Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Dante Fireseed

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Dante Fireseed »

4th January - X-Com 2 (PC)
6th January - Last Day of June (PC)
22nd January - What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
4th February - Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
10th February - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
16th February - Rime (PS4)
3rd March - Watch_Dogs 2 (PC)
8th March - Layers of Fear (PC)
10th March - Superhot (PS4)
12th March - Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) (All golds on driving school and mission challenges)
18th March - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
15th April - Nier Automata (PS4) (all main endings)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Spoiler: show
02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]
31/03: Devious Dungeon [Switch]
31/03: Warp Shift [Switch]
01/04: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [Switch]
02/04: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated [Switch]
09/04: Attack on Titan 2 [Switch]
11/04: The Bunker [Switch]
14/04: Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe [Switch]
16/04: Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut [Switch]

I kept thinking back to Warp Shift, which I beat at the end of March, as I was playing through Slayaway Camp. I tried to impose a warm feeling towards Warp Shift that wasn't really there for one big reason: It was too smart for me, and it seemed to know it, because it would offer to solve a puzzle for me once I'd picked at it for a few minutes. Knowing that I would inevitably become frustrated with it and quit if I didn't accept these solutions, I watched in equal parts consternation and befuddlement as the solution played out. Rarely was I even close to the right solution. I struggled to understand even the basic theory of what individual puzzles wanted me to accomplish, and I could never really determine if I was "close" to solving a puzzle or not because one wrong misstep forced me to restart it from scratch. Rather than feeling like I was working my way through a puzzle, determining each step through reasoned decision making, I felt like I was brute forcing each step: If I try this, will it get me closer to my intended result?

Slayaway Camp is another beast entirely. Though there were a few puzzles that had me stuck for a while, none of them drove me to yield entirely to its machinations and accept an offered answer. A sliding puzzle game where players become the killer in a Slasher film and try to eliminate all of the victims placed strategically around a map, a generous Undo feature gave me a lot more leeway than Warp Shift did to experiment with a move and immediately take it back if it didn't give the desired result. Rather than brute forcing a puzzle, Slayaway Camp felt like I was just looking at what-ifs until I finally found the solution. Where Warp Shift's solutions often felt obtuse and even mystifying to watch unfold, studying a Slayaway Camp map for a few minutes would usually reveal what I needed to do to solve the puzzle, and I could then work towards that solution. I think therein lies the biggest difference between the two puzzle games: In Slayaway Camp, I could recognize the solutions to the puzzle to reach the goal; in Warp Shift, I could not recognize the solutions and could see only the goal. Again, I think this is because Warp Shift is simply too smart for me and I felt obligated to brute force every puzzle to make any progress at all.

But I think the smartest thing Slayaway Camp does is removed the pressure to solve the puzzles quickly and efficiently. Where Warp Shift demanded that I solve a puzzle in the fewest moves possible to reach the highest parts of the tower and the end of the videogame, Slayaway Camp is content to let me make as many moves as I need to do solve the puzzle in addition to a generous undo/rewind feature. It doesn't matter how sloppy or circuitous my route is; if all the people on the map are dead and the goal is reached, then the map is considered just as solved whether it took five moves or fifty. As has been a refrain for me in this thread this year: I appreciated Slayaway Camp because it seemed to reward my effort more than punish my learning curve.

I'm not really a fan of Slasher films so the homages to Friday the 13th and its derivatives didn't do much for me, but nevertheless I find myself saying: This is my favorite puzzle on game on the Switch.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Tekken 7
Feb - Bloodborne
Feb - Fallout Shelter
Feb - Bioshock Remastered
March - Monster Hunter World
March - Bastion
March - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Story)
April - Bioshock 2 Remastered - Still my favourite Bioshock.
April - Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Resurrection DLC. More story than the Last Jedi. This game sets the film up so well, shame the film was so terrible.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

After what seems like a long time, I have finally completed a game.

It was only the 2-hour VR experience known as The Inpatient (PSVR) but I will take it.

The game itself is a prequel to surprise 2015 hit, Until Dawn, and is set in Blackwood Sanitorium in 1952. I was expecting a psychological horror, because I'd forgotten what actually happens in Blackwood Sanitorium in 1952. :shock: There are a few jump scares which were not welcome.

The game itself seems like a missed opportunity, and almost seems like it was originally a much bigger game. The environments are pretty good and there are some massive levels in which nothing much happens. I find it hard to believe they created these huge environments just for you to walk through with no action. The bulk of the gameplay is 'follow the guy', with your choices/game ending being determined through disguised conversational options. They are possibly too disguised, as if I played this game again, I think it might be difficult to recognise where the paths branch and therefore choose the right option. I wasn't too impressed at the time but I read up on some of the other endings when I'd finished and there's impressive breadth there.

