The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
seansthomas

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by seansthomas »

Scrustle wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 5:31 pm Grasshopper has put out a press release giving an overview of what the game will be like, and it seems it will be pretty similar to previous NMH games, rather than some compilation like Guild. The game is supposedly "a raucous 3D action title, where Travis Touchdown wields the Beam Katana to massacre his way through countless enemies, taking on ferocious bosses in an epic battle with Badman." Sounds pretty NMH-like to me. There's still a lot of room there to mix things up with the indie stuff though. I can imagine enemies or bosses being lifted from or inspired by their source material. Could also include some interesting mechanical tweaks too.

I think the name might be throwing some people off. It is a bit weird, having "No More Heroes" as the subtitle, but I don't think that means the game isn't going to be a proper sequel. It might be partly to not scare away newcomers, since its been so long since the series was active. It also makes me wonder about the status of NMH2 in all this. This new game is supposedly set 7 years after the events of the first. Specifically that one, no mention of the sequel. With story details of this new game being tied to the first, and it also being directed by Suda, unlike NMH2, it makes me wonder if they've decided 2 isn't canon anymore. Or maybe something got lost in translation, since its been 7 years since 2 came out, so maybe they meant to say this time jump is based on that instead. I guess we will find out later, or if they decide to inform us of whether a certain video rental store owner is alive or not.
I can't recall now when the sequel is set? I think it's a few years after he'd retired and he's forced back into doing assassinations. Maybe this bridges the gap between the two?

The trailer references his killing of Bad Girl. Presume that was the original game?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

seansthomas wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 6:44 pm
I can't recall now when the sequel is set? I think it's a few years after he'd retired and he's forced back into doing assassinations. Maybe this bridges the gap between the two?

The trailer references his killing of Bad Girl. Presume that was the original game?
You're right about the premise for NMH2. Originally I was going to talk about all the clues in the game about the setting, since it's not explicitly said in the game itself, from what I remember. But I just looked in the game's manual, and it says right there that it's 3 years after the first game. Travis Strikes Again is definitely 7 years after the first game too. Had to look it up to check just in case. Very strange way of wording things, but that's definitely the case.

And yes, Bad Girl was one of the later bosses in the first game. So maybe they simply focused on the time split of that game because of the story connection.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Just a segue from the News thread re: LA Noire.

It's probably the Rockstar game I'm least interested in playing on any system but I do hope it signals some re-releases of their better stuff. Remarkable to think that they could feasibly put the single player mode from GTAV on the system. I'd get that and Red Dead, no doubt. I'm not generally a big R* fan anyway but good to see their interest and intentions.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Stanshall wrote: September 9th, 2017, 1:31 pm Just a segue from the News thread re: LA Noire.

It's probably the Rockstar game I'm least interested in playing on any system but I do hope it signals some re-releases of their better stuff. Remarkable to think that they could feasibly put the single player mode from GTAV on the system. I'd get that and Red Dead, no doubt. I'm not generally a big R* fan anyway but good to see their interest and intentions.
I'm 100% with you. Would love to play those two games on Switch, less so this one. My gut feeling is it won't sell amazingly on the system when you consider it'll be £10 more for cart size reasons and it's not got great reputation in the first place. But I'm curious...

Just not sure why this rerelease isn't RDR? With the second delayed, why not put that out cross system to get people excited for the follow up? Perfect for Switch lovers, newcomers to PS4 and nostalgic previous gen owners alike.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Another agree here, not being someone that has much interest in LA Noire - it's a good sign that R* are looking at the Switch. I'd not surprised if Bully came across before anything else, if anything else comes across.

The Switch seems to have filled that hipster sector of gaming, it's not big on power, is portable and people want to play it.

How many times have you heard people in the industry say that they wish all new releases were available on the Switch - everyone wants to play things on it. Developers know this too.

