The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by chase210 »

I have only just discovered that the master sword can be used in Breath of The Wild to cut the legs off guardians and turn them into helpless turtles!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

chase210 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:05 pm Well Let's go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee have both been trademarked by the same company that trademarked Sun and Moon!
Ah OK, I hadn't heard that part! Intriguing. I hope it's not too lightweight, like a Nintendogs for Pokemon, but equally I don't need a new standard Pokemon experience right now either. Just give me a new Pokemon Snap damn it!
Craig

Post by Craig »

There’s rumours of Pokémon Go integration, which would definitely prick a lot of the gaming sphere the wrong way, but again I could see it happening. It’s still making a ton of money especially with folk not usually into games, and Pokémon has always tried to cast a wide net.

I liked Pokémon Go at the start, but got bored after not really having much to do with the Pokémon after I had caught them. If they can make that a bit more engaging on the console version, I’d be into it.

But then I’m also a chump who’s just straight up buy an HD 3D remake of Red and Blue.
Suits

Post by Suits »

chase210 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm I have only just discovered that the master sword can be used in Breath of The Wild to cut the legs off guardians and turn them into helpless turtles!
Ha, I didn’t know that !!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Here's a thing: http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Resi 7 coming to Switch.

Sort of.

It's a streamed only game and only availble in Japan, but it shows Nintendo is clearly exploring the idea of a streaming games service. Maybe?
Craig

Post by Craig »

There's already Phantasy Star Online 2 streaming in Japan on Switch, and previously Dragon Quest X streaming to 3DS (!).

This seems a bit of a different kettle of fish though. A single player experience rather than an RPG, but I'm interested in it from a tech stand point. I'm not a huge fan of renting games (though this pricing model certainly suits an MMO) but for 2000 yen, and a game I probably wouldn't come back to after 180 days, it's not a bad prospect. I won't be making the jump for this one, but if Capcom decide to roll it out for Monster Hunter World I could certainly be tempted.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

hazeredmist wrote: May 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm Is it just me or is the Splatoon 2 single player brilliant?

Full of fun and variety, I feel like I’ve done a fair bit and I’m only on the boss of Sector 2. The last level I did (you can do them in whatever order you find them) was superb, with shades of Sonic & Jet Set Radio with the rail grinding. The twin pistols level is ace too. It’s all been really good fun so far!

So glad I took the gamble on this game having never really got on with the Wii U original. I love the multiplayer now and the single player being this good was basically a bonus. Love it
I think the multiplayer in 2 is a real step up, but I never enjoyed the single player campaign half as much as I did on the original. I honestly regard that original playthrough as being the spiritual successor to Mario Galaxy in terms of control and total joy.

Hoping the expanded DLC inbound returns to that level of brilliance!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

seansthomas wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am
hazeredmist wrote: May 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm Is it just me or is the Splatoon 2 single player brilliant?

Full of fun and variety, I feel like I’ve done a fair bit and I’m only on the boss of Sector 2. The last level I did (you can do them in whatever order you find them) was superb, with shades of Sonic & Jet Set Radio with the rail grinding. The twin pistols level is ace too. It’s all been really good fun so far!

So glad I took the gamble on this game having never really got on with the Wii U original. I love the multiplayer now and the single player being this good was basically a bonus. Love it
I think the multiplayer in 2 is a real step up, but I never enjoyed the single player campaign half as much as I did on the original. I honestly regard that original playthrough as being the spiritual successor to Mario Galaxy in terms of control and total joy.

Interesting - I had Splatoon on Wii U but it didn’t get its hooks into me at all, single player or multiplayer. 2 has been so different, I think the controls finally gelling has helped a lot in my case. It’s a fantastic game and a lot more than it seems at first. If the single player on 1 is in the same league as 2 I regret not putting more time into it! Will definitely want that DLC for when I finish this campaign. Wonder how expensive it’ll be...
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

hazeredmist wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm
seansthomas wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am

Interesting - I had Splatoon on Wii U but it didn’t get its hooks into me at all, single player or multiplayer. 2 has been so different, I think the controls finally gelling has helped a lot in my case. It’s a fantastic game and a lot more than it seems at first. If the single player on 1 is in the same league as 2 I regret not putting more time into it! Will definitely want that DLC for when I finish this campaign. Wonder how expensive it’ll be...
I'm wondering that too. Guessing £15-20? Guess we'll see soon enough!

Looks fun:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _expansion
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

The Mega Man Legacy Collections are out on the Switch eShop today at £11.99 each. I’ve never played a Mega Man game before but wouldn’t mind trying one at that price and seeing how I get on. Which one though? Collection 1 has the first six games, and 2 has games 7-10. Any recommendations on which is the best set for a noob to start with please?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Mega Man 2 is often considered to be one of the highlights of the franchise, although it should be said that the original series can be rather unforgiving and off-putting for newcomers.

On the other hand, the X series is usually viewed as more accessible, with the first one in particular having one of the best designed tutorial level in the medium. The X collection releases next month, so that would be another option to see if the series clicks with you. I'm very much looking forward to that one myself!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also worth checking out the recent C&R on Mega Man and Mega Man 2 (can't remember if any others were mentioned, in fact). I only ever played the first 3 on the NES but haven't revisited in thirty years. I was wondering about this exact same question...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Thanks guys. I will check out those podcasts, and the X collection. I’m veering towards the first collection at the moment!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hmmm, it seems that the Japanese equivalent of My Nintendo is now selling dock-less Switch's with customisable Joy Cons.

It appears to be aimed at people looking for a second console.

Interesting.......
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee confirmed and good gravy, the emotions going on in my household are intensely joyous.

The trailer made me tear up, honestly. It's everything a 10 year old me ever wanted.

In brief: It's a reimagined Pokémon Yellow in modern 3D graphics. It has multiplayer co-op via Joy-Con. It links directly to Pokémon Go so you can import what you catch in the world. You can buy an actual Pokéball and use it as a motion controller to catch Pokémon in game and if you take it out with you and pet it, it makes Pikachu noises.

I need all of it immediately but I have to wait until November.
Suits

Post by Suits »

kintaris wrote: May 30th, 2018, 7:31 am Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee confirmed and good gravy, the emotions going on in my household are intensely joyous.
You did spring to mind when I was watching the video this morning, I must be honest.

I'm not into Pokémon but I have to say, that Poké-Ball controller looks ace, the single JoyCon control scheme looks pretty cool as well though.

Then there's the interaction with your mobile and well, that's one hell of a package.

I'm pleased for fans as this looks very promising, then there's the further tease a more traditional combat based game next year.

As if Switch's weren't selling fast enough already.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

My wife is working abroad right now but we both just dropped everything and called each other to discuss everything that just went down. I'm so glad to have invited this joy into my life just as it exploded commercially :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Like Suits, I'm not really into Pokémon any more, but this does look like a very exciting product for dedicated fans. Is there really another traditional entry around the corner?

In any case, I'm very pleased for Mr. & Mrs. kintaris (and everyone else, obviously!). May it be as great as you hope for! :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 30th, 2018, 8:23 am Is there really another traditional entry around the corner?
Yes mate, second half of 2019 it seems.

Very brief article about it here...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -next-year
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, nice one. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't bought a new Pokémon game in ages. The promise of a full-fledged home console title does sound enticing...