E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2018, 10:14 am I was surprised at Alex' especially negative description as regards to the technical/aesthetic side.
Yeah I just thought graphically it looked quite poor, terrible voice acting too. I was watching it on my phone, mind...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Interesting. I think the visuals look pretty swish!
Anyone else have opinions?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

When I watched it I was thinking, how many PS4s did they tape together to run this? :o

And before anybody replies, I know that's not how it works ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:13 am Anyone else have opinions?
I think it looks very good, the lighting gives it real depth and atmosphere, the way the God Rays bounce off wet surfaces and the blood on his Katana are subtle but effective.

However, I can perhaps see shortcomings in what Alex is edging towards - as a preference.

I tend to land in an art style that falls between the realistic but fantasy direction.

I think God of War did it very well and Zelda:BotW did it very well also - so by those comparisons alone you can see that I have a very broad scale.

I generally dislike games that go for full on photo-realistic styles/direction, it's an impossible goal I think.

It's very subjective though, of course.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think in isolation it looks pretty good. But in the context of e3 where there have been multiple similar looking titles announced, the trailer doesn’t do a job of explaining what is unique about it.

But then I think the combat part of the Last of Us 2 trailer would be indistinguishable from the combat part of the Shadow of the Tome Raider trailer if you didn’t know who the main characters were.

I am so very bored of third person grim and gritty realism, post apocalyptic or otherwise. One of the things I think Horizon does well is that the post-post-apocalypse setting is something actually fresh (Breath of the Wild is actually pretty similar in that respect, though it doesn’t lean into the ‘after the end’ story tropes as much)

Contrast that with the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey stuff. They concentrated on the elements that were different from what they’ve done before, and capitalised on the fact it’s a less used setting for games to create at least the impression that it will stand out from the crowd. (More people need to play Koei’s ‘warriors of troy’ though, heh)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:13 am Interesting. I think the visuals look pretty swish!
Overall I think it's looking pretty fancy! If I'm being picky, the facial animation isn't the best and they're overusing that waving grass/corn/leaves/branches effect. There's stuff flapping about all over the place!

As for the game itself, I'm fascinated by the period and setting so I'm pretty excited for this one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pmthe folks who are actually angry about it need to get over it.
I checked out some of the rabid Twitter comments when the story broke. The sense of entitlement of those people is really quite extraordinary. [...]
I think you guys are right to an extent, but I gotta admit that it's a bit hard to read this after spending so much time over the past few days analysing and having strong negative emotional responses to the RE2make footage while 90% of the conversation I see elsewhere on the internet is centered around how ridiculous it is to have strong attachments to certain design choices and that being a passionate fan indicates that there must be something wrong with you. :(

PS: I know you didn't mean anything by it and I agree that a lot of fans are going completely overboard in the way that they choose to express their dissatisfaction.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:19 am When I watched it I was thinking, how many PS4s did they tape together to run this? :o

And before anybody replies, I know that's not how it works ;)
I thought that’s exactly how it works ;)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I thought GoT looked absolutely sensational, in particular the horse riding through the swaying heather/grass. The whole thing reminded me of The Last Blade on the Neo Geo (for obvious reasons) which is one of the most beautiful fighting games I've ever seen. I think it looks better than Sekiro, though I expect that will trounce it from a mechanical point of view.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 14th, 2018, 2:16 pm
ThirdMan wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pmthe folks who are actually angry about it need to get over it.
I checked out some of the rabid Twitter comments when the story broke. The sense of entitlement of those people is really quite extraordinary. [...]
I think you guys are right to an extent, but I gotta admit that it's a bit hard to read this after spending so much time over the past few days analysing and having strong negative emotional responses to the RE2make footage while 90% of the conversation I see elsewhere on the internet is centered around how ridiculous it is to have strong attachments to certain design choices and that being a passionate fan indicates that there must be something wrong with you. :(

PS: I know you didn't mean anything by it and I agree that a lot of fans are going completely overboard in the way that they choose to express their dissatisfaction.
There's certainly nothing wrong with being a passionate fan mate - I am one myself and it's the passion of gamers that is part of what makes our hobby and the industry so special when it's channeled in the right way. Never lose the love!

