Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've started Ys Origin.

First impressions are positive. The intro is very cute, and the trash-tier textures, fixed camera, interminable cutscenes and 2D portraits make me feel right at home. It even had a native 4:3 sequence at some point and my heart skipped a beat.

The part that's giving me trouble though, is the weird pseudo-fake French voiceover (of all things) which plays over some of the exposition and causes my brain to short-circuit when reading one language and trying to decipher another I'm hearing at the same time. It's not even complete gibberish like in Õkami, it sounds like an actual French recording that they've distorted as much as possible in post-production. Barbarians.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 9th, 2018, 1:17 am God of War has nothing on this in terms of boss scale and adult-themed violence! :lol:
:lol:
stvnorman wrote: June 9th, 2018, 10:13 pm I like to give every fee game on PS+ a fair crack, but after the first scene (where you vaguely interact with some terrible controls) in Beyond: Two Souls, I had to delete it as fast as possible. What an awful game!
:(
I would suggest there is some subconscious prejudice at play here for you to abandon it so quickly! I bet if you'd downloaded it on your old last-year's internet, you would have stuck with it past the opening scene :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Beyond is.... it's ok. There are genuinely some good moments in that game. Just a shame there are an equal amount of terrible ones. I'd say it's worth playing in full, I actually enjoyed the story so if you can get on board with that you tend to forgive some of the gameplay and acting.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 9th, 2018, 11:28 pm I've started Ys Origin.
Have you played much of the series? I love the games. The Oath In Felghana is probably the best.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: June 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm Have you played much of the series?
No mate, it's my first one! I don't have a PSP or Vita, so the series has passed me by. Which is a shame, because I think I would enjoy it if the first one is any indication. I plan on buying Lacrimosa of DANA, but a collection of all the canonical entries for modern consoles would be an absolute blessing at this point!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: June 11th, 2018, 2:40 pm Beyond is.... it's ok. There are genuinely some good moments in that game. Just a shame there are an equal amount of terrible ones. I'd say it's worth playing in full, I actually enjoyed the story so if you can get on board with that you tend to forgive some of the gameplay and acting.
It's strange, I seem to have a massive blind spot for this game in comparison to everyone else. It's in my top ten of all time! :D

It's the best and most coherent Quantic Dream game, though I realise it doesn't have much competition.
It has a paranormal main thread that is resolved very well regarding the game's protagonists and their mechanics (specifically Aiden).
It has some great role playing in the way you shape Jodie's child- and young adulthood. Really personal and ten times more meaningful than the predictable choices of your standard RPG.
It has a bubblegum JamesBondish main plot which mixes girl-on-the-run with sub-Arctic bases. An enjoyable romp.
Casting Willem Dafoe in a video game was an horrendous decision - he's already gargoyle-like enough in real life, but the rest of the acting was pretty good. But that's really the only fault I have with the game.

So yeah, I mean you have to buy in, suspend your disbelief etc, but I think it's a cracking game. It still hasn't been done better (see the raft of games like Hidden Agenda, Planet of the Apes this year).

I'm really puzzled that I'm so far away from consensus on this one.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Started Metro 2033 Redux last night. Was expecting a lot more action straight out of the gate, but it seems like it might be a more thoughtful game than that. Action happens as scenes, most of the the time it's best not to fight and I've spent more time just touring survivalist towns. Interesting so far and the music has some cool personality
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

duskvstweak wrote: June 12th, 2018, 3:34 pm Started Metro 2033 Redux last night. Was expecting a lot more action straight out of the gate, but it seems like it might be a more thoughtful game than that. Action happens as scenes, most of the the time it's best not to fight and I've spent more time just touring survivalist towns. Interesting so far and the music has some cool personality
Metro is a way more tatical shooter then its counterparts, playing the first game on the highest difficulty really is a case of every bullet counts, with both you and your opponents dying pretty quickly.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Vampyr, I can't put it better than Scrustle did above.

