles.

had it for ages sitting in my wii u folder but just started playing it this christmas
loving it so far, put 8 hours in already
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Currently playing a bit of Cities:Skylines, it's a great city-building simulator and everything that EA/Maxis' 2013 SimCity should have been... the less said about that game, the better!

As it is, I am currently happily building bus routes and underground lines for all my little sims to get to work and back, the level of detail in the game is quite amazing, and all the traffic is accurately modelled so many hours can also be frittered away examining traffic congestion and building increasingly elaborate junctions with slip roads and motorways heading off in all kinds of crazy directions.

Great fun! (If you're into that kind of thing...)
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Hierony wrote:xenoblade chronicles.

had it for ages sitting in my wii u folder but just started playing it this christmas
loving it so far, put 8 hours in already

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Did a beginners guide to it for Vice if you wanted a read:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/how- ... nicles-035
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Started the Attack on Titan game from Omega Force (the dynasty warriors guys) and it is glorious.

It doesn't play like a warriors game, but it has the same spirit as one. Lots of enemies, cheesy j-rock, slightly clunky menu systems with massive fonts...

They got that the one thing a game based on that show needs to do is capture the feeling of motion. It's not quite as fluid as, say, Sunset Overdrive, but it feels amazing to swoop around the level attack things from all angles and watch the claret fly.

Appears to have then voice actors from the show (well, the Japanese ones anyway, no English dub here), and it's using the same cel shading engine as Arslan did so it looks the part.

The story mode follows the plot of the anime pretty closely, although it also has a more open ended 'expedition' mode with lots more level variety.

I'm having a blast with it.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Oh that new Shantae game is out? Will need to check it out, big platformer fan and yet have never tried this series. Loved what I have seen of it so far.

I was staying at a friend's place last week on holiday and got to try out a lot of multiplayer stuff. Warioware for Gamecube, Mario Party 2 and 10 and Kirby: Return to Dreamland. Have not done local multiplayer in donkey's years, felt good to be in the same room with mates and have a laugh.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Last night, I completed the first two levels of the 2010 version of Splatterhouse in PS3. After that, I went back to the main menu, scrolled down to classics, and booted up the original uncensored 1988 arcade version of Splatterhouse. And instantly I had much more fun.

I will probably slug my way through the rest of the game to unlock the other Splatterhouse sequels, but geez, I get why the reviews were on the negative side. It's not without some merit, but yeah, I mainly bought this game for those unlockables.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I've been feverishly playing Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Wii. I've been singing the praises of this series for a little bit on this forum and this game is just as much fun as the previous two. I'm still working through the final stretch of remixes, but I saw the credits last night and man they are great! The best part starts at 2:19.

This series is the best!!
Suits

Post by Suits »

gallo_pinto wrote:I've been feverishly playing Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Wii. I've been singing the praises of this series for a little bit on this forum and this game is just as much fun as the previous two. I'm still working through the final stretch of remixes, but I saw the credits last night and man they are great! The best part starts at 2:19.
I found Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Wii soooooo hard, like unplayably hard.

Not sure whether it was a sync issue or what but I couldn't get past the mouse clock level.

I was playing on a Wii U with the old Wii disc.

The one on the 3DS I didn't have too much of a problem with at all, until the end where it was intentionally hard but doable.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Darkest Dungeon on the PS4 and Vita - This game has been a bit of a funny one for me. I really like the game, everything apart from the controls are really good and interesting but it just has not been clicking with me. It feels really grindy and the difficulty and mechanics can feel unforgiving but something about it has kept me coming back. I'm on my 3rd fresh start and it has really started to click, the reward from beating a difficult dungeon run is well worth the initial struggle. I would really recommend it to anyone who is interested, be prepared to die a lot though and those controls are a pain in the ass, even 10 hours in.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Suits wrote:Not sure whether it was a sync issue or what but I couldn't get past the mouse clock level.
Yeah, I found that level really hard too. There were some levels that I found really, really challenging, but if I walked away from it for a while, I often had more luck when I came back to it fresh. But the clock level really threw me off for a while.
James

Post by James »

Beck wrote:Darkest Dungeon on the PS4 and Vita - This game has been a bit of a funny one for me. I really like the game, everything apart from the controls are really good and interesting but it just has not been clicking with me. It feels really grindy and the difficulty and mechanics can feel unforgiving but something about it has kept me coming back. I'm on my 3rd fresh start and it has really started to click, the reward from beating a difficult dungeon run is well worth the initial struggle. I would really recommend it to anyone who is interested, be prepared to die a lot though and those controls are a pain in the ass, even 10 hours in.
Of note, perhaps, Red Hook have announced Radiant Mode to arrive in early Feb (PC/Mac/Linux) and sometime thereafter on PS4/Vita. They claim that this will reduce the amount of roster grinding, without affecting the difficulty. Remains to be seen, of course, and it certainly seems like you've come to terms with the grind, but nice to see the devs take notice of common complaints. :)
Beck

Post by Beck »

James, you life saver. Thank you so much, I was completely unaware of this update. After reading some strategy guides today I was considering starting again, again, haha. This makes that decision so much easier, I'll keep toying around in the hope that the update comes out soon because I don't think I have the free time to finish this game normally :)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I picked up the Star Wars Battlefront season pass for £16.99 minus 20% from an email code in the PSN sale, which has given the game a new lease of life for me. The Deafh Star map is a lot of fun. Spending most of my time on Lego Dimensions - a game my son and I play together on the rare occasions he's bored enough to pick up a controller, but for the last week or so I've been on there long after he's gone to bed! I've absolutely maxed out the Midway Arcade level pack, and now I'm retreading the levels we've played together to get every last drop out of them. I've never been that into Lego Games, but the sheer variety of characters, locations and things to discover has really grabbed me. And stumbling across Bedrock after spotting a Tardis point was such a great surprise!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Still playing Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom. Got to the point in story mode where it's covered all the ground the anime did, but that's not the end of the game. There's an epilogue chapter that unlocks slowly as you play through the other mode that I suspect might be based on the next events in the manga (and therefore will be in season 2 of the anime) so I feel compelled to keep going and not yet mark it as 'complete' in the thread.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Like others in this post I've started on Stein's;Gate (finally) on Vita, and while I'm only maybe about an hour and a half in, I'll be in for the long haul.

I won't talk spoilers, mainly because I can't, but the fact that I recognise the slightly fictionalised Akihabara means that I'm spent far too much time there in real life, going from shop to shop, building to building, climbing many stairs up many floors, cutting through the crowded streets, actively distancing myself from the loud white Americans who get super excited about finding an obscure title, becoming increasingly aware of my own behaviour and tempering it accordingly... The game does a pretty accurate job of capturing the feel of the place.

But then maybe I'm projecting that upon the game... :|