The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 30th, 2018, 8:41 am I haven't bought a new Pokémon game in ages. The promise of a full-fledged home console title does sound enticing...
I put about 20 hours into Pokemon Sun on the 3DS when it came out and while it felt like a proper adventure with a robust, enjoyable battle system.

I just don't appreciate the aesthetic of it - which I'm fairly certain is a big part of its appeal.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm the opposite of excited. I think I might hate it, in fact.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have a substantial Pokebacklog.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Which games do you have waiting to play?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Erm, Yellow / Silver / X / Omega Ruby / Moon / Ultra Sun!
:)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I tend to dip into a Pokemon game every few years to keep up with what they’re doing with the design (work, in other words). But I don’t think I’ve ever completed one.

Seeing quite a mixed response to this one. Some are ‘all Pokemon is good Pokemon’, others are annoyed it’s another ‘casual spinoff’ (as much as I hate the term, I think I get what they mean by that).

I am surprised the free to ‘start’ one is only on Switch when it appears to be a pretty obvious mobile game design.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Flabyo wrote: May 30th, 2018, 1:15 pm
I am surprised the free to ‘start’ one is only on Switch when it appears to be a pretty obvious mobile game design.
I think there’s a 3DS and mobile Pokemon game which is in the same boat. Different gameplay, but similar free to play design.

I’m pumped to Pokémon let’s go. I got bored of Pokémon go as I didn’t really have anything to do with the monsters once I caught them, but this looks like you can battle them in the traditional way, or something resembling it at least. And I’m a sucker for gen 1 love ins.

Can’t get behind folk upset this is a spin off as they’ve littlerally announced a game based on the core series is still coming. I mean sure, this might not be your bag, but just wait a little for the next one which is more like what you’re expecting.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Flabyo wrote: May 30th, 2018, 1:15 pm I tend to dip into a Pokemon game every few years to keep up with what they’re doing with the design (work, in other words). But I don’t think I’ve ever completed one.

Seeing quite a mixed response to this one. Some are ‘all Pokemon is good Pokemon’, others are annoyed it’s another ‘casual spinoff’ (as much as I hate the term, I think I get what they mean by that).

It's coming to iOS and Android, I don't believe there's a release date.

Yeah, it's hard for me to be objective about all this. I know I'll love it but then I've also spent about £50 on a full sized Slowpoke. When I buy this (I will buy this, all of this), I'm not necessarily buying games as much as I'm buying a little piece of happiness that puts the biggest smile on my wife's face. As a typically cynical and curmudgeonly gamer I'm glad I have this one outlet for diehard, unqualified fandom.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 30th, 2018, 11:12 am Erm, Yellow / Silver / X / Omega Ruby / Moon / Ultra Sun!
:)
Feel free to skip Moon if you're gonna play Ultra Sun!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Moon was a present from a loved one. As were most of them in fact!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: February 8th, 2018, 12:35 pm Is anyone else getting the Super Analogue NT ??
A mild curio into the world of hardware replication here.

So, I've had my Super NT plugged into my TV in the front room for over 3 months now and apart from, what I'd describe as an overly sensitive cartridge slot, it's a wonderful piece of kit and has performed admirably so far.

Until recently. I wanted to go back into some Yoshi's Island so went for my NTSC cart and plugged it in. The game would boot past the 'Nintendo presents' screen, then would always crash. Sometimes the game would make it ever so slightly into the intro screen sequence then it would reset the console - taking you straight back to the lovely Analogue boot sequence.

You'd try it again and it would just keep crashing.

Upon much head scratching, firmware updating and cart swapping I concluded that it was the Super FX chip games that were crashing the console.

I checked the Q&A section and troubleshooting on Analogues website and reached out to them on Twitter but neither were fruitful.

I then turned to reddit in the hope that someone would have an idea and after numerous people telling me to clean my carts (my carts are clean yo !) someone pointed out to me that Super FX carts draw more power than standard SNES carts and questioned what my power supply was...

That was it, my Super NT was being powered by my TV's USB 5V supply and the increased draw of the chipset was causing the console to crash/reboot.

I didn't know/forgot that those special carts did this, so it never occurred to me to worry about the supply once the console worked on it's supply initially.

I switched it to it's own mains supply and boom, worked as it should immediately.

I replied to my own Twitter post to Analogue, indicating what the problem was and Analogue thanked it a few hours later, maybe it was news to them also - I doubt it. Would have been nice if they'd acknowledged my original Tweet just as quick mind.

Anyway a post for future reference/troubleshooting perhaps.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The demo for Pokemon Gold from space world 1997 leaked online! Some of the artwork/sprite work is radically different from the final game, really worth taking a look

Suits

Post by Suits »

Word on the street is that GameCube controllers work with Mario Tennis Aces - and feel GOOD.

Sick.

I better dust off my Wii U adapter.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Now that's what I wanna hear! Long live the almighty Cube! :P

Mario Tennis Aces is sneakily shaping up to be one of my most anticipated Switch games.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I played the tennis demo this weekend and wasn’t super impressed. Very complex controls and a bit too much randomness for my taste.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As a committed Nintendo loon, I wasn't massively impressed, either, but it's had great feedback in most places, aside from a bit of lag. It'd be a good game to go in rotation but it's not a patch on ARMS or Splatoon and I'd sooner put more time into them than start afresh with another high skill ceiling game, which seems pretty fiddly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've not tried the demo as it goes, I've already pre-ordered the game though.

I'm in that group of people who are drawn to this by its story mode, the multiplayer does seem interesting but I won't be upset if that's the part of the package that lets this game down.

Got a free Luigi visor and everything (IRL).
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Fortnite is coming to Switch!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Hollow Knight is out now on Switch e-shop! It's a surprisingly gorgeous game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Octoling expansion for Splatoon 2 that they’ve been saying for ages is out ‘in summer’ is in actual fact out today in the US (and tomorrow everywhere else).