Overall, glad I played it but would only recommend if you played and really liked Until Dawn's more 'filmic' aspects.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]

L.A. Noire is a deeply flawed videogame. Team Bondi may be the textbook definitive example of staff abuse and the need for industry unionization, and its no surprise that L.A. Noire put them on the map and also destroyed the studio. The sandbox environment is largely superfluous, put to meaningful use in only one case (of over two dozen) and otherwise serving as padding. The engine struggles to render its own environment; it's quite easy to outstrip the world and drive into an empty void. The final beats of the story lurch towards a rushed conclusion that seems to be assembled piecemeal from the real ending they wanted, shoe-horning in a new player character and treating the real protagonist as incidental in his own story. The ending cutscene of this twenty-hour epic is a couple minutes long, revealing the fates of the conspiracy's major players with a pithy sentence each. The entire Murder Desk arc has a lurid obsession with harming women's bodies. And yet, in spite of all of this, L.A. Noire is a videogame I greatly admire because it tries to be something different in an industry that seems to go out of its way to be the same.

It would be easy to look at the Rockstar pedigree and assume that L.A. Noire is Grand Theft Auto told from the cop's perspective, but it's really anything but. Even the "Streets of LA" sandbox mode refuses to grow into the chaos that typifies GTA's sandbox at its best, feeling listless and barren by comparison. Even though one of the first things I did is a shootout during a bank robbery, this is a perfunctory tutorial, and it was many hours later before I encountered another. L.A. Noire concerns itself more with scrutinizing a crime scene, discovering evidence, and piecing it together to find out whodunnit. This system becomes more and more rote as the videogame drags on and repeated red herrings begin to present themselves--oh look, another matchbook, no need to pick that up--but it's refreshing to see a videogame where a meticulously designed environment is actually meant to be lived in, explored, and appreciated rather than run through between waypoints marking the next set piece.

One thing I always struggled with in the Ace Attorney series was knowing what piece of evidence to present to prove my case. Often I knew that the witness was lying, but I didn't know how the game wanted me to prove they were lying. Evidence procured in crime scenes in L.A. Noire carries an almost identical problem. For my replay of it on Switch, I went for five star ratings on every case, and often had to brute force certain interrogation sequences because the evidence I was expected to present simply didn't prove what the videogame thought it did. But I still admire the interrogation sequences, because unlike Ace Attorney they're not an all-or-nothing proposition. Botching an interrogation doesn't end the videogame, instead it requires you to do a little more legwork to get the information you need. For a fully polygonal sandbox videogame to offer more flexibility in its systems than a visual novel like Ace Attorney is astounding.

And, of course, the interrogations are powered by the famous facial animation system. It's not unusual anymore for well-known actors to take roles in videogames, but it's quite a trip to play L.A. Noire and see it filled with veteran television actors. And it's not just hearing their voices; it's seeing their faces and watching their performance, and it's quite easy to be binging a show on Netflix now and go "oh hey that guy was in that one case in L.A. Noire." So impressive is this animation system that most of its problems actually seem to come from the actor's performances and direction rather than technical glitches or limitation. Oftentimes whether or not I believe a witness is not based on evidence, or on anything I can prove, but on how they behave when they're saying it. Some of the actors are almost cartoonish in the expressions they make when they're behaving evasively or suspiciously, and these are the most entertaining characters to interrogate. Others are downright inscrutable; good luck interviewing Leland Monroe, performed brilliantly by veteran actor John Noble. There does seem to be some rough problems with the direction some actors received that causes their character to not quite fit in with the other actors, likely a result of L.A. Noire's protracted development cycle; Aaron Staton's memetically angry and aggressive outbursts towards the other characters are almost certainly a result of this.

I enjoy L.A. Noire's cases more individually than as a complete set. The Arson Desk, in particular, is quite weak. We are introduced to Biggs, Phelp's newest partner, who is presented as sour and not wanting a partner at all. That characterization evaporates the minute they walk out the door and Biggs almost immediately becomes Phelp's best supporter. This is also where Jack Kelso begins to take center stage, drawing attention away from Cole so he can do investigating that L.A. Noire wants us to believe only he can do, but there's really no reason Cole couldn't be the one doing it. As I said in the intro, the entire Arson Desk feels rushed, as though it was assembled from larger ideas of an ending they did not have the time or the resources to finish. My theory: Aaron Staton was unavailable for performance capture, so Jack Kelso's character was given more prominence and Cole's few scenes in the last few cases were assembled from what he'd already done.

