Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
DomsBeard wrote: January 11th, 2018, 3:41 pm I will be up for this on Switch if it is around £20
No chance. Well, maybe eventually - but this will launch at 'full price', same as Skyrim.
£59.99 you were not wrong!!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not one to complain about the price of games, I think even when at full price, games are still one of the best value for money entertainment media you can buy. Even so, that's just taking the piss.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

seansthomas wrote: January 11th, 2018, 10:31 pm
Stanshall wrote: January 11th, 2018, 10:05 pm I'm suddenly more enthusiastic about bringing a smaller less well-behaved version of me into the world. Cheers, mate. Never even considered the pregnancy naps!
First six months are magic too. Let the baby kip on you whilst you play games and watch TV. I watched months worth of classic Dr Who... Magic days!
Ha ha I have been playing Mario Kart 8 this afternoon with a 6 week old napping on me :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s hard to swallow £60 for a 7 year old game that’s been available for buttons for many years... but then it’s probably equivalent to about 50p per hour of play of one if the greatest games ever (according to many) so...

While one has to accept that costs of porting and remastering and producing a physical game cartridge were inevitable, it’s tougher to take when the PS4/XO versions will cost half that.

My hunch is that the other versions will quickly drop in price to around £15, while it will be possible to secure the Switch version for nearer £30 to £40 after a month or three.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Surely that price is a placeholder. Loads of the Switch releases were initially priced at 60 quid before the console released and the games were on pre-order.

That said, even if that is the price, it'll fly like shit off a shovel, I'd have thought.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think it would, not for £60. It is, after all, a game that most people buying will have probably already played, and £60 is just a bit much to swallow to play a game twice.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s only showing as £60 on GAME. At ShopTo for example it’s £43.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Is this a game you'd want digitally on Switch so you can play it whenever you like on the go? Probably pay a £15 levy for that, mind...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I just bought myself a wee carry case for up to 24 Switch game cards anyway, so.
:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm Sub £40 at base.com: https://www.base.com/buy/product/dark-s ... -dsrns.htm
That's a very good price, considering it's still 4 months away from release.

Having not played the first game, I'll certainly be paying through face for it when it arrives on Switch.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: January 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm Sub £40 at base.com: https://www.base.com/buy/product/dark-s ... -dsrns.htm
That's a very good price, considering it's still 4 months away from release.

Having not played the first game, I'll certainly be paying through face for it when it arrives on Switch.
Indeed, just ordered that! No idea if the order will process though as my card expires the month beforehand. Will see what happens...

I've ordered from there before apparently. Don't recall when?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Got about ten hours in to Dark Souls 3 so far, and liking it a lot. The cursed tree boss was a pain in the ass, my only sticking point so far, but got him down after about six tries. Unsure where I need to head after defeating him though, I've totally explored the area and can't find a path onwards. I've spoken to the giant archer and we've made friends, too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Do you remember the tower where you first met Siegward? Take the lift down to the lower level and proceed from there. There will be a semi-dangerous enemy waiting for you, so be careful.
Beck

Post by Beck »

The lift that took you up to the archer can only move down and then up but will reset position if you use a bonfire. If you are hitting the lift and it takes you up to the archer then you won't be able to get to the next area without the following trick.

Warp to the nearest bonfire. Get to the tower and hit the switch to take you up, do not hit the switch to go back down. At the top of the tower use a homeward bone to take you back to the shrine. Warping back to the shrine will move the lift back to the middle position. Warp back to the nearest bonfire again and then get back to the lift, when you click the switch this time you will go do rather than up and be able to proceed.

As KSub said, be careful. Man I love Dark Souls 3.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't remember it being that complicated... Can't you just step on the lift to make it go up, but jump off of it immediately and take the lower lift that arrives afterwards?
Beck

Post by Beck »

You're method sounds a hundred times easier than mine! If there is a lever then that will work a treat.

It's worth nothing that if you go up and past the area with the fatties, you can drop down into another tower with some goodies in it. You'll need a couple estus for the fall damage.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been using this strategy since the first Dark Souls. I had no idea this was a controversial topic! :lol:
Beck

Post by Beck »

Haha, saved me a homeward bone ;) thanks 😂😂😂
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Aah thanks guys! Yeah now you mention it, that bumbling fool was on about the lift only being able to go down!

Incidentally, where does this game fit in the Dark Souls time line? I'd assumed it was after, but then the inclusion of the onion Knight (who should be dead?) made me think twice. Also, Firelink Shrine almost seems like its an old version before it became ruins in the first game, so now I'm not sure!