It is very wordy but I'm enjoying it a lot.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

stvnorman wrote: June 9th, 2018, 10:13 pm I like to give every free game on PS+ a fair crack, but after the first scene (where you vaguely interact with some terrible controls) in Beyond: Two Souls, I had to delete it as fast as possible. What an awful game!
:(
I would suggest there is some subconscious prejudice at play here for you to abandon it so quickly! I bet if you'd downloaded it on your old last-year's internet, you would have stuck with it past the opening scene :D
[/quote]

Ha ha. You are so right! I’d have stuck with it until I had a Platinum. Having more than 1MB/s has gone right to my head!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I recently download the ACA Neo Geo version of Sengoku 3 on the PS4. The only other version I have of this was included on the 161-in-1 MVS multicart, and it really was a game that slipped through the gaps. Being a belt-scroller in released in 2001 for the aging Neo Geo system, while SNK were going bankrupt, didn't exactly help either!

This is easily the best game in the series, with big, beautiful sprite-based artwork, and a decent moveset, compete with combos. Oh, and a dash. Love a belt-scroller with a dash move!

I should make a small disclaimer: if I can play a game on my PS3 or PS4 with my Street Fighter 5 Mad Catz fightstick, I will. I haven't played this with a regular controller, though I'm sure it'd be fine. But why have hamburger when you can have steak?

So, yeah, if you like your belt-scrollers, it's a good one to pick up. You can skip the first two in the series - you're not going to miss anything.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sounds like another one to add to my ACA NEOGEO collection.
Thanks Joshi!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's absolutely fantastic, and also available on Switch. My favourite brawler by far.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Started playing into the Breach, its a tatics roguelike I guess you could say, similar to FTL which makes sense since its by the same people. So far I dont know how to feel about it, I like the game's focus on positioning and making the best of limited resources but at the same time it feels too limiting, I mean you're are stuck with only 3 units and you have to pick a particular team and you cant mix and match so yeah I dunno yet, also I heard that Chris Avellone wrote for the game and well that's pretty meaningless the game is pretty barren in terms of story and world building even more so then FTL.

Will keep playing but I dont see myself falling in love with it as so many people have.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just started Max Payne 2. Talk about a graphical upgrade! This series is so cool, glad I've finally tried it out. Even 15 years later, it's still impressing newbies like me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Enjoying Vampyr a lot, though there was a very taxing mid-game boss fight that nearly derailed the whole thing.

The combat has been compared to Bloodborne, apparently. I wouldn't go that far, but there does seem to be a range of abilities that could lead to interesting fighting styles. I lack imagination and am a ham-fisted oaf, so I generally never go for the more interesting/esoteric abilities in games. I generally stick to STR/DEX type stuff and pumping passive abilities.

The plot is excellent, with lots of subtext. If they really mean all the implications and modern-day applications of the stuff they are discussing, then I am very impressed. I have just joined what is essentially the Conservative Party in-game.
Spoiler: show
It may not be a shock to realise that they are an ancient order of vampires :)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Playing God of War or more accurately, finishing God of War.

I am so mixed on this game, I like the story it's telling, I like the setting, I like the combat for the first few enounters with the axe...
Spoiler: show
and later with the blades which give some much needed consistent AOE damage
...but certain backtracking gets repetitive and certain encounters tiresome. Also, I'm not sure that the gear system really adds to the experience and I'm not a fan of the skills tree being gated by gear level.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Playing alot of PUBG whilst streaming.. In my own time I have gone full balls deep into Minecraft again. I think the urge to build things (Thanks Fallout 76 reveal!) overtook my common sense.

I am also making a concerted effort to try out smaller titles wherever possible. Been playing two blinders recently. Swords of Ditto, which is akin to a roguelike old school Zeldaesque adventure title with an inventive main mechanic and charming game play. Speaking of charming if you have to play one indie game this year, play a wonderful title by the name of 'Minit'. Short, sweet, clever, engrossing and holy crap biscuits that soundtrack! I am not ashamed to admit that I have played it so often that I can speedrun it in around 10 minutes. Available on pretty much every platform and well worth its circa £7.00 price tag.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been playing Assault Android Cactus after picking it up in the recent sale on PSN. Cute design, energetic presentation, and very satisfying core gameplay loop. It's like an easily accessible, slightly less readable and precise version of Nex Machina. Loving it so far.

I think I initially jotted it down the list after being sold by someone's enthusiasm on here (Flabyo, maybe?). Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yup, it’s one of my favourites.