The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by James »

Gerudo is a weird and wonderful place. Come to think of it, each of the towns near a DB is pretty cool in its own way.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I guess I still have two to find!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers Flabyo / James, yeah I have the beeping thing I just thought there might be something I was missing from the binoculars-type view.

Gerudo I've just discovered, took me a while to figure out how to get to climb the tower in that lake that kills you!Then like always it's 'oh THAT's how you do it' and it seems incredibly simple :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just rolled the credits.

One of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Excellent stuff.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

OK I'm struggling a little with this game, there's a strong possibility I'm just shit at it, but here's where I'm having trouble if anyone has any tips!

Spoilering this just in case.
Spoiler: show
I currently have five hearts and one stamina boost bar. I'm at the point where I've unlocked the divine beast dungeon in Zora's Domain, after beating the arrows bit. So I've gone off to get some more hearts by beating shrines, but I'm having real trouble with the combat ones - I get destroyed, I'm talking half an hour battles with the guardian bot things and I do next to no damage (weapons of 20+). So I'm really struggling to beat shrines now. Should I just go into the divine beast dungeon with what I have or am I woefully underpowered? I feel like I'm very, very weak when I'm facing off against enemies and I'm not sure how to sort if if I can't beat the shrines :? Are there any places I should be spending more time to do / find easier shrines? I've also found some towers I cant' scale due to these awful wizards that kill me really easily so any tips for those too would be great!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm still holding off but I did face the end boss once and didn't beat him. I've still got one Beast left and probably half of the shrines. I'm just taking my time because I'm in no particular rush I've put in a good 90 hours and still not anywhere close to bored of this. I've started Nier Automata because I've heard so many good things but I just find the form and function of the Switch so appealing. I can barely be bothered with the PS4 at the mo. Agreed though that this is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and it could be objectively the best open world game ever.

Dark Souls is still my favourite game ever for what it means to me and what it meant when I played it, amongst a number of other incredibly elegant and beautiful thematic and mechanical reasons, but I think BotW is incomparable to anything else, in so many aspects.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The best non spoilery advice I can give is to simply explore.

There's tons of Shrines, tons. Find them, tag them, attempt them, move on.

I struggled for a while, in a very similar way to yourself. Then just spent a few evenings after work exploring in handheld mode on the sofa and sort of found a rhythm for myself.

I was soon ready for all comers.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

hazeredmist wrote: April 16th, 2017, 9:57 pm OK I'm struggling a little with this game, there's a strong possibility I'm just shit at it, but here's where I'm having trouble if anyone has any tips!
Spoiler: show
Very few of the shrines are combat ones, most are puzzles. There's over a hundred shrines to find, so you should be able to find plenty to raise your stats. It's worth cooking up food that gives you bonus extra hearts to have handy for the tougher fights too.

In terms of the combat ones, early game you won't be able to do ones that aren't 'minor' unless you're very good at the expert combat stuff like parry, dodge, flurry etc... (if you don't know what those are... do the shrine at Kakariko village, it's basically the combat tutorial).

More specifically, the combat trials are learnable as the enemies have a predictable pattern. First phase they attack with their weapon, lot of wind up so you should have time to dodge. Then they back off and charge at you, you should aim to put something between them and you when they do, they'll be stunned by the impact. After that there are two more phases they go through as you whittle their health down, but each has a very specific thing you do to beat it, remember you have the slate abilities as well as your weapons.

I think the divine beast to the north west is the easiest of the four, but the one you're doing was the first I did and it's really just a case of having a lot of healing stuff and arrows.

Getting better clothing and then upgrading it probably makes the most difference...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Thanks very much Flabyo / Suits, much appreciated. I'm probably being impatient. That shrine at Kakiriko is a good call. I'm gonna get back on it :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've cracked the spine on my official Z:BotW guide (it's such a great looking hardback book) in the back there's a great big fold out map.

I had a quick look flick through the book and it seems very detailed, like way detailed.

I looked at the map and on one side it has the Shrine locations, which is what I was after really.

I'm about 120 hours clocked at the moment and was at 80 Shrines. I could have pressed on and found more by myself but I don't have infinite time.

Anyway, my plan is thus;

To use the map to locate the final Shrines, then to stamp them on my in-game map all in one go.

Once I've done that I have to sniff them out myself, which in a few cars has been easier said than done. I'm about 8 in on the ones I missed and some of them I'd have never found, or just walked past them forever.

It's giving me a step up in the final tens of hours of the game, without taking all the satisfaction out of completeing the Shrines.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I think that's a great way to do it, Suits. At a certain point, you're not going to find some of the most obscure Shrines, so turning to a guide is entirely fair, in my estimation.

Besides, even knowing where they are on the map (either by marking from a guide or Sheikah Sensor) still leaves quite a bit of exploring to do. :-)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Mastered the art of Guardian slaying now. Electric arrows and a heavy weapon to take out their legs does the trick.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Learn to time shield deflects of their laser as well... you'll burn through shields but it's seriously funny.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Just finished the first Divine Beast, after gathering more hearts etc. Advice helped a lot, I wandered around a lot more and shrines I couldn't do I just passed on and I can go back to them. I wound up with 8 hearts and it was more than enough. I'm also finding now progression can just be a side-effect of continued exploration with this game. It's just so damn good.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

hazeredmist wrote: April 21st, 2017, 12:28 amI'm also finding now progression can just be a side-effect of continued exploration with this game.
This is probably the most genius part of the game design. It's a ridiculously hard thing to get right, and not many open world games manage it.

I mean, technically the progression system in Elder Scrolls games where using a skill improves it is doing this, but the skill progression is so slow and made up of such tiny increments it's hard to get a feel that you're improving. Breath of the Wild has its character improvements be chunkier things so you feel each bump up has a tangible immediate effect.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I discovered what you can do with snowballs last night.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Wait...what? :O
Sean

Post by Sean »

To avoid spoilers, is the only way to get the item you need to enter Gerudo Town by paying $600? Seems like a super high price...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think so, yes. At least, that's the only way I managed to get in.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That's not massively high, you can get that by just selling a few things you've cooked.