The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 8th, 2018, 12:37 pm Does this mean that the GameCube will remain the only Nintendo console whose exclusive titles aren't widely available through digital distribution for the foreseeable future?

Disappointing if so. It's so odd to see N64 and Wii Virtual Console games on the eShop while the GCN ones languish in obscurity. And most people understandably don't want to pay 50+ €/£ for second hand games locked to discontinued hardware.

I can only hope there's a "Best of GCN" line of physical re-releases for the Switch in the pipeline.
This is a huge issue for anyone apart from those selling old GameCube games! For example chibi robo is 90 pounds plus on eBay!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm pretty disappointed with this news about the online service. The only feature that sounds appealing is something we already get for free. The idea that they thought having voice chat through the app sounded like an appealing offer is baffling. I can't see anyone wanting to pay for that. And judging by their statement that they're not doing Virtual Console stuff, that makes it sound like the only way we're going to get access to old games is by paying for this subscription. So games we can't choose, and don't own. Brilliant.

I sincerely hope there's more to this than what they're saying right now. This initial offering is exactly the same as what they announced before. But then they delayed the launch, presumably because of the bad reception it got back then. I thought they were going to come back with a better offer. They had to, surely. But I'm doubtful things will end up looking much better. If they wanted to sell people on this, they would want to put their best foot forward and announce the most appealing stuff first, right? This is the best they've got? And judging by what they are offering, that would presumably rule out the possibility of similar features in an actually appealing form. Like if they were going to do something like proper native voice chat over Bluetooth, they wouldn't be talking about this app stuff.

It may not be a very expensive service, but it really does seem like we're just having crucial stuff taken away here, rather than being given more to justify paying for it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Right, this is clearly a mistake but I've ordered it anyway.

The normal game is £44.99, this edition from Nintendo, is £79.99

Here it is in Argos, for £31.99

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8153557

It may not let you order it but if you add something cheap to your basket as well (I did a £2.99 Lego thing) then it will let you order it.

Worth a go.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

There's going to be a Pokemon game for Switch this year, and its almost certainly being announced this week. How terribly exciting.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

chase210 wrote: May 14th, 2018, 12:59 pm There's going to be a Pokemon game for Switch this year, and its almost certainly being announced this week. How terribly exciting.
I have been sceptical up until now but so many journalists are dropping heavy hints that I can't ignore it.

And I am very, very excited.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't own a Switch, but as an outsider it seems like a decent deal IF the virtual library of games is more of a permanent thing rather than games regularly being added and removed. The initial wave of NES games wouldn't interest me, but I'd be very excited at the prospect of SNES, N64 and (hopefully eventually) GC games coming to the service. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, because however great Nintendo may be, even the most hardcore fan would be hard pushed not to admit they've totally fucked up the online experience on every console so far.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think that’s part of why I’m so cautious about it, most of what seems to be drawing people to it is based on what they *think* it’s eventually going to be, rather than what Nintendo have actually said it *is*.

Either way, they’ve still got plenty of time to sell it to the sceptical.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I wouldn't be surprised to one day see SNES games on the Nintendo Online service, but I think people are going to be hoping for a cold day in hell to see N64 or especially Gamecube games on it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: May 14th, 2018, 9:12 pm I think that’s part of why I’m so cautious about it, most of what seems to be drawing people to it is based on what they *think* it’s eventually going to be, rather than what Nintendo have actually said it *is*.
It’ll cost me £1.50 month to back my Switch up via Nintendo.

It’s currently the only way to do that.

We *know* that for a fact.

Everything else is just an added extra.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

AndrewBrown wrote: May 14th, 2018, 9:40 pm I wouldn't be surprised to one day see SNES games on the Nintendo Online service, but I think people are going to be hoping for a cold day in hell to see N64 or especially Gamecube games on it.
Thats sort of my thinking. NES and SNES in a Netflix style catalogue, and then gamecube, N64, Gameboy, DS, and anything else will be released as just e-shop games.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So, there seem to be rumors of Retro Studios working on a Star Fox racing spin-off.

...Look, Star Fox 64 is a great game. But I don't understand this insistence on trying to turn the series into something it isn't and giving it chance after chance (Adventure, Zero), especially when Nintendo already has an arcade space racing franchise in dire need of attention.

I have faith in Retro, but this seems weird to me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:44 pm So, there seem to be rumors of Retro Studios working on a Star Fox racing spin-off.
Yeah man, they've been working something for some time now, that's for sure.

So you'd expect it to be some way to done by now.

They did do the DKTF port mind, which came out recently but I doubt that was the whole team on that.

Dunno, seems exciting to guess but I do question the whole Star Fox kart racer (ala Diddy Kong Racing) guesses.

Have they said who is doing the new Pokemon game ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: May 15th, 2018, 9:50 am Have they said who is doing the new Pokemon game ??
Unsurprisingly, it seems to be Game Freak again.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 15th, 2018, 10:18 am Unsurprisingly, it seems to be Game Freak again.
Yes, so it would be.

Forgive my Pokemon naivety, it's generally not something I follow.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: May 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm Right, this is clearly a mistake but I've ordered it anyway.

The normal game is £44.99, this edition from Nintendo, is £79.99

Here it is in Argos, for £31.99

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8153557

It may not let you order it but if you add something cheap to your basket as well (I did a £2.99 Lego thing) then it will let you order it.

Worth a go.
Busted. As predicted, Argos just emailed me to say that due to an obvious pricing error this order has been cancelled.

Looks like I'm still getting my Lego today though :lol: .

They gave me a £5 e-voucher to say sorry too.

He who dares....
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It's possible Pokemon Switch titles have leaked, an anonymous user in 4chan claimed that next Pokemon game for Switch will have two versions, and be called Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. Not only does this line up with information we already have, it lines up with merchandising and a possible leaked screenshot.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Eevee is massive in Japan. Was surprised how much merch it had in the Pokemon Centre.

Still not believing anything until I hear it (especially around this time of year) but yeah, I could see it happening.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

chase210 wrote: May 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm It's possible Pokemon Switch titles have leaked, an anonymous user in 4chan claimed that next Pokemon game for Switch will have two versions, and be called Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. Not only does this line up with information we already have, it lines up with merchandising and a possible leaked screenshot.
I have since read that this "leaked" branding started life as a joke on ResetEra, then 4chan got hold of it and ran with it.

However as Craig mentioned Eevee is immensely popular in the Pokemon Centers with their own bespoke merchandise, so it's not such a crazy thought.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well Let's go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee have both been trademarked by the same company that trademarked Sun and Moon!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Is it just me or is the Splatoon 2 single player brilliant?

Full of fun and variety, I feel like I’ve done a fair bit and I’m only on the boss of Sector 2. The last level I did (you can do them in whatever order you find them) was superb, with shades of Sonic & Jet Set Radio with the rail grinding. The twin pistols level is ace too. It’s all been really good fun so far!

So glad I took the gamble on this game having never really got on with the Wii U original. I love the multiplayer now and the single player being this good was basically a bonus. Love it