Our Patreon

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
Craig

Re: Help us DOUBLE the amount of Cane and Rinse podcasts!

Post by Craig »

Always meant to ask - what is the music at the start of the earlier Cane and Rinse episodes/the recording you made to explain about the further push on Patreon?

I prefer the way it's done now, opening with a piece of music from the game, but it's got a lovely groove to it!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's a specially commissioned piece by a guy called Ben Siddall from indie band The Lodger.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lodger_(band)
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Finally got round to doubling my pledge - really hope you meet your target guys - I've been and avid listener and sometimes contributer for a while now and I just wanted to say I love Cane and rinse - I love hearing about my favourite hobby from like minded people. Good luck 🙂

PS I also brought a couple of t-shits which are very nice indeed 😉
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

kintaris wrote: June 23rd, 2017, 7:25 pm In simple value-for-money terms: Taking all of the elements of Cane and Rinse together, I get at least double the entertainment hours as I've been getting out of my Netflix subscription in the last three months. Thus, you've earned twice that.
That Netflix comparison is a really interesting way of looking at it. The only thing I've watched on Netflix in the last 6 months has been Better Call Saul. Aside from the kids watching Peppa Pig and some other cartoon it's really not been used. Cane and Rinse has provided much better value for money for a good while now! I'd never thought to look at it like that, but it's a great point.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'll try and increase my own monthly contribution when I get paid! More Cane and rinse can't be a bad thing!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thank you Chase!
:D
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

I recently ended my subscription to a certain football magazine, and have just decided to put the extra funds towards something that these days gives me much more pleasure - proud to say I'm now a Cane and Rinse Patron.

I think this is the first time I've ever given voluntarily (charities excepted) to a cause where I was receiving the content for free anyway. I'd like to think that statement is a reflection of how exceptional Cane & Rinse is rather than my stinginess, although I suppose the two things aren't mutually exclusive. :)

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned about the gap Cane & Rinse would leave if it ever ceased, and I completely agree. There are 15-20 podcasts I listen to regularly, including output from the likes of the BBC and The Guardian, and yet if you stranded me on a desert island and told me I could only continue to have access to one of those, Cane and Rinse would be my choice. Even the very best of things come to an end at some point, but I sincerely hope that in this case it's not for a long time to come.

One of the things that really makes you stand out for me is how much value you place on the Cane and Rinse community, and the contributions of your listenership. It still gives me a thrill to hear one of my posts read out by those familiar voices (even if I do cringe a bit at how pretentious I sometimes sound!), and I'm staggered by the extent to which you engage here on the forums. I absolutely recognise that as you continue to grow, you'll no longer be able to include every single contribution on the podcast, or respond to every forum post (or at least for the sake of your sanities I hope you don't try to!), but please try not to lose that connection as it's one of the things which makes you so brilliant.

Some folks in this thread have commented about the podcast format. For my part, I think it works just grand as it is, and generally believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you do decide to innovate however, I have faith that whatever the output ends up looking like it'll be just as great as it is now.

I do have a couple of suggestions for possible one-off podcasts. I'm only mentioning them here because it seems as good a place as any, not out of some misplaced sense of entitlement just because I'm now a patron - feel free to completely ignore and I will take absolutely no offence! :)

One is a podcast where you take the listeners behind the scenes a bit, perhaps talk about what's involved in producing C & R, how you select games, the panel, episode order etc. I do appreciate though that you might not want to give away trade secrets...

The other suggestion is a podcast where we learn more about the individuals that make up the C & R team, how you met or came to be involved in the podcast, or about your backgrounds in the gaming industry (where relevant).

As I say, feel free to ignore, these are just suggestions for subjects I'd find interesting and I may well be in a minority of one!

Anyway, good luck and I hope the Patreon campaign continues to march on.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Thoughts on the changes to the way fees are handled?

To be honest I cancelled my pledge because I loathe it when policy changes fuck over the people who are paying the money

Think I'll buy a couple of your tees today instead
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I came here to discuss the same thing. I'm not cancelling, but am interested in whether their new fee structure means you're taking a hit in the amount you actually see from pledges each month? I know prices go up, times change, and there's little to be done to stop that, but I'm hoping it won't affect you too much?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Whippledip wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:41 pm
To be honest I cancelled my pledge because I loathe it when policy changes fuck over the people who are paying the money
It's not though, is it? It's fucking over the people who receive it, surely?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Our Patreon

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it at this point.

It makes it more complicated for us to tell people what they are actually going to be donating, starting with the recording we've just done, where I've basically alerted folks to the change in Ts & Cs.

In terms of what Cane and Rinse will end up with, whether it will be more or less depends entirely on the generosity of our patrons either way.

If most of our backers continue to donate after these changes then we will actually net considerably more, as Patreon will be taking less of a cut from us.

