Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: October 7th, 2017, 7:24 pm Wii stuff...
They are also incredibly easy to hack and get running as emulation machines, if you're that way inclined. N64 works a great, and you can even run GameCube games off a hard drive. I ripped my entire collection years back straight from the disc to the console.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It's the London Gaming Market next Sunday, anyone going ??
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Probably. It tends to be super crowded though so probably not something I’ll spend a long time at.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Me and the Mrs are going to pop in, I’m after a few of the more illusive GameCube titles, so I’m hoping to pick them up there.

I’ll keep an eye out and say hi if I see you :) .
Suits

Post by Suits »

So this is what I picked up from the LGM last week. Mostly impulses, upgrades to current items and a few titles that I want and don't come across very often.

As it opened I did a quick run around the stalls looking for things I was after and surveying the range and price of things.

Price wise, generally things were either what I expected then to be, or more expensive, so there weren't many bargains to be had - for my predetermined agenda anyway.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be as fruitful as I had hoped, although there were decent stalls, lots of games and lots of people.

We left after about an hour and a half, had some food, a few beers, then popped back in again, this time without the wives and a less crowded, frantic hall. My mate and I had a great time having a more leisurely stroll around the stalls, talking to the vendors and taking our time to look at and discuss things.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Nice. I've got all those games too, save for Mario Party 6 and Super Monkey Ball 2.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: November 24th, 2017, 7:43 pm Nice. I've got all those games too, save for Mario Party 6 and Super Monkey Ball 2.
Well, the Mario Party 6 was a freebie with the Spice pad - I can’t actually play it as I don’t have a NTSC console :lol: .

I do have the PAL Big Box version with the Mic though.

Don’t happen to have a Kirby, Fire Emblem & Frogger you fancy shifting do you ?? :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I do have to say I'm one lucky bastard as I do own Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and it had cost me... absolutely nothing. 8-)

I got it as a review copy before its release, back when review copies were, more often than not, the full, complete retail versions, not discs in envelopes or download codes.

And no, I don't want to part with it. No lie, it's one of my dearest beloved Gamecube games and me, my wife and my brother in law all have separate 50+ hour save games on a memory card for it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 24th, 2017, 7:13 pm So this is what I picked up from the LGM last week.
Big thumbs up from me. That little pile alone represents dozens of hours of pure gaming bliss. This is some fantastic stuff you've picked up for yourself there. Glad to see someone care enough about this sort of things. Will you let us know what you think of F-Zero GX if you get around to play it?
Michiel K wrote: November 24th, 2017, 8:50 pm No lie, it's one of my dearest beloved Gamecube games and me, my wife and my brother in law all have separate 50+ hour save games on a memory card for it.
My man.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 24th, 2017, 9:36 pm Will you let us know what you think of F-Zero GX if you get around to play it?
Yeah man, for sure. I’m planning on playing Odama, F-Zero, Paper Mario and Tales all next week. Really looking forward to sitting down with those for a few hours. Paper Mario I had a hate/hate affair with it when it first came out, so I’m prepared and have a healthy appetite for it this time round. The others I’ve played enough or more recently.

Having skipped the GameCube somewhat when it was first released, I’m thouroughly enjoying going back through its catalogue playing games I’ve never even seen and collecting for it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: November 24th, 2017, 8:50 pm And no, I don't want to part with it.
Totally understandable man, I’d never encourage anyone to part with something that has such a rich past and personal link too. Great little story behind it.

That’s a £100+ game over here in the UK.

One of the vendors at LGM had a copy for £140 and it wasn’t the best, plus the guy was a bit rude, so I’d prefer not to buy it from them.

I’ll get it though, just gotta be patient :) .
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 25th, 2017, 10:02 am Having skipped the GameCube somewhat when it was first released, I’m thouroughly enjoying going back through its catalogue playing games I’ve never even seen and collecting for it.
I can tell! The GameCube was my first real home console and its catalogue was in large part responsible for shaping my gaming tastes and interests. I'm a bit sad to see it fade out of popular consciousness on account of so few of its flagship titles having been ported onto later hardware, so these little bargain hunting updates of yours are greatly appreciated.

I hope you can find Path of Radiance for a decent price someday. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 25th, 2017, 10:25 am The GameCube was my first real home console and its catalogue was in large part responsible for shaping my gaming tastes and interests. I'm a bit sad to see it fade out of popular consciousness on account of so few of its flagship titles having been ported onto later hardware, so these little bargain hunting updates of yours are greatly appreciated.
The GameCube landed at a confusing time for me, I’d just turned 20, was still playing football twice a week, skating most days and what gaming I did do, was spent playing Pro or Tony Hawk 2 on the PS2.

The GameCube we had was used mainly for Worms and Tiger 2004. Everything else was PS2.

Then the Xbox 360 came out and full focus went into that, which felt like an incredible jump forward at the time.

