Videogame Criticism

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame Criticism

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh, me too, for sure.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Anyone got an opinion on Max Payne 3?

Finished the story last night and did not enjoy the game one bit. Terribly boring storytelling, unskippable cinematic overkill, awful controls, predictible gameplay, annoying music, constant unnecessary use of the F-word etc. etc.

Max Payne 1 was and still is one of my favorite games of all time, but Max Payne 3 was horrible in my opinion. None of the charm of the first game or character.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I played it through once on a rental and found it to be pretty mediocre. However, both Darren and Karl played it a lot more and rate it as one of, if not the, best third-person shooter around.

I came to play the original Max Payne one for the show when it was already over a decade old and thought it had aged pretty terribly though.

Podcasts here:
https://caneandrinse.com/max-payne/

https://caneandrinse.com/max-payne-3/
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I enjoyed it a lot at the time, but I suspect it doesn’t hold up to replay much. Better games have appeared since, for sure.

I liked the kinetic typography stuff in it, and the music was pretty good.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Flabyo wrote: October 18th, 2017, 12:27 pm I enjoyed it a lot at the time, but I suspect it doesn’t hold up to replay much. Better games have appeared since, for sure.

I liked the kinetic typography stuff in it, and the music was pretty good.
I hated that flashy word flash thing that came up during the awful unskippable cutscenes. It was just annoying to watch. I felt the game was trying too hard to be gripping, cinematic and cool which it wasn't. It was just a silly action game with a story taken far too seriously. The bus ride section with cutscenes was really stupid (as most of the game was). Storytelling at it's absolute worst.

The graphic novel parts linking together MP 1 were so much better. Well written and often funny dialogue and memorable quotes. MP3 had none of it.

Regarding the music/soundtrack, I did hear one good track on Sound of Play but the music that starts playing during the silly airport chapter at the end was just awful and out of place.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Funny how it divides opinion.

I adore Max Payne 3, have played it through 5 or 6 times.

The gun-play is the most visceral I've seen, with the Euphoria engine giving NPCs realistic animations as you shoot them. The different settings and music throughout the game keep me interested and especially the Brazilian setting in parts of the game I find fascinating.

Plus as a grumpy old alcoholic destroying his liver, I find the character wryly amusing and perhaps somewhat relatable...

It could also be because I'm married to a Brazilian and she finds it amusing when a game is shouting and swearing at me constantly in her native language!

I keep my eye out for a Max Payne 4 from time to time but it doesn't look like that will ever happen sadly as I understand it didn't sell very well at launch. Personally at the time I was very disappointed when Rockstar announced the game as I was hoping for GTA V news, and that was certainly why I didn't pick it up Day 1... I wonder how many other people thought the same.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I enjoyed the quite downbeat tone of Max's story.

You don't see "middle aged" protagonists that often - maybe it was inspiration for GTAV?
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

ThirdDrawing wrote: October 19th, 2017, 6:22 pm I enjoyed the quite downbeat tone of Max's story.

You don't see "middle aged" protagonists that often - maybe it was inspiration for GTAV?
It's interesting how Max Payne 3 seems to be a 'loved it or hated it' kind of game.

Thanks for your opinions anyway. I will have a listen to the podcast episode on my way to work later.

Cheers.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Max Payne 3 is one of my favorite games. Probably my most played third-person shooter outside of Uncharted. I get more into it on the podcast, but, I loved how dirty that game is. Wish they'd spice up a remaster for current gen as it looks incredible on PC, but, I'm aware it didn't perform enough to warrant one.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Sean wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm Max Payne 3 is one of my favorite games. Probably my most played third-person shooter outside of Uncharted. I get more into it on the podcast, but, I loved how dirty that game is. Wish they'd spice up a remaster for current gen as it looks incredible on PC, but, I'm aware it didn't perform enough to warrant one.
The podcast was really good. Listening to it made me appreciate some aspects of the game more than I did before but not enough for me to give the game another chance unfortunately. I think the game would have been better had the gameplay not been interrupted so much with the very long and unskippable cinematics. Also the bullet time/slow mo cams were very annoying to watch for me but I can imagine after doing a tough section on hard mode it brings some satisfaction when taking out the last enemy in the area.

Do the cutscenes and slo-mos still play on New York Minute (the speedrun mode)? If so, it must make playing it extremely frustrating.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great video about the story in FFXV, also the guy who did this video does a series of Final Fantasy reviews starting from 1 and they are all great I highlly recommend it:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Finally!

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

The above is really good. In a sea of shitty nitpicky criticism videos that is youtube, it's a joy to watch something actually breakdown why something didn't work in a meaningful way.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Check out his other MGS Critical Close-ups if you haven't already, then!

Super Bunnyhop, Matthewmatosis and Joseph Anderson all produce some of the best video game criticism related content on YouTube.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Kept us waiting huh, the last critical close-up he did on MGS3 feels like ages ago, I also highly recommed Mathewmatosis hour long review of MGS4 which to me is still the best breakdown of that game.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm already aware of Super Bunnyhop. Only said that because most of his other critical close ups are quite positive. Nice to see a similar level respect from a negative angle.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Another insightful and high quality analysis from Joseph Anderson.
I reckon it might interest some of you who had reservations about the game.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Ughhh... I feel myself vehemently disagreeing with his statements almost as much as I'm agreeing. He gets some stuff wrong about the game too and I also think he thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is, listening to his tone and the way he presents his opinions: "I don't think people realise that the possessions are just another form of power-up suits." Geez.

For the record, I don't feel as positive about Odyssey as previous 3D Mario games myself.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I feel similarly to Michiel about the game and the video.

Our Ryan said similar things about this critique too; that the creator makes some reasonable observations about SMO, but also states his opinions as though they are inarguable facts (pretty much the cardinal sin as far as I am concerned, and something we try very hard to avoid on Cane and Rinse).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, fair enough. Personally, I've liked most of his past analyses a lot and I don't think he means to come across as snobbish.