Beyond Good & Evil

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Beyond Good & Evil

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here is where you can leave your thoughts regarding Beyond Good & Evil for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.
nickturner13

Re: Beyond Good & Evil

Post by nickturner13 »

This was a game I picked up back on the PS2 back in 2004 or 2005.

I don't recall much about why I'd bought it now, although looking back it appears it was on an Official Playstation Magazine Demo disc, so that was probably what what inspired me as I was an avid purchaser and reader of that magazine around that time. Indeed I remember when I moved out of my flat in 2006 I left a cupboard full of several years worth of magazines... would be nice to have them to reminisce over now!

Anyway, I digress...

My memory is somewhat hazy of the game as it's been over 10 years since I last played it, but I wanted to write this without refreshing myself of the game details too much to ensure I comment on my lasting impression of the game in my mind... so apologies if some of these details are not quite correct.

I very much enjoyed this game from the start, as it was something quite different - using a camera to take photographs instead of shooting people with guns was an interesting alternative, and the interaction with your companions through the game always kept me entertained, whether it was your uncle Pey'j, the pig who was a bit of an inventor, or the clumsy guard Double H who you rescue at some point early on.

The only combat is done via a wooden pole, somewhat like the Bo used by Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the combat style is like an early version of the Batman Arkham games, with contextual hits based on enemy locations. I don't recall if there was a block function but I guess there must have been.

BG&E has various sections to it, including stealth-based sections as you sneak around a huge factory, and some boat-racing sections as you avoid capture from the imperial guard-types who are always chasing you. There was also some flying elements and possibly space is involved, although I don't quite recall. Plus of course using the camera to take photographs of the wildlife on the planet. The way the gameplay was always mixing it up kept you engrossed in proceedings.

A special nod has to go to the sound design of the game, especially the music... the song "Propaganda" which plays in a bar in one of the main towns has stayed firmly lodged in my brain ever since, and it sums up the feeling in the game in places, the innocent citizens of Hyllis are being exploited by not only these guards, but also the aliens who own the factory, who I think were treating the citizens in much the same way humans are treated in the Matrix movies, being harvested for resource.

The cartoon-like style of the graphics were quite unique, and it is certainly a game that has remained very fondly in my memories. The locations, characters, sound, and even the user interface, with a spiraling keyboard that rotated with your thumbstick, was a pleasure to use and not something I've seen since.

There are even at least one real tearjerker moments in the game which really hit me back then, if you've not played it then I don't want to spoil it any further!

If I look back to that time period and think about other games that I thought of at the time as being a really solid, enjoyable game, I recall the name of a game called Second Sight. But the difference between that and BG&E is that I couldn't tell you very much at all about Second Sight right now without reading about it... so that is a testament to the character, sound, and world-building present in BG&E.

Although it's been at least 10 years. Beyond Good And Evil still has a special place in my heart and I've been keeping an eye out for the long-awaited sequel for many years. I was somewhat disappointed to see the recent trailer from E3 as it seems to contain none of the characters, settings, or charm of the original, but I will no doubt pick it up at some point and give it a chance. It does though seem a massive shame not to continue the adventures of Jade & co.
Todinho

Re: Our next-but-one podcast recording (28.10.17): Beyond Good & Evil

Post by Todinho »

Kinda shocked more people havent sent in contributions but I guess it goes to show that being a cult classic means that alot of people havent played it. Like Nick my memories of the game are abit fuzzy,though I played it more recently whenever the HD version came out, so forgive any innacuracies or rose tinted glasses here.

Beyond Good¨&Evil is the kinda of game I immediatly associate with the PS2 era, it's the kind of action adventure games that still retained alot of the DNA from the mascot plataformers of the 90s, and at the time it was released that was the type of game I was all about, so I played it, really enjoyed it and waited for the sequel that was never to come.

Gameplaywise what made Beyond Good&Evil stand out from similar games at the time was the photography element and in fact the most fun I had in the game was taking pictures, hunting down all the fauna for photos was something that became really addicting and I remember going out of my way to photograph every single animal before the end of the game, other then that I really enjoyed the stealth sections, they fit really well with the journalist theme and it was really funny to kick the soldiers in the back and send them flying.
Other then that the combat and puzzle solving were very by the numbers but I did enjoy the additions of your companions through the levels that helped mix things up, I also liked driving around in the hovercraft but I distinctly rememeber hating the races you had to do at times.

When it comes to story I really cant say I remember much, I know the game was about uncovering a goverment conspiracy, that there was a war with Aliens and you had to rescue your pig companion Pey'j from them. Other then that though It's a complete blank, what I do remember the world though and how unique it was with it's animal people, political propaganda and Aliens raining from the sky. The characters are also a big highlight, Jade is often lauded as one of gaming more unique protagonists and for good reason but the supporting characters are also very good especially your companions and comic reliefs Pey'j and Double H they bring not only humor to the story but alot of heart as well.

Beyond Good&Evil might not have set the world on fire when it came out but it certainlly became a marker of interesting games of that time and of a type of game we really dont have anymore, that's why I said above I've been waiting for a sequel that will never come because even with the annoucement of Beyond Good&Evil 2 whatever that game is it wont be the type of game the original was, it wont be the same kind of experience, the best I hope for is that whatever Michel ancel and Ubisoft are cooking up honors the original game having some unique ideas of it's own and maybe include photography I would very much like that XD.
James

Re: Our next-but-one podcast recording (28.10.17): Beyond Good & Evil

Post by James »

Thanks both for the posts. Expect to hear your views included, gratefully. We're about to record now, and I'm looking forward to the discussion immensely. :-)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I've played this, but it was so long ago I didn't think I could write anything that was "true" to my experience. Sorry.
James

Post by James »

It's definitely tough. I don't think I would've remembered the game well enough if I hadn't replayed it for the show. I wasn't alone amongst the podcast crew in that fact.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m soooo behind on my games.

I was planning on playing this through for the first time and hopefully adding something useful to the discussion separate to any possible nostalgia goblins getting in the way.

I’ve started this and was all set up for a big run though - bloody Mario and Stardew Valley has ruined this (timewise).