Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
PressEscToExit

Re: Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Post by PressEscToExit »

Out of interest, is anybody playing on a standard PS4 pad and what button configuration do you use? I need to play around for a while to find a configuration I'm comfortable with, I can't seem to get my head around using shoulder buttons in fighting games, particularly on the left side.

I'm thinking maybe I could set V-Skill and V-Trigger to L1 and L2 to limit the finger gymnastics? How are you guys set up?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having played for an hour this evening, I'm sorry to say that this game is not good for my mental health. I don't know what it is but I simply can't translate years of being pretty good at SF4 to anything in this game, and I just don't enjoy it. Gutted, I've tried and tried and tried but every time I go back, I find my blood boiling, which just isn't me, nor good for me.

I don't get it. I love SF2, still. I absolutely adore SF4 and still play that happily but fifty hours on, I just can't get this to click for me.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

PressEscToExit wrote: January 17th, 2018, 7:51 pm Out of interest, is anybody playing on a standard PS4 pad and what button configuration do you use? I need to play around for a while to find a configuration I'm comfortable with, I can't seem to get my head around using shoulder buttons in fighting games, particularly on the left side.

I'm thinking maybe I could set V-Skill and V-Trigger to L1 and L2 to limit the finger gymnastics? How are you guys set up?
I can't be of much help here, sorry to say. I use one of these Saturn pad-styled SFIV fight pads by Madcatz on PC, so everything is mapped to 6 face buttons.

Stanshall, so sorry to hear that. Are you able to identify what the differences with IV are that makes V not click with you?

I find the game very easy to get into. Perhaps a bit too easy, as most people can be a threat in it and the crush counters almost make the combat feel like dice rolls (even though they aren't) at times. All that can be worked around when you find your character and start playing him/her effectively though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think it's probably that I played so so much SF4 Ken, and my go-to tools either don't exist in SFV or have been changed, and I've just not adapted. I know that they've improved it and improved it and I'm happy for anyone who's enjoying it. I'm probably too attached to my old Ken and have too much muscle memory that I feel a kind of cognitive dissonance when my moves don't work in the same way. I basically abused the hell out of the kara throw (moreso as a psychological threat) and had an enormous range of KD mixups and I would just park myself outside sweep range and turn the screws. If I ever got pressed into the corner, I could do that obscene floaty tatsu to basically teleport out of danger and reset. Ex tatsu was godly. I almost never jumped. Step kick was more important to me than some of my family members. I would FADC Ultra through projectiles all day. I felt fluid, free, expressive, punishing, and hard to beat.

In SFV, I feel like I can do a crouching mp, but otherwise it's just rolling the dice round after round. I feel like if I win it's just lucky bullshit. Just no satisfaction. I suppose I know the reasons, as above, I'm just disappointed that I basically have to start again, and I can't commit to that again, because I'm just not enjoying it.

(I know I'm whining here, but just wanted to be frank, even if I'm being unfair and childish!)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

No, that's fair. I asked out of interest.

Unless you're just totally done with the game (and there are plenty of other fighting games to play out, so why not), you could try a completely different character. I personally really like Rashid, for his movement options. He feels free and liberated from the game's systems, as far as his mobility goes.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Rashid is a great shout. Strong options for escaping the corner, great pressure, loads of mix-ups on knockdown, invincible DP, closes distance for free with Spinning Mixer...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

A made a conscious point with IV and then V to choose characters I wouldn't normally use.

Well I used Ken until Guy was released with Super and then Juri and Poison.

When V came out I used Laura for 90% of the time and I want to buy Juri to see how she is.

V is the first game I have not really been able to rely on my knowledge and skill from 2 and 4 which is a good thing and a bad thing and probably why I have gone back to 4 more than 5 in the last year.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks for the advice, guys, and for listening to my big baby bullshit. I always find Rashid quite tricky to play against, he seems very fluid and it seems like he might have the tools I like. I'll give him a whirl.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If you’re interestd in playing Juri in this, get the season pass she’s part of so you actually have some good new characters to play too.

She is pretty poor in this game. And I say that as someone who mained her in 4 and SFxT.
Beck

Post by Beck »

PressEscToExit wrote: January 17th, 2018, 7:51 pm Out of interest, is anybody playing on a standard PS4 pad and what button configuration do you use? I need to play around for a while to find a configuration I'm comfortable with, I can't seem to get my head around using shoulder buttons in fighting games, particularly on the left side.

I have swapped L1 / L2 with R1 / R2 as I find it easier to pull of specials when I can split the combo between my left and right hand. I find it quite difficult to use complicated inputs with the d-pad and left triggers at the same time.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have bought the season 1 and 2 characters today for £20 so I am invested now and onboard.

Had my first fight online in a year and won :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Good stuff. Let's do it big coming Tuesday!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My god they have ruined my Juri :(

Laura still holds up well. Had a close fight that I lost to Ed then had a great fight with a Ryu which I won 2-1.

Noticed a nice "cheat" with Ryu, if you activate v trigger when the opponent is jumping you can go straight into his fireball critical art for a guaranteed hit. Every Ryu I have fought so far has done this
James

Post by James »

Yeah, gotta be wary when certain characters have full meter(s). Cammy can, for instance, punish fireballs with her Critical Art. You can see the change in playstyle of opponents when she has CA on deck. Certain moves are just of limits.

Helps too that Crush Counters and V-Trigger activations are quite generous in the window they allow for follow-up attacks.

I get the impression that Ryu is doing well out of a set of Season 3 changes that looked pretty mediocre on paper.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

OK, I'm up for this. I had a nice bath watching Momochi Ken vids so now I'm convinced I can be the new Momochi. Just got a handful of decent wins against better players so I'm as high as I've ever been in this game (a paltry 1300 or so) and feeling like I can see some improvements ahead if I keep it tight.

I'll be there Tuesday to take my beating like a big baby.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Quick follow up: I've uninstalled the bastard.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well that was quick. May I ask what happened?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

That was in the span of 1 minute, wow!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Put it this way, have you ever read Berserk? When Guts is gradually consumed by the Berserker armour and he needs Schierke to bring him back from the bottomless cosmic abyss of pure malice before it burns his soul inside out...

Without being too dramatic, that's me in ranked mode.

:D
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have HP and HK on r1 and r2. V trigger is L1 and L2 for me