Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, I think I've got mine as well. I recognize how much I tend to gravitate towards certain series, so I decided to limit myself to one title per franchise in the interest of diversity. Otherwise the upper half of the list would be chock-full of Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, Metroid & Dark Souls. No points for guessing number 1, however.
Spoiler: show
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
3. Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
4. Bloodborne
5. Ninja Gaiden Black

6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. God of War 2
8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
9. F-Zero GX
10. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

11. Golden Sun
12. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
13. Halo 2
14. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
15. Overwatch

16. Bayonetta 2
17. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
18. Burnout Revenge
19. Silent Hill 2
20. Resogun

21. Õkami
22. Valkyria Chronicles 4
23. Vanquish
24. Chrono Trigger
25. The Witness

26. Rocket League
27. Yakuza 0
28. Ikaruga
29. Streets of Rage 4
30. Infinifactory

31. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
32. Flower
33. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
34. Portal
35. Super Mario Galaxy

36. Dead Space 2
37. Fable: The Lost Chapters
38. God Hand
39. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
40. DOOM Eternal

41. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
42. Blue Wish Resurrection Plus
43. The Last of Us Part II
44. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
45. Trials Evolution

46. Professor Layton and the Lost Future
47. Red Dead Redemption 2
48. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
49. Killer7
50. DoDonPachi Resurrection
I don't want to use the words "set in stone", but I'd actually be very surprised to see my top 5 being challenged at any point in the near future. Those games represent to me the very best that the medium has to offer and I love each of them unconditionally.

PS: Coming up with games is the easy part, but actually ranking them is hard. I had to fine-tune the list so many times until I was satisfied with the result.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:27 pm Okay, I think I've got mine as well. I recognize how much I tend to gravitate towards certain series, so I decided to limit myself to one title per franchise in the interest of diversity. Otherwise the upper half of the list would be chock-full of Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, Metroid & Dark Souls. No points for guessing number 1, however.
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
3. Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
4. Bloodborne
5. Ninja Gaiden Black

6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. God of War 2
8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
9. F-Zero GX
10. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

11. Golden Sun
12. Halo 2
13. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
14. Overwatch
15. Bayonetta 2

16. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
17. Burnout Revenge
18. Silent Hill 2
19. Chrono Trigger
20. Õkami

21. Resogun
22. Vanquish
23. The Witness
24. Rocket League
25. Yakuza 0

26. Fable: The Lost Chapters
27. Red Dead Redemption
28. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
29. Flower
30. Portal

31. Super Mario Galaxy
32. Dead Space 2
33. Trials Evolution
34. God Hand
35. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

36. DOOM (2016)
37. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
38. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
39. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
40. Professor Layton and the Lost Future

41. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
42. MadWorld
43. Pokémon Gold
44. The Walking Dead
45. Killer7

46. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
47. BioShock
48. Super Monkey Ball
49. The Last of Us
50. Tetris
I don't want to use the words "set in stone", but I'd actually be very surprised to see my top 5 being challenged at any point in the near future. Those games represent to me the very best that the medium has to offer and I love each of them unconditionally.

PS: Coming up with games is the easy part, but actually ranking them is hard. I had to fine-tune the list so many times until I was satisfied with the result.
I was just about to post mine but 6 of them are metal gear solid games so I’m going to steal your idea and choose one from each series.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:34 pm I was just about to post mine but 6 of them are metal gear solid games so I’m going to steal your idea and choose one from each series.
Yeah, it's more challenging to do it this way on account of having to fill the additional slots, but I think it makes for a more interesting list in the end.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Stanshall wrote: May 18th, 2018, 7:36 pm Sorted chronologically by format.

Now with additional edits!

