Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ADumican83

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ADumican83 »

Hunter30 wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:26 pm I know this is probably totally the wrong place to put this post, but I just wanted to say how eagerly I'm anticipating the Volume Seven list. Looking through the new C&R lineup when it's released is fast becoming a Christmas tradition as beloved as pigs in blankets and circling all the things I want to watch in the bumper edition of the Radio Times (yes, I'm one of those people). :-)
Well the Radio Times is out so we're almost there.
James

Post by James »

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I know this is still pretty new by C&R standards but I feel Horizon Zero Dawn really should get its own episode. It has been my GOTY and I think there is much breadth for discussion including the characters, world, gameplay (particularly combat), story and general themes. For me, it is easily the most compelling and distinctive open world game to come out in a long time.
James

Post by James »

Fear not, it is on the big spreadsheet!

We can't, of course, make any promises as to if/when it'll be covered, but we do have a couple of big HZD fans on the team.

There isn't really any hard and fast rule about how soon after release we cover a game, but we rarely cover anything within a year of release, often two. HZD is still new, (and the DLC too), but definitely seems like a game that would be popular for C&R to cover. Anyone else interested in a Horizon: Zero Dawn issue?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm only just starting it but it seems already much better than I assumed, and the story seems quite interesting, too. Absolutely stunning game, even on a standard 1080p telly. As beautiful as anything currently on the One X. Definitely would love an episode.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Great to hear it is on the spreadsheet! Oh, and don't worry, not expecting it next year or anything like that. Just think it would be an interesting title to do down the road. Looking forward to seeing the list for Series 7!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has Papers Please been done? I can't remember listening to it. That would be an interesting one (although if it hasn't already been done, I have no doubt whatsoever it's already on the fabled list!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hasn’t been done, is on list.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That might be a fun one to hold off on until after the movie adaptation is out.

Yes, the movie adaptation.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Flabyo wrote: December 21st, 2017, 8:44 am That might be a fun one to hold off on until after the movie adaptation is out.

What could possibly go wrong? Movie adaptions of games are always amazing... right? :oops:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m actually waiting till the list comes out before I decide what game to play next. I think I’ve got more excitement for this than for my Christmas presents (amazon wish lists have made things very predictable)
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Yeah I'm waiting to see the list before I pick anything (else) up in the sales. I did actually grab Dark Souls 3 at £9.99 on Steam.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: December 21st, 2017, 8:44 am That might be a fun one to hold off on until after the movie adaptation is out.

I mean, I thought you were joking but...

ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Any idea as to when we will see the list?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If all goes to plan, it'll be the morning of New Year’s Eve.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm currently simmering with anticipation.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The more eagle eyed forumites will spot the list slowing unveiling itself as Jay creates each game thread! Some corkers on there no mistake! Can't wait for the full announcement!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Indeed.

Not the way I expected it to be announced :lol: .
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

Alex79uk wrote: December 31st, 2017, 3:30 pm The more eagle eyed forumites will spot the list slowing unveiling itself as Jay creates each game thread! Some corkers on there no mistake! Can't wait for the full announcement!
Gah, what a tease! So tempted to look but I want to wait until the full list is out...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I do have one suggestion, although it's not about any specific game.

I think it's fair to say that the podcast has improved in pretty much every way since its debut, from the tighter editing to the more thorough research and the broader range of perspectives being offered.

I do, however, feel like one aspect has become noticeably worse over time, and that is the way that the community contributions are being integrated into the show.

Listening to some of the earlier episodes, I get the sense that you were much more enthusiastic about the feedback you received back then. Contributions were vividly discussed, the hosts rejoiced when personal stories were being shared and noticeable contributors were often encouraged to join the forum for further exchange. In short, it felt like there was an actual conversational back-and-forth taking place between the CaR team and the audience.

Now, it's not uncommon for posts to be truncated to their bare minimum and personal anecdotes to be left out entirely. Heartfelt contributions are often read in a monotonous voice and quickly followed by a hard cut instead of being used as a jumping point for further discussion. On occasion, contributions are being coldly processed in a way that takes away some of the meaning and intent behind them. It sometimes feels more like a mechanical chore rather than the passionate exchange of viewpoints it could (should?) be.

It is something I've noticed in a lot of contributions, not just my own, so it's not like I have a personal bone to pick or anything.

I suppose that this phenomenon can be partly explained by the fact that you were a lot smaller and still trying to find your feet back then, which means that every new contribution was a big step towards establishing yourselves and building your own community. The recent self-imposed 2 hours limit and the substantial increase in the sheer number of contributions must have played a role as well.

But I think it'd be great if you could try and recapture some of the magic that created this wonderful community in the first place.

Happy New Year everyone!