Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Mega Man 11 coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC & Switch next year:

What's more, all eight Mega Man X games are also on their way:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/12 ... 4-in-2018/

I've never played any of the X titles, despite having heard so many good things about them. Really looking forward to this!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Not just PS4 - Xbox One, PC and Switch too. And both Megaman legacy collections for Switch!

That’s a lot of Megamen.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 5th, 2017, 9:31 am Mega Man 11 coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC & Switch next year:

What's more, all eight Mega Man X games are also on their way:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/12 ... 4-in-2018/

I've never played any of the X titles, despite having heard so many good things about them. Really looking forward to this!
I've seen many people knock the look of the new Mega man saying it looks like Mighty number 9 and I completelly disagree, just look at the style and the little animation in the face of the enemies it's like they took that 2D anime aesthetic they had going in later games and made a 3D version of that I think it looks pretty good a few things aside and it definetly looks better then Mighty number 9.

What really has me excited though is the Megamen X collection, it's about damn time! X1 is one of my favorite games of all time and it's an amazing plataformer and the only game that surpassed on that arena is Shovel Knight in my book, I emulated the first 3 games and while X2 and X3 are good X1 is still best in class, I never did play the PS1 era games though and alot of people swear that X4 is the best in the series, unfortunally from what I've seen the later games go off the rails...
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hopefully it’ll be a single X collection - right now they’re saying they’ll all be available so it’s possible they’ll all be just separate releases which would be a shame.

I loved X arriving to it way late to the party, but haven’t tried the others. From what I’ve seen they seem to go even more into the story which wasn’t an addition I was thrilled with in X. Coming from a series with a robot shaped like a train and a man with a spinning top for a head, I don’t care about the underlying melodrama.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

A great video by yongyea talking about how a young man had his life nearlly ruined by lootboxes and microtransactions, this should come as a reminder that opposition to lootboxes should be first and foremost a moral one:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Time to confess. FIFA 18 was my first ever FIFA purchase. I spent a good fifty or sixty quid in the first month on FUT stuff then deleted the game because I started to worry myself. I'm not a gambler but I did once gamble a few hundred quid online when pissed, and won. I got the fear massively and self-excluded for the maximum time from every gambling site I could think of. I never wrote this anywhere else or told anyone because I just decided to deal with it and fortunately I did but I'll never get into that lootbox shit again.

The worst part is that if the rewards weren't so absolutely terrible, and if I could have packed my team with quality players, rather than inferior duplicates, I might well have got in deeper. At least I know for sure though that I'm not cut out for a casual flutter. Just the wrong type of personality.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I get what you mean, I just stay clear from mobile games and game with microtransactions in general so my first real encounter with this type of system was with Overwatch and I remember being really frustated I couldnt get some skin in a event, I dont even remember which one now, so I thought "Hey I'll just buy some lootboxes, and to ensure I get it I'll just buy 50" there was some problem and the purchase didnt go through thankfully because that gave me time to slap myself and go "WTF am I doing!?" havent played the game since. A reality where most of AAA games turn into that is very concerning.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think we will see microtransactions play a large part in triple A games in the future. I genuinely think it's publishers testing the water, seeing what they can get away with, and once it proves not to be a huge revenue stream they'll slowly go away.

Unless, of course, it proves to be a huge revenue stream. In which case, gamers only have themselves to blame.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thing is that it is a huge revenue stream. Not to do the well worn loot box thing again but I'd never go into a betting shop and I've had to self exclude so I'm not tempted to bet but I still trickled sixty quid on non-existent squad players in FIFA without really taking stock. Yes, I have to have some personal responsibility there but it's very dangerous and effectively encourages and provides a backdoor to gambling. There's some pretty sophisticated and very effective psychological manipulation going on with this stuff. I personally think we should be protecting people from it, and especially kids. Incidentally, I think the mass integration and normalisation of gambling and online betting is really really damaging to our society.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: December 6th, 2017, 6:02 pm I personally think we should be protecting people from it, and especially kids.
Very true. It's easy to underestimate how mentally vulnerable children are when it comes to any type of potential addiction. It's not like most adults are paragons of discipline and willpower, but still.
Stanshall wrote: December 6th, 2017, 6:02 pm Incidentally, I think the mass integration and normalisation of gambling and online betting is really really damaging to our society.
I concur 100%.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The video I shared here is really emblematic of that, this guy who spent over 10 thousand dollars on lootboxes started playing these types of game when he was 13 and Im sure there are even younger kids playing these types of games and this kinda of thing can really fuck you up.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Much as I hate to be ‘that guy’, but I get the feeling this one needs its own thread given we keep coming back to it?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