So yeah, the appreciation for the system was there, just not the time. Or what perhaps felt like at the time, lack of serious, ‘Grown Up’ games.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 25th, 2017, 11:45 am Then the Xbox 360 came out and full focus went into that, which felt like an incredible jump forward at the time.

So yeah, the appreciation for the system was there, just not the time. Or what perhaps felt like at the time, lack of serious, ‘Grown Up’ games.
Yeah, the launch of the Xbox 360 did feel like a really significant step forward for the medium, thanks to its mainstream implementation of online gaming. It's easy to take this kind of stuff for granted now, but seeing your entire friends list playing Halo 3 when booting up the console felt so... futuristic. Or maybe I was just easily impressed!

Funny you should say that about the GameCube's reputation as a kid's console, because it was actually its fantastic Resident Evil lineup that instantly made me a fan. The aesthetics and the marketing campaign didn't help, but even then I felt like that reputation was unwarranted. But then again, I was a bit of a late adopter to begin with.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 25th, 2017, 12:08 pm Yeah, the launch of the Xbox 360 did feel like a really significant step forward for the medium, thanks to its mainstream implementation of online gaming.
Gotta be honest, as silly as it might sound, it was things like wireless pads and a dashboard that made the console stand up for me over the older ones.

I didn’t actually get online until the following year after launch, as my ISP at the time (AOL) didn’t allow the Xbox to get online :lol: .

Then, as soon as I plugged it into a 720i screen and booted up Oblivion - that was it for me. I was blown away.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 25th, 2017, 12:50 pm Gotta be honest, as silly as it might sound, it was things like wireless pads and a dashboard that made the console stand up for me over the older ones.
That's a good point - Remember the original 360 dashboard with the blades?

This stuff was next-gen! Looks so silly now...
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 25th, 2017, 1:34 pm That's a good point - Remember the original 360 dashboard with the blades?

This stuff was next-gen! Looks so silly now...
I think, that was the best Xbox dashboard there has been.

Clear, clean and made a great swoosh sound :lol: .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Inevitably I added to my game collection and the GameCube games I'll be playing over the festive period.

Generally they were all surprises, although there were a few calculated additions that I'd had my eye on for a while.

This was the GameCube raft of titles that family from all over the country had collected for me from various CEX stores, through the guidance of my wife and her ability to know what I needed.

Again, it cannot be ignored the worldie that KSubZero pulled out the bag with getting me Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance for the secret Santa we did - it still blows me over.

Having a 7 month old baby boy has really made doing what you want when you over Christmas trickier than even I was expecting, so as life slips back into the normality that I have slightly gotten used to I will begin to get back to playing all these. More some than others.

That said, we're in the process of buying a house at the moment too, so God knows what will happen in the next coming months, at least I'll get an office again.

My Wife also surprised me with this, mainly because she's a fan of the box art - to which I think you can understand. I don't actually have a NTSC N64 and don't really have a desire to pick one up like I have with other consoles, so this is simply a shelf item but is a great gift that I thoroughly enjoyed opening.

Then we have a bit of an oddity that turned up.

I bought a bundle of games a while ago which were going cheap, I needed a few but had more than what I needed. Due to the price and the value of even the cases I picked them up.

In the bundle was listed Star Wars Rebel Strike (Rouge Squadron 3) I already had this but Star Wars games tend to hold good value and are always worth picking up if you see them cheap and make good trade bait. Upon inspecting it and giving it a clean, I noticed that it wasn't the game but a Limited Edition Promotion version offered by GAME. The spine of the game is actually identical to the main game so I initially skipped over it. It was in a regular DVD case so I swapped it over to an official GameCube spare I had and it went straight into the regular games.

It's not super rare or expensive but is a nice piece to have in my collection and I'm interested to see what build of the game is actually on there - it's also a proper Nintendo Stamped item.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Promo discs like that are usually for review purposes, I’ve got a bunch of PS4 and PS3 ones lying around (although Sony tend to put them in very thin cd jewel cases rather than dvd style boxes).

The fact it’s GAME stamped makes me think it could be a promo sent to store managers, or handed out at one of the GAME preview events (not open to the public, they’re kind of like a mini e3 where publishers present new titles to the people who run GAME stores)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: January 1st, 2018, 1:22 pm Promo discs like that are usually for review purposes, I’ve got a bunch of PS4 and PS3 ones lying around (although Sony tend to put them in very thin cd jewel cases rather than dvd style boxes).

The fact it’s GAME stamped makes me think it could be a promo sent to store managers, or handed out at one of the GAME preview events (not open to the public, they’re kind of like a mini e3 where publishers present new titles to the people who run GAME stores)
I've had a quick look about and all that I can really see is that it was a pre-order bonus in the US, that you got when you ordered the game in store. Including things like trailers, a demo of the mission on Hoth and the full emulated original 1983 Star Wars game.

A nice little incentive it seems to drive up Pre-Orders.

I can only assume that the same promotion made its way over here through GAME.

I can remember getting a 'GTA San Andreas' bandanna as a pre-order incentive item if you put £5 down when you pre-ordered :lol: .