There are still things about L.A. Noire's story I admire. It's ambitious. Many other games would end after the Murder Desk, the moment of the hero's greatest triumph. L.A. Noire continues to show the hero's fall from grace, showing how his own failings as a leader in the Pacific Theater of World War 2 led, unintentionally but nevertheless directly, to the conspiracy he unravels over the course of L.A. Noire. But though the conspiracy is defeated, Cole's real goal of rooting out the corruption in the LAPD goes unanswered. Jack Kelso's frustration at the ending with Roy Moore sharing a meaningful handshake with the new DA is classic Film Noir: Cynical and defeatist; the day is saved, for once, but the system which let it happen remains in place, unhindered and poised to strike again.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Finding Paradise (PC)

This is the follow-up to To The Moon, and I'd forgotten all about it until I saw it on a flash sale last week. It follows the same two doctors as To The Moon, and is very similar in some ways, while being a lot more playful - breaking the fourth wall, lots of in-jokes, amusing 'arcade' sequences.

It also delves a little further into the philosophical questions posed by To The Moon, and expands on them to a large extent. It's a little less weepy than it's predecessor, and more jokey, and ends up being a really good game in its own right. Very deftly done by Freebird Games.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Finished World of Final Fantasy. It was cute, but the fun experienced diminishing returns the longer it went on. Spent way too much time in the post-script. Decent combat and tactics, but I won't be replaying it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Moss (PSVR)

Cutesy platform-puzzler where you guide a mouse on a quest to rescue his uncle from a forbidding castle. This is done by traversing stages which are in the form of gorgeous dioramas using the usual controls for the mouse: jump, dodge, attack etc. The VR aspect comes in as you are also the mouse's guardian angel of sorts, so you loom above each stage and the tiny animal, and you use the motion controller on the DS4 to move blocks, manipulate enemies, heal your mousy companion etc.

The mouse can see you, get impatient if you can't figure out what to do, high five you when you've figured out a tough puzzle, and it's this interactivity that elevates it a little bit as a VR game. It's not much though, and again I'm left thinking that the game would work just as well in non-VR; that there is no real reason for it to be in VR. I think I've been spoiled by some of the super-interactive VR games like Superhot and Statik.

Still, it's a quality addition to the ranks of VR games, so I'll take that. Graphics are the sharpest I've seen in VR, quite amazing really. And it's good fun (reviewers seem to have universally loved it).
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

It's been a deliberately light year (focussing on other projects) but the list so far is:

Jan
  • The Last Guardian
  • Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory
  • Pokémon HeartGold
Feb
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  • Skyrim
  • Pokémon SoulSilver
  • Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory
Mar
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • South Park The Fractured But Whole
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  • Hellblade
Apr
  • God of War III
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Finished Spec Ops: The Line last night. Fun game, for the most part. Interesting story and presentation, but I don't think I had any strong reactions to anything in particular. The game's reputation had me expecting tough choices but the elements that were meant to make me question my choices or actions were all out of my control. Interesting, but didn't change my life.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I felt similarly about it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: April 20th, 2018, 9:43 pm The game's reputation had me expecting tough choices but the elements that were meant to make me question my choices or actions were all out of my control.
Well... You did choose to keep playing, didn't you? That's kind of the point. ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Worth a read if you haven’t already: https://caneandrinse.com/five-years-of- ... -the-line/
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)

Slime-san is going back to those difficult platformers and this one is really good. There are a surprising amount of different mechanics that get introduced even up to the last world of the game. It helps in keeping things varied. All stages have a collectible to get and while most are fairly simple to get on your way through the level, some force you to take extra time and cut things close as every level as a time limit on it. Normally the time limits are very generous. There is a surprising amount of content here between getting all collectibles, the NG+ that remixes the levels, and a small free DLC that is a little side campaign. The only downside is that sometimes on death, the level doesn't properly reset. Most of the time this won't make a difference but sometimes (specifically with one mechanic), it makes the level impossible without another reset. Still worth it.

