No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
skidoosh

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by skidoosh »

Well. I gave it three hours last night and I can honestly say I haven't got a clue if I like it or not. Had to restart after the first instance it gave me put me fifteen mins from the objective ten mins of which was a cave with no exit. The rest just seems to be busy work. The ui, inventory and crafting are pretty poor. You have to have an empty slot to create the same stack-able object. There's a bug where you'll be walking towards something, turn to look at something else and when you look back -it's gone. Also another where you'll mine a large object walk back to your ship turn around and it's back. But when you walk back to mine it again it "pops-out". I keep finding artifacts that help you identify words in the local alien locale (like in Tomb Raider) but when you meet one on a space station, you can understand them fluently, so what's the point? Just more busy work?

But in spite of all of that, I was really enjoying just bobbing round. Got a real Frontier: Elite vibe from the back and forth between the planets and the space station. They've made the flight element quite simple, so that's quite fun. I'm just hoping that's it's not all busy work. Suppose I'll see how far I get!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It's very basic, as you say. I spent a bit more time with it yesterday and I'm happy to report it does get better, at least to the point where I'm happy bimbling about checking out stuff, and I'm happy that there are at least some interesting discoveries to be made.

I spent a lot of time in a hangar bay just waiting for the right ship to come in, so I could buy it. This was random chance, it was worse than farming pure bladestone, but I got there in the end. :D
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Chopper wrote:farming pure bladestone
Ahhhh! The good old days :D Glad to hear it gets better. It's good to have a "just mooch around" game once it a while.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've been loaned a copy of this by Follow my Ruin so now that I've had my fill of Horizon Zero Dawn for the time being, I'll probably start venturing into space exploration very soon (and making good use of the photo mode!)
countstex

Post by countstex »

JaySevenZero wrote: April 11th, 2017, 9:36 am I've been loaned a copy of this by Follow my Ruin so now that I've had my fill of Horizon Zero Dawn for the time being, I'll probably start venturing into space exploration very soon (and making good use of the photo mode!)
Always felt a bit of an oversight that there wasn't a photo mode from the start. The game is literally made for sight seeing.

Should probably go back and check that out. Does anyone know of it's pure screenshots or if it renders at a higher resolution for this shots?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

countstex wrote: April 11th, 2017, 11:37 am Should probably go back and check that out. Does anyone know of it's pure screenshots or if it renders at a higher resolution for this shots?
Y'know, there's an easy way to find out! ;)
countstex

Post by countstex »

JaySevenZero wrote: April 11th, 2017, 11:44 am
Y'know, there's an easy way to find out! ;)
Fair point. Hope my freighter is still out there!
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

JaySevenZero wrote: April 11th, 2017, 9:36 am I've been loaned a copy of this by Follow my Ruin so now that I've had my fill of Horizon Zero Dawn for the time being, I'll probably start venturing into space exploration very soon (and making good use of the photo mode!)
I'm quite looking forward to going back to it. With a bit of luck you won't have to start over like I did on the first mission.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Photo mode is real nice in this game, so, provided you actually want to play NMS, you should have a good time with it, Jay.

Problem is a lot of people don't like playing it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Big update dropping this week, sounds interesting.

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Portal travel for starters!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Is there a youtube idiots guide anywhere?. I've picked it up but spent 30 minutes mining and then getting attacked by annoying little flying robots. It says to repair my ship but I'm not sure how?
James

Post by James »

Here's a guide I found. Hope it helps!
James

Post by James »

I honestly can't remember how much tutorialising there is at the beginning, but you're certainly not the only person who's struggled with this - hence the Polygon video!

Oh, here's another which seems to have some good early day tips:
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

This is great - No Man's Sky is likely to be one of my first purchases for my shiny new PlayStation 4. Mainly because it's dirt cheap!

But yes, I will certainly be the kind of player that needs additional hand-holding, so these videos are perfect.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Thanks chaps.

This is a classic case of a game that could've done with an instruction booklet. Man I miss instruction booklets.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 9th, 2017, 12:58 pm Man I miss instruction booklets.
Ah yes, the smell of a fresh instruction booklet... one of life's true pleasures, snatched from us.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Update 1.3 live on PC and PS4. Supposed to be a massive change and improvement in every single way. Notes here:

https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/

I'm most excited to be able to fly closer to the surface of planets and crash my ship into the terrain.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Thanks for posting these videos. I'm thinking of restarting for the new update because I haven't played in a few months.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Well after downloading the update, it looks like I'll have to restart because I can't reach my base because it's literally up in the air.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Is relocating your base an option? Does this require physical disassembly?