The £10 Switch Tax is a PITA but its something people are seeming to accept to be able to play multi-platform games on the platform.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The open world in LA Noire is substantially less complex than that of red dead or gta, it almost certainly uses a lot less system power for those sections. Not sure whether the switch can do the more complex ones or not (and given gta San Andreas did just fine in the ps2 it probably can) but it’s more likely that this is the easiest of their back catalog to port, so they went with it first.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch could run a version of GTA V. That game was originally designed to work on consoles with only half a GB of RAM, and with the weird partitioned RAM the PS3 had as well. Despite not being able to compete with the XB1/PS4, I get the feeling that the Switch has some untapped potential. It's kind of in a weird position when it comes to how much power it has. I don't think we've seen anything yet that really takes full advantage of what it has to offer. Maybe Xenoblade 2 will be the game to show us what it's really capable of.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Problem is, the Switch is only as strong as it is in its weakest form - handheld/portable.

So any version of anything, would have to run in that mode and make sensible use of the battery.

Not saying it's not possible but I find the rate that Mario+Rabbids sucks the power from the system a bit of an issue and I'd expect anything GTA-ish to be even more hungry.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Scrustle wrote: September 9th, 2017, 7:00 pm I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch could run a version of GTA V. That game was originally designed to work on consoles with only half a GB of RAM, and with the weird partitioned RAM the PS3 had as well. Despite not being able to compete with the XB1/PS4, I get the feeling that the Switch has some untapped potential. It's kind of in a weird position when it comes to how much power it has. I don't think we've seen anything yet that really takes full advantage of what it has to offer. Maybe Xenoblade 2 will be the game to show us what it's really capable of.
I think you're spot on. Every game out so far bar ARMS started life as a Wii U game, so when dedicated Switch titles start appearing it'll be fascinating.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's a new Nintendo Direct on the 13th at 11pm. It's apparently 45 minutes long so I'm expecting a really long explanation of Pac Man Vs again ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I know it's going to be a 3DS/Switch game themed Direct, with some Mario Focus but.....

There was that supposed leak/mistake by a 3rd party developer last week that hinted about a leaderboard, achievement system that Nintendo were working on. I'd personally enjoy that sort of thing.

It's surely got to be time for a few system based upgrades hasn't it ?? YouTube or Netflix app maybe ??

I love these Directs :) .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Obviously I'm all about the games but iPlayer and Netflix (and other streaming services) for Switch would be ace.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I keep forgetting and remembering that Virtual Console is a thing/will hopefully be a thing and then I panic and think oh god what if it's never a thing?
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Suits wrote: September 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm I know it's going to be a 3DS/Switch game themed Direct, with some Mario Focus but.....

There was that supposed leak/mistake by a 3rd party developer last week that hinted about a leaderboard, achievement system that Nintendo were working on. I'd personally enjoy that sort of thing.

It's surely got to be time for a few system based upgrades hasn't it ?? YouTube or Netflix app maybe ??

I love these Directs :) .
I just let Mr TrueAchievement/TrueTrophies know about that. He's getting Nintendo-related domains at the ready just in case :lol:

I find the Directs much more exciting than conferences, and they're more regular. And cheaper to make.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Guys... my 3DS has died on this, the week of Metroid.

BALLS!

edit: despite the charging port being non-functional, it'll still charge via a charging cradle.

I'm back on the Metroid train!

WOOHOO!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Metroid Samus Returns getting very positive reviews all round. Well done Mercury Steam!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yes, very much looking forward to Metroid on Friday.

Now that I've finished M+R I can give this my full attention.

I remember very little to nothing of my time with the original cart and my silly snobbery towards original hardware meant that I skipped over AM2R, so this - I'm looking forward too 8-) .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Easy to say but you honestly could have borrowed my 3DS, dez. I rarely use it these days. If you do have any probs with your charging dock, just PM me. I know how long you've been looking forward to it!

I just picked up Rayman which I've heard so much about over the years. What a bloody brilliant and beautiful platform game this is shaping up to be. So many great moments already, I'll be surprised if this isn't in my top 5 of the year. That sounds bonkers when I think back over what I've played but I'm loving this and it's right up there.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Thanks Stanshall, appreciate it. Got such a nice community here, had a few people offer me their 3ds' to play Metroid on!

Rayman Lemons is top bananas :)