CPC464
Harrier Attack

BBC Micro
Castle Quest
Repton 3
Codename: Droid
Frak!
Football Manager

CPC6128
Tubaruba
Doors of Doom

NES
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
The Legend of Zelda

Arcade
TMNT: Arcade

Atari ST
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders

Amiga
Champ Manager 93-94
Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge
Sensible World of Soccer
Cannon Fodder

SNES
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter 2

N64
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time

PlayStation
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy VII
Actua Soccer
Wipeout 2097

Wii
Resident Evil 4
Twilight Princess
Excite Truck
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DS
Mario Kart DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

XBox 360
Street Fighter 4

PlayStation 3
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Skyrim
The Last of Us

PlayStation 4
Dark Souls 2: SOFTS
Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
DriveClub

Switch
Breath of the Wild
ARMS
The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2

FB Alpha
Dodonpachi DaiOuJou
Apologies for quoting myself and also changing already. I'm that kind of guy. I couldn't leave off Metroid Prime 3 for the memories I have of playing it while housesitting for my mate in China, waiting for my new visa to come through, gleefully unemployed, playing this in my pants for days, eating amazing noodles from the old lady who had a tiny hole in the wall store downstairs, feeling more free than I may have ever been in my adult life. No expectations from anyone, no need to do anything but see my friends every night and my girlfriend whenever she was in town, deep into the Wii and falling back in love with gaming after missing the whole PS2/GC/XB gen.

I also had to include Phoenix Wright (after reading K's list!) because of how it also takes me back to China. Late night bus rides home from work after a 9pm finish, slipping into that cheerful funny weird little world and falling for the characters. An hour out of the city back to my place in the countryside, no other residents around, walking home past a moonlit river over a little stone bridge, blasting Animal Collective, spicy crawfish and rice for dinner and then back in bed for more Phoenix Wright until I fell asleep with the DS in my hand. An absolutely glorious time. Marvellously lonely in a strange way. I wouldn't swap those times for the world.
Spacefarer

Post by Spacefarer »

Mine is a work-in-progress, on the grounds that there are a bunch of games I want to play that may yet make the list. (Also, I had to resort to the horrors of maths to rank them, otherwise there'd be 49 number 2's. A few surprises, but not ones I'd disagree with!)
  1. Doom II: Hell on Earth
  2. Halo: Combat Evolved
  3. Crash Bandicoot
  4. RollerCoaster Tycoon
  5. The Stanley Parable
  6. Portal
  7. Fallout
  8. Pro Pinball: Timeshock! Ultra Edition
  9. Star Wars: Battlefront II (not that thing EA pooped out recently)
  10. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
  11. Space Invaders
  12. Serious Sam: The First Encounter
  13. N++
  14. Papers, Please
  15. Deus Ex
  16. Halo 3
  17. Serious Sam: BFE
  18. Jazz Jackrabbit 2
  19. Another World
  20. Bejeweled 3
  21. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
  22. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  23. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
  24. Payday 2
  25. Myst
  26. FTL: Advanced Edition
  27. Street Fighter II
  28. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  29. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  30. Half-Life 2
  31. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  32. Doom IV
  33. Tetris
  34. Rayman Oranges
  35. XCOM 2
  36. One Finger Death Punch
  37. Duke Nukem 3D
  38. Shovel Knight
  39. Metal Slug 3
  40. Rogue Legacy
  41. Blood
  42. Baston
  43. Theme Hospital
  44. Magicka
  45. Command and Conquer: Red Alert
  46. Hexcells
  47. Broforce
  48. Age of Empires II
  49. Rogue
  50. Worms Armageddon
Metal Gear Solid's on the backlog. Just as soon as I get a copy, that is. :roll:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Ah, geez. Just discovered this thread...
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Okay, it didn't take me too long. Lots of games I haven't played, still working through a crazy backlog. But these are definitely games I would pick up and play right now. Not ranked, just the order they came to me.
`1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Super Mario World
3. Roller Coaster Tycoon
4. StarCraft
5. Baldur’s Gate
6. Half-Life
7. Civilization IV
8. Bioshock
9. Super Metroid
10. Metal Gear Solid
11. Guitar Hero II
12. Dance Dance Revolution
13. Age of Empires II
14. Super Smash Bros. Melee
15. Burnout 3: Takedown
16. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
17. Shadow of the Colossus
18. Final Fantasy VI
19. Spider-Man (2000)
20. Street Fighter II
21. Donkey Kong Country
22. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
23. Telltale’s The Walking Dead
24. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
25. Mark of the Ninja
26. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
27. Pokémon Red
28. Dynasty Warriors 3
29. Batman: Arkham Asylum
30. X-Men: Legends II
31. Final Fantasy X
32. Medal of Honor: Frontline
33. Super Mario Bros.
34. 007: Goldeneye
35. Onimusha 2: Samurai’s Destiny
36. Alan Wake
37. Limbo
38. Freedom Force
39. Dr. Mario
40. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
41. F-Zero X
42. League of Legends
43. Grand Theft Auto III
44. Xenosaga
45. FTL: Faster Than Light
46. Timesplitters
47. Tomb Raider: Legend
48. Kingdom Hearts
49. Portal
50. Halo: Combat Evolved
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So I've done a top 25. It was quite difficult, and it's interesting how many of the games I always consider to be in my top ten have been pushed outside that! This is just a snapshot of what I'm thinking right now. There will undoubtably be games I'm kicking myself for forgetting, and ones I'd want to swap out for others, but off the top of my head (with a little thought) here is my favourite 25 games of all time:
01 Dark Souls
02 The Witcher 3
03 GTA V
04 Uncharted 4
05 Mass Effect 3
06 Metal Gear Solid 3
07 Final Fantasy VII
08 Bloodborne
09 The Witness
10 Super Mario World
11 Gran Turismo 2
12 Fable 2
13 Rez
14 Gone Home
15 Flashback
16 Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
17 Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge
18 Halo: Combat Evolved
19 Counter-Strike Source
20 Football Director
21 Tai-Pan
22 Cannon Fodder
23 House Of The Dead 2
24 Batman: Arkham Knight
25 Just Cause 2