To keep in current, on the lead-up to Christmas, seeing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 heavily advertised on TV towards families and children feels... super seedy. While I personally won't be touching that game with a 10-foot-poll, seeing it pushed out into the colourful Christmas scene with no issues raised or concerns met, ugh... the power of Stars Wars huh?
Joshihatsumitsu

Now for something completely different...

This one is for the Cage-heads out there (and I don't mean Nicolas Cage - those are "Cage-juns"), if you thought Indigo Prophesy and Heavy Rain were too realistic, prepare for this hilariously alarmist article regarding the very "realistic" upcoming David Cage opus: Detroit.

And yes, I do live in a dumb country. I hear New Zealand is nice - I'd recommend holidaying there instead. :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

"Adult themes?! In these newfangled virtual toys?! Outrageous, I say!"

I mean, I'm not exactly a big fan of Cage's heavy-handed approach to storytelling, but some people simply can't grasp the concept that video games aren't exclusively a children's medium. They can, and should not be afraid to tackle important and/or adult themes. Of course, that also means that not every game will automatically be suited for everyone. The magic solution to all this is called proper parenting and making informed purchasing decisions. If lazy parents are putting Heavy Rain or Gears of War into their kids' hands, it's hardly the fault of the games themselves.

The good news is that this whole issue is mostly a generational conflict which means it will sooner or later sort itself out.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 6th, 2017, 9:53 pm To keep in current, on the lead-up to Christmas, seeing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 heavily advertised on TV towards families and children feels... super seedy. While I personally won't be touching that game with a 10-foot-poll, seeing it pushed out into the colourful Christmas scene with no issues raised or concerns met, ugh... the power of Stars Wars huh?
They completely removed all that stuff after the backlash didn't they? Makes it a bit easier to digest I guess
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 6th, 2017, 10:07 pm Now for something completely different...

This one is for the Cage-heads out there (and I don't mean Nicolas Cage - those are "Cage-juns"), if you thought Indigo Prophesy and Heavy Rain were too realistic, prepare for this hilariously alarmist article regarding the very "realistic" upcoming David Cage opus: Detroit.

And yes, I do live in a dumb country. I hear New Zealand is nice - I'd recommend holidaying there instead. :D
Turnbull: "The ABC is too left leaning!"

*Very quickly guts the ABC so that it relies on clickbait bullshit and mandated "other sides" stories to stay afloat*

Fucking Hack on triple j is the worst and that it actually gets treated as legitimate discourse by a young and impressionable youth actually taking an interest in politics and how it affects them makes so angry.
Joshihatsumitsu

Whippledip wrote: December 7th, 2017, 1:32 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 6th, 2017, 9:53 pm To keep in current, on the lead-up to Christmas, seeing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 heavily advertised on TV towards families and children feels... super seedy. While I personally won't be touching that game with a 10-foot-poll, seeing it pushed out into the colourful Christmas scene with no issues raised or concerns met, ugh... the power of Stars Wars huh?
They completely removed all that stuff after the backlash didn't they? Makes it a bit easier to digest I guess
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 6th, 2017, 10:07 pm Now for something completely different...

Turnbull: "The ABC is too left leaning!"

*Very quickly guts the ABC so that it relies on clickbait bullshit and mandated "other sides" stories to stay afloat*

Fucking Hack on triple j is the worst and that it actually gets treated as legitimate discourse by a young and impressionable youth actually taking an interest in politics and how it affects them makes so angry.
Did they permanently remove loot boxes, or just temporarily until things died down? I'll confess I'm half paying attention to all the latest news at the moment.

Oh Hack... Hack by name, Hack by nature.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: December 6th, 2017, 8:47 pm Much as I hate to be ‘that guy’, but I get the feeling this one needs its own thread given we keep coming back to it?
Good idea.

http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2005
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Finally!

I don't know who or what that is, but I want it. NOW.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Soul Calibur 6! And they've gone back to a point in the timeline that means my main exists as she should, not as some weird Angel Templar thing! (seriously, 5 went to some odd places)