However, if people feel that they can't afford or don't want to pay the extra fee on top then we may see a reduction.

I plan to put out an audio update regarding our Patreon very soon which will address this, as well as the end of the 2017 campaign and perhaps looking at what we might offer in 2018.

We absolutely need your donations to to keep doing what we are doing - mainly from the perspective of the amount of time that particularly Jay and I put into Cane and Rinse - and we hope that people will consider even the new minimum of <> $1.38 - which is around a quid - to be decent value for money for what is something like 12 hours of (we think) good quality entertainment per month.

NB: We will be adding a PayPal donation button to the site in the very near future for those who can't or don't wish to engage with Patreon.

Any donation of course remains 100% optional (currently something like 1.5% of our listeners donate).
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Alex79uk wrote: December 7th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Whippledip wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:41 pm
It's not though, is it? It's fucking over the people who receive it, surely?
Well it's both, if you want to give the same amount of money as previously you'll have to add a little to cover that fee, if people's pledges are the same then the creators will see less of it come through as the patrons are now covering that extra fee.

EDIT:
ratsoalbion wrote: December 7th, 2017, 11:21 pm If most of our backers continue to donate after these changes then we will actually net considerably more, as Patreon will be taking less of a cut from us.
I didn't realise this though. I assumed Patreon's cut would stay the same, so now it looks like things might even out in the end but only at the extra expense of the people paying the money?

Their email seems to be unclear on this:
With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees.

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, a creator’s income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month.
The wording seems to imply they're dropping their cut, but then say their existing cut is already 5%
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Our Patreon

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmmm, interesting. Good spot Whippledip.

We'll look into it - as well as other potential alternative methods for those kind enough among you to power us with pounds!
:)

Ok so here's what Patreon sent us:

Dear creator,

In order to continue our mission of funding the creative class, we’re always looking for ways to do what’s best for you - creators.

With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees.

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, you may notice that your income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month. Your patrons may not even be aware that you actually take home a lower percentage of their intended pledges because of it. Our goal is to make your paycheck as predictable as possible, so we’re restructuring how these fees are paid.

A new service fee of 2.9% + $0.35 will be paid by patrons for each individual pledge starting on December 18th. This streamlines fees for both creators and patrons to ensure that you pay no more than 5%.

Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Oh so it's the usual startup MO of avoiding any of the usual responsibility of operating a business to maximise their revenue.

I saw someone share this which seems to say that there is a breakpoint where it actually becomes more profitable for creators. It also seems to favour already established creators over emerging or new creators. I supposed it depends on the average pledge level people go for, I'd guess for someone in your position it's probably around 5 bucks or so?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Our current average donor is $2.80 per month or thereabouts. I'm not sure where that leaves us as I haven't done the maths yet, and obviously this may change as the dust settles/word spreads.

It'll be easier for new donors to accept the changes than existing ones I should think.

As so many people have suggested (even requested) it, we plan to add tiers and incentives in 2018 as well.

But as I say, we will also be adding a PayPal button to the website in the near future allowing folks to donate single one-off amounts of their exact choosing with no extra fees on top.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

They're doing it because they've calculated that can get away with it, simply, and I really hope it doesn't have anything but positive knock-on for C&R. I personally think a dollar minimum is a nice round number but also undersells what you put out, anyway! I'll be keen to see what tiers come in and wish you the very best for next year's push.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thank you for the kind words, Stanshall - appreciated!
:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just putting the feelers out as we explore additional/alternative options.

How do people (i.e. you guys) feel about Kickstarter's 'Drip'?:
https://d.rip/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm more confused than ever! I'd assumed the +0.35 dollars would be taken from our existing donations before the remainder is passed on to the recipient (i.e. Cane & Rinse), as opposed to being an extra levy the donator pays on top of their existing donation?

If it's the former, I was going to simply increase my donation by 35 cents to cancel out the amount Patreon will take, but if it's the latter then not much changes does it? (other than a 'forced' increase in payments taken from supporters - and I completely understand this is not at the wishes of C&R!)

Basically, I'm asking that if I want C&R to recieve the same amount of money from me each month as they were before, do I need to increase my donation by a few pence? (which I'm more than happy to do, I don't want you guys losing out).
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

As far as I can tell Alex, it's an extra levy on you.

But the fact that I don't know for sure what this means is precisely why I'm not cancelling anything in Patreon just yet. Patreon won't suffer if I just cancel everything in a reactionary way - the creators I support will. I feel like a lot of people are inadvertently injuring the smaller creators they care about by just jacking this all in without a second thought.

I am happy to pay this tiny extra on all of the Patreons I support while the creators behind them work out next steps - and all the creators I support have always had an open dialogue about their plans, it's the reason I'm willing to donate in the first place. I will move with them if and when they decide another platform or pay method is preferable.