Somewhere just outside my top 25, honourable mentions go to Guitar Hero 2, Theme Park, Super Mario Kart, Rocket League, Donkey Kong Country and Knights Of The Old Republic...
And I completely forgot about Shadow Of the Colossus, Stardew Valley, Max Payne 3... Man these lists are pointless really aren't they :lol:

"Here are 25 games I remember playing that I really like..."
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: May 19th, 2018, 9:23 am

And I completely forgot about Shadow Of the Colossus, Stardew Valley, Max Payne 3... Man these lists are pointless really aren't they :lol:

"Here are 25 games I remember playing that I really like..."
:lol:

I’ve forgotten Bloodborne, though it’s not a high favourite for me. I was just thinking last night that Mass Effect was underrepresented so I’m glad you’ve addressed that (even if it’s the contrarian view of ME3 :) ).
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I am finding this exceptionally difficult, but rewarding.

Just as a taster, I currently have games on my list of 400 labelled with scores like 9.9779 to try and force a definitive ranking :lol:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

How are you guys able to rank these? I can't do it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, I think the best I’d be able to do is put them into a few ‘tiers’. But actively saying for every game exactly where it is? Not a thing I can do.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Combine Hunter wrote: May 21st, 2018, 3:40 pm How are you guys able to rank these? I can't do it.
If I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's probably because I spend an inordinate amount of time with the games I love. If a game doesn't click with me, I usually abandon it early on and don't think about it again. But if a game does click with me, I'm more than happy to play it to completion, explore every piece of hidden and optional content it has, research it afterwards and replay it from start to finish later on. And that means that I can usually pinpoint what exactly I appreciate about a particular game instead of relying on vague memories of how I felt after playing it all those years ago.

I'd rather play five games a year and give each of them the time and attention that they deserve than rush through thirty different ones and shelf them the moment I see the credits. This methodical approach is also why I hardly post in the "Games Completed" thread like everyone else does.

