Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Whippledip

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Whippledip »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 14th, 2017, 10:07 pm
ADumican83 wrote: November 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm ISS/Pro Evolution Soccer. Any chance at all of those getting covered at some point?
So obviously we've already looked back at some of the older footy franchises in one show, but tackling FIFA and/or ISS/Winning Eleven/PES in one show would be a massive task, while doing multiple shows about the series' would almost certainly lose us listeners! So we're still thinking about how to approach these but we have some massive football (and footy game) fans on the squad so we are keen.

We'll only schedule them when we've found a way to do the subject(s) justice though.
What about weirdo sports games that don't have much of an audience beyond their home country? Stuff like MLB: The Show or AFL Evolution. Might be a good way to approach a sports game mechanically because you don't have a real personal stake in how the game should play
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Mutant League Football on the Sega Megadrive! (not a serious suggestion, just a reply to Whippledip's post, but a game I loved at the time nonetheless!)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Whippledip wrote: November 15th, 2017, 12:10 am What about weirdo sports games that don't have much of an audience beyond their home country? Stuff like MLB: The Show or AFL Evolution. Might be a good way to approach a sports game mechanically because you don't have a real personal stake in how the game should play
International Handball! :D

I play MLB The Show and it'd be a big ask to do it justice from this side of the pond, given the technical (sports) knowledge that you'd need to assemble for the podcast.

I'd love to hear a sports-game-based show or two though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I imagine it’d be hard to find the right guests to do sports games. Soccer is relatively easy, I know several regulars are fans of the sport (remember the football manager episode?).

It’d be harder for, say, ice hockey. When you’re doing a sports game you really do need people that are deep into that sport for the proper depth. I could tell you what I think of EA’s NHL games as games, but not anything about how well they actually translate the NHL itself.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve not looked through all 60+ pages of previous suggestions so apologies for duplicates. My suggestions are:

Timesplitters
Bio shock infinite
Hit man (episodic release)
Walking dead season 2
What remains of Edith finch
Oxenfree
Inside
Virginia
Shadow of memories
Danganronpa series
Virtues last reward
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All on the list already, you’ll be glad to hear.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

All of them? Wow. Is there a post with the long list on as I’d be intrigued to know what’s been suggested so far?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The long list has been running since 2011 and contains over 1550 suggestions from the team and the community, so it's quite hard to hit upon a game or series that no-one's thought of.

We keep it between us and our potential guests though, sorry!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: November 28th, 2017, 1:36 pm Is there a post with the long list on as I’d be intrigued to know what’s been suggested so far?
You can use this thread's search function if you're curious about a specific title. It usually works. But it's safe to assume that all the obvious ones have been mentioned already.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Don’t let that stop you suggesting things though. Sure they already have most things, but sometimes even a really obvious one will slip through the cracks...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, what Flabyo said.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

1550 suggestions! Crikey I don’t think I know that many games let alone that many good ones. So if there’s one podcast a week then that’s the next 30 years sorted...provided there’s no more suggestions :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, I just thought of one: Ninja Blade.

The game is kind of trash, but I thought it might provide an interesting counterpart to all the character action heavyweights you've covered this year. Exploring the intricacies of what exactly makes this title pale in comparison to others should provide some interesting discussion material, especially with genre enthusiasts like Michiel on board. Plus, it's from FROM Software! That should add some fuel to the fire in and of itself.

I mean, Cane and Rinse isn't just for extraordinary games, is it? Surely there's room for mediocre ones as well?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We add every suggestion to the list and every one is considered. Ultimately though we can only make podcasts about the games that people on the team actually want to play and talk about of course.

Ninja Blade has been added to the list.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

I know this is probably totally the wrong place to put this post, but I just wanted to say how eagerly I'm anticipating the Volume Seven list. Looking through the new C&R lineup when it's released is fast becoming a Christmas tradition as beloved as pigs in blankets and circling all the things I want to watch in the bumper edition of the Radio Times (yes, I'm one of those people). :-)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha I thought I was the only one who did that! To be honest it’s the only time I buy the radio times now sadly. I’ve decided I’m going to properly play along this time as previously I’ve been listening after playing wishing I’d been able to air my views. Just played snatcher and blade runner as these were among the few I hadn’t played
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aw, that's really good to hear you guys.

We really look forward to planning and then revealing the year ahead, even though it is a real production number!
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Any news with regards to when the list will be announced? It must be soon, right?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Last year it was Christmas Eve.
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I would like to re-suggest/refresh my suggestion of Phantom Dust for the Pc and Xbox One.

Only because the game received a full reboot, is entirely free to play for PC and Xbox Gamers (even if you don’t have an Xbox Live Gold subscription), and was rebooted by a major publisher who didn’t make a lot of money on it the first time. It’s cross-platform, and you can even pull your save between your PC and Xbox.

It was unique before, but the circumstances by which it exists now are also unique, which is the only reason I post this.

Sorry to duplicate, but everyone has games they wish would be rebooted and KNOW won’t be. I never believed this game would come out again, and it’s a multiplayer game anyone with an Xbox One or Windows can play for free and with anyone else who’s playing. My first night of multiplayer on Xbox I was partnered with a guy on PC and we used voice communication to overcome our enemies. Damn unique.