With regards this particular situation though, for me there's a key difference with people being mad about the RE2 remake vs being mad about Cyberpunk - the RE2 remake is a long awaited reimagining of an iconic title in one of gaming's most beloved franchises, tied to a time period that also holds a huge amount of nostalgia for literally millions of gamers. There's so much expectation and baggage that goes with that, the fact you've got people up in arms about the way it's being executed is practically a given. Doesn't make the anger and abusive behaviour excusable, but I can see where it's coming from to some extent.

Cyberpunk is a new IP. Yes it's been floating around in the gaming ether for a while and comes off the back of a very popular game from the same developer, but gamers don't really have a right to be angry and abusive to the devs or each other about anything at this point. No expectations were set by the devs for sure. They never said it was third person or anything else about the game really. They're just doing their thing and creating their art, and now people are being horrible about it before they've seen anything more a few minutes of footage.

I can't remember being genuinely angry about a game for any reason other than it annoyed me while I was playing it (NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams on Wii you son of bitch you broke my heart!!!). I'm not trying to sound all "everyone should be more like me because I'm so perfect", I'm not - I'm a plonker in a whole host ways - but when it comes to gaming the culture of bile and fury that is spewed over people's hard work before anyone's even picked up a controller and experienced it for themselves is a blight on this wonderful art form.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm There's certainly nothing wrong with being a passionate fan mate - I am one myself and it's the passion of gamers that is part of what makes our hobby and the industry so special when it's channeled in the right way. Never lose the love!
I agree wholeheartedly. It's the reason why I come to this forum in the first place: To talk about things I'm passionate about, and to read about what others are passionate about and why. To share the love and celebrate this wonderful medium.

I also agree with you on Cyberpunk. If the developers weren't being misleading, then fans have no reason to be upset about the direction that game is going, especially since it's a new project unrelated to their previous work. It's just that your posts hit a little too close to home at the moment, after seemingly being given the cold shoulder by developers and community managers and seeing similarly-minded purists being mocked and lambasted for their preferences by their fellow players. I am not angry, and I'm certainly not the type to go insult total strangers over something as inconsequential as a video game (like you said, this venomous culture is a disgrace sometimes), but I also think that I wouldn't be so sad if I wasn't so passionate to begin with. It's like the law of diminishing returns applies to fandom as well.

To be fair, I was surprised by my own reaction. I knew I cared about RE, but I didn't expect to be so overwhelmed by it all. :|
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Are they using the RE7 engine, do we know?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yes, they are. 100%. They did slightly modify it in order to improve the lighting and shadow effects, but it's their proprietary RE engine.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok I love this so much, you thought buttgate in Overwatch was a big deal you seen nothing yet until you`ve seen buttgate in Smash bros because of what they did to Snake: http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/14/ ... nake-butt/

#notmysnake #bringbackthiccsnake
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Well, I liked the look of REMake 2, it looked action-y but it also looked confined, restricted and other good things. The feedback from journalists who have spent more time with it is possitive (mostly) too. RE2 is my favourite game in the series and whatever happens, that game still exists, this doesn't simply replace it from existence. To be honest though, we've seen too little to know for sure, I'd actually like to see a demo released.

Cyberpunk looked good and the feedback of behind closed doors showings is also good. The problem is that a lot of people were expecting it to be a bleak sci-fi Witcher 3. It isn't.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:13 am Interesting. I think the visuals look pretty swish!
The gameplay didn't look anything too new to me, but graphically, from watching it on a YouTube stream at least, my thought was 'there is NO way this is running on a PS4'. I'd go as far as to say it was the title that most looked like a huge generational leap to me.

E3 overall... It was fine. Probably made me realise I need to get a PS4 as we are now hitting that part of a consoles lifespan where the third party classics start coming thick and fast. Plus Nintendo didn't show anything that interests me that comes out this year.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Like every year, I ignore E3 then pick through the event well after it's finished. Hype and marketing doesn't do it for me, but I'm trying to avoid being too uninformed. I want to be excited about future releases too.

