The Shenmue trilogy

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The Shenmue trilogy

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: February 26th, 2018, 8:31 pm I must be a weirdo as it just looks like Shenmue to me?.
I think the idea is that the game doesn't seem to have the level of graphical fidelity that one would expect from today's AAA titles.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well its being made on such a relatively small budget, I wouldn't expect Horizon ZD levels of graphical quality, but I'd also expect a little more progress after a nearly 20 year gap between games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

chase210 wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:48 pm Well its being made on such a relatively small budget, I wouldn't expect Horizon ZD levels of graphical quality, but I'd also expect a little more progress after a nearly 20 year gap between games.
I would be happy with it being on a par with Shenmue 1 and 2 but HD. Changing it too much would be to its detriment I think
Craig

Post by Craig »

Those screenshots look fine to me, if a little lifeless. May be because I don’t have a current gen console other than Switch though.

I think there’s definitely going to be a grinding of expectations though going from ridiculously expensive, tech pushing originals to high end indie budget.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think as long as the backers are happy with what they get it'll be fine.

There's basically zero chance of this pulling in players new to the series unless there's also some kind of re-release of the first two games.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Being a long-time Shenmue fan from from the originals (still own my DC copies!), these look alright to me to be honest!

The faces are a bit of a worry and look a bit dead, but we've seen so little of anything in motion that it's difficult to judge from stills. My guess is they won't be great in the final product either, but then they weren't in the original games! As some have already pointed out this is essentially an indie game so shouldn't really be judged by AAA standards as it's not anywhere near that league in terms of the resources going into it.

I'm honestly not expecting this game to be 'good' by modern standards, but as long as it delivers more Shenume with some updated controls and mechanics, it can't go far wrong in the eyes of the fans.

And anyone thinking it looks 'weird' - that's what Shenmue looks like! The aesthetic was always a slightly odd combo of environments that aimed for photo-realism populated by pretty stylised, often outlandish characters.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: February 28th, 2018, 11:10 am Being a long-time Shenmue fan from from the originals (still own my DC copies!), these look alright to me to be honest!

The faces are a bit of a worry and look a bit dead, but we've seen so little of anything in motion that it's difficult to judge from stills. My guess is they won't be great in the final product either, but then they weren't in the original games! As some have already pointed out this is essentially an indie game so shouldn't really be judged by AAA standards as it's not anywhere near that league in terms of the resources going into it.

I'm honestly not expecting this game to be 'good' by modern standards, but as long as it delivers more Shenume with some updated controls and mechanics, it can't go far wrong in the eyes of the fans.

And anyone thinking it looks 'weird' - that's what Shenmue looks like! The aesthetic was always a slightly odd combo of environments that aimed for photo-realism populated by pretty stylised, often outlandish characters.
That was my point but far more eloquently put! :lol:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Thanks ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I feel the ‘it’s just a low budget indie project’ thing is a bit of a stretch given the amount of publisher money it has. If anything it’s closer to the budget and expectation of, say, Hellblade.

This isn’t Horizon Zero Dawn levels for sure, but there’s more money and man hours going into this than most indie developers have.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It is funny to think at the time it was like the Horizon of its time with the financial investment. I'm sure it will get destroyed on release I just hope it is a great story and great closure and ends with Ryo
Spoiler: show
drop kicking Lan Di in the face
more of this:

It looks naff now but at the time was so tense.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

It's been announced as this year, but no specific date.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I usually wouldn’t ask this question as ordinarily I’m not a fan of emulation but has anyone tried a Dreamcast emulator to play the first game on pc?

I own the sequel on Xbox but never played the original.

I was holding out for the HD remaster but I don’t know if that will appear.

Basically how reliable is it. I don’t want to get deep into the game and find it breaking apart at the seams. I’ve been toying with getting a Dreamcast but can’t justify it.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Simonsloth wrote: March 20th, 2018, 7:30 pm I usually wouldn’t ask this question as ordinarily I’m not a fan of emulation but has anyone tried a Dreamcast emulator to play the first game on pc?

I own the sequel on Xbox but never played the original.

I was holding out for the HD remaster but I don’t know if that will appear.

Basically how reliable is it. I don’t want to get deep into the game and find it breaking apart at the seams. I’ve been toying with getting a Dreamcast but can’t justify it.
If you watch the Digital Foundry film on Shenmue there’s a bit on emulation on there that might steer you in the right direction. I’ve only ever played the games on the Dreamcast so no first hand experience to pass on I’m afraid.

A heads up on Xbox Shenmue 2 though - as far as I’m aware it only contains the English/American dubbed VO and for me the experience hugely benefits from being in the native Japanese with subs ala the DC version. Much more authentic plus the dub is pretty terrible...

Just my personal preference! I know some people love a cheesy dub track!
Craig

Post by Craig »

The cheesy dub track made such an impression in my mind that when I think back to scenes from Shenmue II, despite only playing it on the Dreamcast with Japanese VO and English subtitles, I remember them with awful English voice acting and stilted delivery. The brain is wild.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Well now I don’t need to fight with an emulator! Big Sega announcements.http://www.seganerds.com/2018/04/13/she ... ne-and-pc/
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I know these games have gotten a bit of a bad rap over time, but I'm certainly looking forward to this collection. Very nice to be able to revisit such classics without being forced to buy ridiculously overpriced used Dreamcast copies.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Man that took a long time, considering they mention the HD remasters on the original C&R show nearly 6 years ago!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Would love if they had a physical release of 3 on Dreamcast. I would have to get it!.

Find it strange that it was announced for Xbox One and PC bear in mind it was kickstarted via Sony and Playstation.

Be nice if they announce it is out in two weeks or something.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

From what I can recall it being at the Sony show was done as a favour rather than Sony actually putting any money in themselves.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I own:

Shenmue - NA Release
Shenmue USA - Japanese English release
Shenmue 2 - PAL release for Dreamcast
Shenmue 2 - OG Xbox version

I'll be buying these again for PS4. I am stoked.