ReThink uses a very Portal aethetic for its puzzle game. It mostly relies on directing light beams to the correct areas while the correct color but there are a couple other types. The types really don't intermingle which is a shame, instead solving one type generally unlocks something you need for another. The difficulty is also really uneven. Room 10 took me 30 minutes while Rooms 11-20 combined took 30 minutes. Works for a first project in puzzles but nothing that stands out. It is at least good enough for me to check out the sequels that were released for this series.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I never added this to currently playing but I started and finished Max Payne (2001) this weekend on the PC. Never played the game, got a PS2 after it was released so I was interested in the sequel. Had a friend with bad tastes in games who sung it's praises so I didn't trust him. Turns out, he was on the right side of history, because even seventeen years later, with mouse and keyboard controls, it's still a cool game. Stylish, even if the story doesn't hold up. The action was still fun, the bullet time holds up incredibly well. And I appreciated seeing the seeds of Alan Wake that lied within. I'm actually excited to start the next game sooner than later.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]
23/04: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition [Switch]

I read one comment about Rayman Legends: "It's the best Sonic game ever made." I can see what they mean; Rayman Legends is at its best when you're blazing through a level at top speed, ricocheting off walls, blazing through curves, and hopping off the enemy's heads. So much did I enjoy this, in fact, that I actually came to resent the "core" levels which focused on more traditional platforming, traversing a space and finding hidden tokens to unlock later stages and greater rewards. Musical levels that time jumps and attacks to the beat of a popular song (my favorite is a mariachi reimagining of Eye of the Tiger) are Rayman Legends at its best; "Origins" levels, I assume drawn from the earlier Rayman Origins title, are a sharp contrast to these stages, focusing more on precision jumping and trial-and-error. Wavering idiosyncratically between average and brilliant, I love the time trial and musical levels in Rayman Legends so much that it's still one of my favorite platformers of recent years.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I just finished Monument Valley 2, and my problems with the first game are exacerbated by the second. Once again, it's an audiovisual treat on the phone and there's a pleasant casual aspect to the puzzle design. Conceptually it's marvellous - I love the idea of it. But it's just too easy to stumble across the correct path in every puzzle. The main thing I love about puzzle games is when they make you feel clever, even if the puzzle wasn't that hard. Monument Valley - and even moreso with its successor - simply makes me feel like I casually span a wheel a few times to get the right answer. It'd be like a Rubik's cube that most people could solve just by randomly twisting it a dozen times.

Maybe I've just played too many perspective-bending puzzlers at this point, because I don't find it much of a mind-stretch to navigate the Escher-like pathways in this game. I had to do a lot more thinking for The Bridge, for example - though that admittedly injects several more puzzle mechanics. I guess I was just hoping that MV2 would expand on the original in terms of its complexity, but if anything it feels more dumbed-down than ever. I do like where the incredibly vague story appears to be headed, but it's too light a touch to feel enthusiastic about it when the gameplay is extremely light as well.

There is the essence of an all-time favourite mobile game hidden in this series, but that potential just hasn't been unlocked for me sadly.
James

Post by James »

3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1999 Mode]
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 1 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
15th Mar - Actual Sunlight (Android)
18th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One)
19th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One) [Survivor Mode]
21st Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
23rd Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1998 Mode]
26th Mar - BioShock 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
10th Apr - Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (Xbox One)
11th Apr - Blackwood Crossing (Xbox One)
24th Apr - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Xbox One)

Okay, let's be honest; a free weekend dovetailing with Sam Fisher guesting in a bonus mission, there's no way I wasn't going to give Wildlands a try. And so I did. I got myself familiar with the game and trotted off to find Sam. That mission was a bit tough, and required a lot more stealth than most others in the game (a 'no kill' clause is exactly my cup of tea, but I'm not sure Wildlands is really designed for that.)

Anyway, long story cut short, I decided to take Ubisoft up on their (free weekend) price reduction, and carry on playing. I'm pretty glad I did. As expected, there are missions that are definitely tailored to playing cooperatively, and the story lacked a little self-awareness for my liking. But, all-in-all, Wildlands scratched an itch that's been building for some two-and-a-half years since I completed Phantom Pain. That alone was worth the price of entry. :mrgreen:
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

7th Jan - Halo 4 (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Halo 5 (Xbox One)
4th Mar - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
24th Apr - The Inpatient (PS4)

Due to how much I enjoyed Until Dawn I was very keen to play The Inpatient, as it's set in the same world but 60 years prior.

It's an incredibly atmospheric game, and this makes it one of my favourite VR experiences to date. The fact you can actually say out loud your dialogue choices really sucks you into the game, and makes you feel more inside it.

I loved what I played, but it was incredibly short and I was done in two sittings. This and the fact it had a very abrupt ending did disappoint me somewhat, but the after credits scene did make me smile.

I wish it had been longer as what you get doesn't justify the £30 price tag, but if it's ever in a sale at between £10-£15 then it's well worth a go, especially if you're an Until Dawn fan.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Did you get the feeling that there was a bigger game there somewhere, that some of the content must have been cut? Maybe it was a limitation of the technology, but walking through those big spaces (the central courtyard/atrium in particular) and then having all the action happen in tiny corridors felt a bit weird to me.

They could have used more
wendigo :lol:
and the keeping still mechanic from Until Dawn.