Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Post by JaySevenZero »

Just starting the obligatory thread for what is probably one the most anticipated titles from everyone's favourite Polish developer!

NuKaholic

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by NuKaholic »

Can't wait for this. CD Projekt RED has earned so much good faith from me that this is one game I'll be preordering regardless. I really don't preorder games anymore but I have a lot of love and respect for CD Projekt RED.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Everything I'm hearing about this game is great. Sounds fantastic. Something to scratch that Deus Ex itch, but is a decent action game in its own right too. The style of it is brilliant, and the world seems really fleshed out too. I love how they're using AR stuff to create diegetic HUD elements. And one little thing I really love is that "Cool" is a player stat.

Some quickfire bullet points on certain features:
http://uk.ign.com//articles/2018/06/12/ ... n-rpg-more

More in-depth run-down of the pess demo:
https://www.destructoid.com/cyberpunk-2 ... 7936.phtml

Although I get the impression this is going to be a next-gen game. Despite having already waited an eternity for this reveal, I get the feeling we've got another eternity to go.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

This is really encouraging. This tells me they are focusing on density rather than square footage.

It sounds more and more like an open world Deus Ex game, but frankly a Deus Ex game with CD Projekt RED's writing team sounds so up my street. Looking forward to a Cyberpunk setting that does something more interesting than "Aug Lives Matter."
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Intense verticality makes perfect sense to me for a game that isn't so much about the epic scenery and varyied natural environments.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

This is all cool but I dont understand why they arent showing any of this gameplay to the public,we have been waiting for this game for 5 years give us something more.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m happy to not see any gameplay until they day I get hold of it, especially while the devs don’t feel ready to share.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect the main reason for not showing it publicly yet is that they’re still no further than the vertical slice and so don’t have a full grasp of the tech specs yet.

It’s not easy to remember now given how well the game has been received, but there was significant internet backlash when some of the first ‘real’ footage of the Witcher 3 was a visual downgrade from the early preview footage they showed.

They’ve probably decided that the best thing to do is not show it until they know how it’ll really look when they add all the things in that aren’t in there yet and have to turn the wick down a bit to get it to run well.

I also doubt this has been in full production with a full team until quite recently. There are a lot of people at CD Projekt, but not *that* many. Some games spend a long time in their pre production phase, Fallout 76 it seems was started around the same time as Fallout 4, for example.

tl;dr - they ain’t showing it cause they don’t think it’ll look like this by the time they’re done and don’t want the aggro from the internet.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I am a lot more excited for this than I was a couple of days ago. Personally I really hope its not like Deus Ex, insofar as I hope it encourages stealth very sparingly. I'm hoping for action RPG, not another sneak em up.
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

I was so hyped for this game despite not knowing what the hell it would turn out to be: a GTA clone? An immersive sim a la Deus Ex? A shooter with some RPG sprinkled on top? But now that I’ve seen the trailer and read some bits about the behind-closed-doors demo they showed to the gaming press at E3 (first-person perspective, a proper RPG experience, customizable playable character, vehicles, The Witcher 3-style dialogue, some diegetic HUDs, vertically big city,...) I’m even more hyped than before! Send help.

:lol: Seriously though, I’m so glad that we got a proper look at the... well, look of the game thanks to that superb trailer. I’m a big fan of that type of retrofuturistic setting and I can’t wait for the day they release a meaty gameplay video. I’m sure CD Projekt RED will accomplish nothing short of greatness with this game.

I mean, just look at the city!

And here!
Source:
https://twitter.com/GwentBro/status/1006621231959822336

Fucking amazing reveal they did at E3, by the way! 8-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Very pleased to learn driving was a thing. I played through the entirety of GTA5 in first person and it was so much more immersive. The driving and flying especially. Having to look around properly when landing helicopters and approaching traffic etc.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Heh. I’d forgotten all about this...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Always loved that little tease. I really hope we run across Ciri in Cyberpunk. In disguise perhaps, under an alias. Would be a very cool little nod.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

JaySevenZero wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:29 amfrom everyone's favourite Polish developer!
Ouch! Poor People Can Fly, they try so hard but no-one remembers them.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

I cannot remember the last time I have felt simultaneously hyped and 100% certain the developer will deliver on it. To echo an earlier post, CD Projekt Red have built up a massive amount of goodwill for me as a gamer, but not just from how they design games, but also in how they apply their own spin on business practices. Not that I am accusing others of not being so, but CDPR strike me as a company that genuinely care about making great games first and foremost, with profit being secondary. I think their "If you build it they will come" mantra is wonderful and the confidence that their own ethos will still generate the necessary revenue is refreshing.

I don’t mind waiting several more years and as a Deus Ex fan, this may well be the Deus Ex (ish) game we have all been waiting for. Bring it on!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s not all sweetness and light, CDPR is not known as a great place to work. They produce results, but they’re very firmly in the camp of studios that believe only enforced extended crunch makes great games.

They were asked about this in an interview recently and fell back on ‘if people don’t like it they shouldn’t work here’. Which is fair enough I guess, but that eventually leaves you with no staff.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I was pretty curious about this title and it's setting, and would have picked it up. Then the news that it was first person only put me off.

Sorry, motion sickness is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. Not blaming the developers - purely my own body letting me down on that one. :oops:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

This just looks incredible. I'm now officially more excited for this game than any other, apart from perhaps Shenmue 3, and my excitement for that is tempered by the fear it could be terrible, so Cyberpunk maybe takes it!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ay-footage
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm just not that into this at the moment.

I'm certainly keen to see what it is all about and will most likely get it day one - just like most AAA games.

I'm just not really losing my mind over it at the moment like a lot of people are that i'm talking too/reading about.