DIZZY Returns

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ryan_astley

DIZZY Returns

Post by ryan_astley »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... zy-returns

We're incredibly excited this morning to announce a brand new Kickstarter project from The Oliver Twins: Dizzy Returns! When I was a lad, my gaming life centered around Mario,Sonic but most importantly DIZZY on my C64 :)
Please support this project and spread the word

Roy42

Re: DIZZY Returns

Post by Roy42 »

Reflexive "it'll never be as good as the originals" in spite of having never played the game.

I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

It's a very much "touch the water" test to see if there is enough interest in bringing DIZZY back with a proper new game
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I love Dizzy. I still play the old games, but if they're making a new one I'd much rather proper oldskool 8-bit games. After playing them all on the Amstrad (the greatest home computer ever...) even the Amiga versions seemed too bright and smooth. The iPhone remake of Prince Of The Yolk Folk was a disaster. It just looked like a crappy home brew version of the game and it ran too fast.

So a new Dizzy? In principle yeah I guess I love the little guy, but in practice? They will never capture the magic of the originals.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Magic Land Dizzy is one of my most vivid early memories of playing games on the C64. I'd be tempted.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

Magicland was one of the first I bought for my C64, loved it but found it quite tough. It didn't stop me from seeking out the rest of the games and having all of them for the system. :oops:

For the amount we're asking for, this would be a much higher budget and innovative project. If it doesn't work out then bye bye DIZZY
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I played a lot of the Dizzy games on the Amiga and always remember them being enjoyable, but it's always struck me as something I'd prefer in memory rather than in re-make.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

NokkonWud wrote:I played a lot of the Dizzy games on the Amiga and always remember them being enjoyable, but it's always struck me as something I'd prefer in memory rather than in re-make.
Pretty much what I was about to post.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've only ever dabbled with Dizzy as the 8-bit games weren't ported to Atari 800XL and by the time I had Amiga & Mega Drive I was into other stuff.
However, my girlfriend played on her green screen Amstrad as a child and cutely refers to him as 'Dizzy Egg', which I like.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

God, I loved Dizzy as wee lad. I played most of them including the spin offs like Fast Food Dizzy. I had a giant collection box with the tapes in, ready to go.

Seeing Dizzy drown in Treasure Island is probably why I fear water in videogames, though. Stressed the shit out of me when the music plays with Dizzy upside in the water.

Also, using the cheat to fly around all the screens used to scare me too. You'd pop up underneath a death room which was more horrifying than doom 3.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nostalgia purer than the purest medical heroin!

ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

love that, I'll raise you with this version

SID chip rules! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjooF6MthoA
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:God, I loved Dizzy as wee lad. I played most of them including the spin offs like Fast Food Dizzy. I had a giant collection box with the tapes in, ready to go.

Seeing Dizzy drown in Treasure Island is probably why I fear water in videogames, though. Stressed the shit out of me when the music plays with Dizzy upside in the water.

Also, using the cheat to fly around all the screens used to scare me too. You'd pop up underneath a death room which was more horrifying than doom 3.
YES!!!
typing 'icanfly' for flying and 'loandbehold' which i think made you invinvcible
was the only way I ever managed to complete dizzy on the amiga, I'd always get really far and then die doing something stupid
I can remember the music to this game! gotta go and see if i can find it on youtube :)

I also remember playing dizzy prince of the yolk folk on the amiga too!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ahhh, nostalgia! :)

I also saw a complete walkthrough of how you were supposed to complete the game
do-able in half an hour!
I must have spent weeks trying!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that video I posted of Dizzy 4 was a walk through in about half an hour. Madness, kept me going for years that game did!