The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

I'm gunna say there's going to be at least one official Mario Odyssey themed Switch peripheral announced on tonight's Direct.

And I want it.

Already.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Mario Red and Blue joycons. Calling it now.

And amiibo to unlock costumes from other games like Mario Link.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Red and Green, M&L Joycon. I'll put a fiver on at Betfred.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Both wrong - both red!
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm sure Stanshall will agree we were half right ;)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Very, very tempted to pick up a Switch but I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to introduce a new version of the Switch sometime within the next year with better memory etc., as they are wont to do.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Some decent information last night with a couple of surprises! I'll definitely be playing Wolfenstein 2 on Switch as the release date for the other platforms is on Super Mario Day and it's got no chance. Quite a clever move, really.

Hopefully they'll be good ports (very DOOM is also coming!) and i'm sure they will be.

Arcade Archives is interesting. I've never played the Vs. versions of the classic Nintendo stuff before but I doubt i'll buy into them. It does however slowly introduce the idea of something similar to the Virtual Console.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I did have a bit of a moment when Lyn appeared. That's about it, though.

To be fair, Mario looks like a lot of fun.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 14th, 2017, 7:51 am I did have a bit of a moment when Lyn appeared. That's about it, though.

To be fair, Mario looks like a lot of fun.
I don't know why but bare-chested Mario on the beach level made me feel uncomfortable. I guess my brain always considered his clothing and his body to be one and the same, like a LEGO figure, rather than something he could whip off at the beach...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

More Mario Odyssey footage to make me feel like a giddy kid. Quite smitten with Project Octopath Traveler (working title, thankfully) after what they showed today.

And yeah... Lyn in FE Warriors!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't generally care for platformers, so Mario Odyssey would usually not interest me at all. Also didn't really got on with Mario the last time I gave it a try. Yet even against all that, Odyssey is really pulling me in. It just keeps throwing really strange and amusing stuff out there. It's very hard not to love what they're doing with that game. You can play as the letter M!

Doom on the Switch is kind of hilarious. I almost want to pick it up just for the sake of it. It'll be very interesting to see how it performs too. I would have assumed the Switch wouldn't be capable of running something that looks like that, especially not at 60fps. But at the same time, that game has some pretty impressive technical wizardry going on, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually turns out really well, although still impressed.

Also happy to see more Splatoon content. The game has been starting to really need some more maps, so adding in two at once is great.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Octopath demo is lovely. Beautiful art style and pretty sexy music.

New ARMS character Lola Pop is fun, I just won a ranked match with her. The kinda yo-yo nunchuk weapon is class. Good to get back into some ARMS.

I'll be getting Doom whatever it's like because I want more ports. I'll play anything on the Switch but can't be bothered any more with the PS4.

Am I going to get NBA 2K18? Hnnngh.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I watched it last night and enjoyed it.

Didn't get what I was personally wishing for, no Yoshi 2018, no streaming apps or system improvements but I'm sure it will all come in time and like I say, I enjoyed it.

Doom and Wolfie 2 coming out is a shock if I'm honest. I didn't even consider the Switch being able to run them, let alone be released so soon.

I'm looking forward to these Arcade Originals too, that's something I'm excited to see.

More Snipperclips is always a good thing :lol: .

Xenoblade, I found very random. The whole presentation I though was odd. Not my kind of thing at all, gameplay wise but was willing to give it a whirl but that presentation has put me off a bit. Good looking Special Edition and Pro Controller mind.

Mario looks fantastic, I was cautious about seeing too much but I think it was ok spoiler wise. It looks like it's had a long time in the oven and has some interesting features too, that will make it seem more than just the next Mario platformer.

The future looks bright I think for Nintendo's fledgling system just six months in :) .
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: September 14th, 2017, 7:18 pm The future looks bright I think for Nintendo's fledgling system just six months in :) .
Aye.

Also jumped on the Octopath demo and Lola Pop (wait... that sounds a bit wrong).
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Can't wait for DOOM. Want to buy it day one but the £50 digital price tag I read about is a bit evil...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Bloody Swicth Tax.

It is a bit of wee wee take.

One can only hope that once the first year has ticked by and Dev’s start thinking about Swicth versions more in tandem with other platform release windows will shorten and prices come closer together.

Loved Doom but I liked it loud, massive and on my 50” TV.

I’ll probably end up getting it mind, to support the platform and to play through it again as it was very much enjoyable and has been a while now.

Multiplayer could be a good laugh too as I skipped that by on the Xbox but a portable MP fast paced shooter in my hands sounds cool.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

While Doom being on Switch is pretty cool, if you have a PS4 or XBO you really should be playing it there because:

1) 60fps, 1080p
2) you can find it for £10 pretty much everywhere.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So Snes Mini is due on Thursday. Anyone received any news on theirs?. I preordered mine from Argos at the end of June and they took the money at the time. On the order notes it still says ''sit tight order is in progress''
James

Post by James »

Are you sitting tightly, just in case it makes a difference? ;-)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Got mine coming from Nintendo UK, no movement on anything other than the usual Processing status.

I'll get mine on Friday as per usual.