I can totally imagine how overwhelming this must be for you and others who have to play so many different games for the various podcasts and websites they're involved in. Extensive playtime isn't a luxury you can afford with an "official" backlog looming over you.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:27 pm Okay, I think I've got mine as well.
I only have 3 in common with you, KSub; I knew you wouldn't let me down! :)

Bloodborne is the big one there as your Soul(s) representative, it's a lot lower on my list due to personal preferences (I thought some of the levels were interminable, for example the Woods one, only redeemed by the Shadows boss at the end - and as a non-parryer I was playing the game one-handed, so I prefer the Souls games).

I like Stanshall's list a lot.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm
Combine Hunter wrote: May 21st, 2018, 3:40 pm How are you guys able to rank these? I can't do it.
If I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's probably because I spend an inordinate amount of time with the games I love. If a game doesn't click with me, I usually abandon it early on and don't think about it again. But if a game does click with me, I'm more than happy to play it to completion, explore every piece of hidden and optional content it has, research it afterwards and replay it from start to finish later on. And that means that I can usually pinpoint what exactly I appreciate about a particular game instead of relying on vague memories of how I felt after playing it all those years ago.

I'd rather play five games a year and give each of them the time and attention that they deserve than rush through thirty different ones and shelf them the moment I see the credits. This methodical approach is also why I hardly post in the "Games Completed" thread like everyone else does.

I can totally imagine how overwhelming this must be for you and others who have to play so many different games for the various podcasts and websites they're involved in. Extensive playtime isn't a luxury you can afford with an "official" backlog looming over you.
Nah, that's not really it. I have spent long hours with games I love and replayed many several times. I just mean I don't know how I could definitively say I prefer one game over another, when I love all the games I do for so many different incomparable reasons. Like Flaybo says, I could probably put them into tiers. There are definitely 15 games there that are THE SUPREME ALL-TIMERS and then another 15 that are one tier below that, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which game I preferred over another in that second tier. My reasons for loving Bayonetta are so different from my reasons for loving Red Dead Redemption. You get me?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

We were supposed to RANK THEM?!

Ghost emote.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm I'd rather play five games a year and give each of them the time and attention that they deserve than rush through thirty different ones and shelf them the moment I see the credits. This methodical approach is also why I hardly post in the "Games Completed" thread like everyone else does.
Even if I’d only played five games a year, that would still be a list of over 200 to whittle down. I could probably pick 50, but I wouldn’t easily be able to rank that list beyond ‘these few are at the top and these few are at the bottom’.

I play a lot more games than that though, far more than I post about in the ‘completed’ thread (how do you mark something like Overwatch, or Hearthstone, or Fire Emblem Heroes as completed?).

So yes, picking just 50 from the (at least) 10,000 video games I’ve played is hard enough, without then having to decide impossible things like ‘is Overwatch better than Turrican 2’.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

duskvstweak wrote: May 21st, 2018, 5:21 pm
We were supposed to RANK THEM?!

Ghost emote.
Alphabetical order, all the way
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I might do chronological.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, I took a very pragmatic "Which one would I rather save from a burning building?" approach when the simple evaluation of their design wasn't enough to separate two of the games on my list. It may not be the most scientific process, but it kinda worked out in the end.

Combine Hunter wrote: May 21st, 2018, 5:15 pm You get me?
Actually, I do. It is a rather silly and pointless endeavour, even though I had fun doing it. Do you perhaps find it easier to rank games within the same series or genre, like Bayonetta and DMC3?

Chopper wrote: May 21st, 2018, 4:57 pm I only have 3 in common with you, KSub;
I can see BioShock and RDR, so what's the third one? :)

Bloodborne is fairly close to Dark Souls and (gasp!) Dark Souls 3 for me. With Demon's Souls not very far behind and Dark Souls 2 marking the only significant quality difference in my eyes. Great series all around, means a lot to me.