But yeah, these just feel like the same games I've been playing for a decade now, but with a new shiny coat of paint. All this technology and most of what's coming out is just shooting more people/monsters/aliens in the face. Not exactly breaking new ground.

I understand that modern systems require bigger budgets, which in turn require bigger teams, and in turn bigger sales in order to cover the costs of production. And this is why the familiarity of franchises are a safe, logical, and smart business decision, but... I just wished I cared. That might just be my outlook.

E3 is exactly what it needs to be, and caters to the widest possible audience for the biggest possible profit. It didn't disappoint or inspire, it just was what it was, and will always be. Inspiration may have to come from elsewhere...

Although I do agree with some previous entries in this thread: Cave games on modern systems. Cave don't have the cash, but the Microsoft and Sony do, so it's in there hands. There's no technical hurdles - even the Switch could easily handle them - it's purely an economical hurdle. Supply, demand.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: June 18th, 2018, 1:44 am Like every year, I ignore E3 then pick through the event well after it's finished. Hype and marketing doesn't do it for me, but I'm trying to avoid being too uninformed. I want to be excited about future releases too.

But yeah, these just feel like the same games I've been playing for a decade now, but with a new shiny coat of paint. All this technology and most of what's coming out is just shooting more people/monsters/aliens in the face. Not exactly breaking new ground.

I understand that modern systems require bigger budgets, which in turn require bigger teams, and in turn bigger sales in order to cover the costs of production. And this is why the familiarity of franchises are a safe, logical, and smart business decision, but... I just wished I cared. That might just be my outlook.

E3 is exactly what it needs to be, and caters to the widest possible audience for the biggest possible profit. It didn't disappoint or inspire, it just was what it was, and will always be. Inspiration may have to come from elsewhere...

Although I do agree with some previous entries in this thread: Cave games on modern systems. Cave don't have the cash, but the Microsoft and Sony do, so it's in there hands. There's no technical hurdles - even the Switch could easily handle them - it's purely an economical hurdle. Supply, demand.
There's an interesting interview at the start of this month's Edge with a lead developer at Codemasters. They state that 4K is stopping gaming from moving on, as even a powerful Xbox One X can't output pure 4K yet without fudging every other pixel or making compromises elsewhere. They argue that if we all decided we were ok with 60fps and 720p, then there'd be stacks of processing power to move AI, dynamic storytelling, branched gameplay etc forward. But they fear the next generation will merely make 4K gaming a bit easier, rather than do this.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Same as it ever was I’m afraid.

As a game AI coder I’m well used to every new console generation promising I’ll get more cycles to do cool new game AI stuff, and then when they actually land we have to use it all to make things shinier cause everyone else is and you can’t not look as shiny as everyone else if you actually want to sell anything.

Graphics engineers get sent to SIGGRAPH and come back with cool new real-time rendering things to try. Gameplay engineers go to AI conferences and sigh at all the cool things they’ll never be given the cycles to do in a game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This obsessive focus on graphics / animations / particle effects over everything else is a large part of what is making me so critical about the modern AAA landscape. It's not that I don't appreciate good graphics, it's that they're near the bottom of the priority list of what I look for in a video game. The majority of my favorite games aren't even in native HD, and I wouldn't change anything about them just to make them look prettier.

Games whose graphical prowess is their main selling point tend to lose their luster very quickly. The initial "Wow"-factor is just that: Initial. Once the players become accustomed to the game's look, then it fades in the background and the rest needs to keep their attention. And it often doesn't. And quite frankly, I think it's the consumer base that is mostly to blame for rushing out to buy the shiny new thing every month to satiate their short attention span. Producers are going to green-light what people are buying.

I'd love nothing more than to see 1080p/60fps become the de facto standard so that other, arguably more important aspects of game design could receive the attention they deserve. Where do I sign? (I know, I know: "Buy a Switch!")