Virtual Reality

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Virtual Reality

Post by Suits »

I know there’s a fair few of us on here that have VR headsets, so I thought it might be a good idea to collate some of our best experiences here as it can be tricky trying to find recommendations in the other topics.

Having arrived at the virtual party way more than fashionably late myself, I’m unsure of where to invest my time and money in what slightly appears to be a saturated pool of experiences.

I personally have PSVR and have tried Wipeout Omega, The Shark Dive Experience and a Mech Asteroid jumping game that came bundled with my headset. Wipeout being the stand out here.

I’ve heard that Moss is very good and well worth a look and I’ve also picked up Doom VFR.

Anyone have any recommendations for things to try, or games that simply have to be experienced ??
KSubzero1000

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't have a VR headset, but Rez Infinite is supposed to be absolutely wonderful in VR. The panel was extremely positive about it on the recent podcast.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Download the demo volumes on the PSN if you haven't already as the second one gives you the Moss demo. The VR Worlds pack-in is also worth checking out but I assume that the shark one you refer to is the Ocean Descent demo in that? If that's the case then also try The London Heist, which I found to be quite enjoyable too.

I'd highly recommend Rez as the game, and particularly Area X, is a revelation in VR

Resident Evil 7 is fun if claustrophobic, tense as hell experiences are your bag! ;)

Of all the titles on the horizon, Beat Saber is the one I've been keeping an eye on for quite a while and it's now also on its way over to PSVR finally!

Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, wicked, I'll get on those demo's then - good shout. I'll also spend a bit more time in the VR Worlds software, although I found it a little overwhelming and thought that it wasn't that descriptive as to what the actual experience was - so moved onto something else, as you do.

I've heard that Farpoint is pretty decent shooter experience too.

Yeah, I can imagine that Rez is powerful :lol: .
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

Ultrawings is one that I can recommend. It's a bit like pilot wings, but in VR. It is compatible with a flight stick too, which really makes you feel immersed.

https://youtu.be/4l3vkzmiCDQ
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

For PSVR, the two major, 'full fat' experiences are Resident Evil 7 and Skyrim VR, in that they are full triple A games in VR. Resi 7 is well worth a look (there's a demo called Beginning Hour) and another short experience called The Kitchen. The first couple of hours of Resi7 in VR is the absolute best, so that demo might give a good taster. The Kitchen begins with you tied to a chair, and I can't tell what happens after that because I Noped out of it so fast.

Skyrim is Skyrim with much worse visual fidelity. Combat is rendered trivial if you choose the Teleport control scheme, but there definitely is something about playing a dual wielding wizard using the Move controllers to blast people with fire and ice.

As you mention, there's a large array of shorter experiences which vary wildly in quality.

The superstars of the scene in my opinion are Superhot VR and Statik (if you like puzzle games).

Then in tier 2, there is I Expect You to Die (again if you like puzzles), Arizona Sunshine (good shooter), Farpoint (it's a fairly mundane 'shooter with a story' but is done very well), Driveclub (good arcade racer, you should be able to get it for less than a fiver), Moss (is gorgeous, but is basically a 3d platformer), Ultrawings (basic flight simulator with a lack of varied content, you do the same few exercises over and over in different planes), Tumble VR (a block stacking game which is surprisingly enjoyable), Raw Data (wave shooter/tower defence which is quite difficult and sweaty). The Inpatient is ok if you can get it cheap.

Games I haven't played which are supposed to be excellent; Rush of Blood (rails/wave shooter), Solus Project (I played the non-VR version of this, I have the VR version but haven't played yet), Megaton Rainfall, Dirt Rally.

Avoid: Robinson The Journey (dull), Batman VR (worth experiencing if you can get it cheap), Theseus, Apollo 11, Everest.

If you want to try out some different stuff, Alumette is free and is a nice little cartoon-type game. The Invisible Hours is excellent but is like watching a play, which you can rewind, follow different characters etc. Very interesting indeed but no user interaction outside of who to watch.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

If Tetris Effect lives up to its potential it could be a system seller. At least to me anyway, despite my insistence up to first seeing it that I wouldn’t dive in until there were no cables attached. Anyway, to be more constructive, I’ve used my brother’s PSVR a bit, and I’d recommend everyone has a go at Wipeout Omega Collection. It’s absolutely gorgeous and runs at a fantastic pace.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: July 4th, 2018, 1:18 pm For PSVR, the two major, 'full fat' experiences are Resident Evil 7 and Skyrim VR, in that they are full triple A games in VR. Resi 7 is well worth a look (there's a demo called Beginning Hour) and another short experience called The Kitchen. The first couple of hours of Resi7 in VR is the absolute best, so that demo might give a good taster. The Kitchen begins with you tied to a chair, and I can't tell what happens after that because I Noped out of it so fast.

Skyrim is Skyrim with much worse visual fidelity. Combat is rendered trivial if you choose the Teleport control scheme, but there definitely is something about playing a dual wielding wizard using the Move controllers to blast people with fire and ice.

As you mention, there's a large array of shorter experiences which vary wildly in quality.

The superstars of the scene in my opinion are Superhot VR and Statik (if you like puzzle games).

Then in tier 2, there is I Expect You to Die (again if you like puzzles), Arizona Sunshine (good shooter), Farpoint (it's a fairly mundane 'shooter with a story' but is done very well), Driveclub (good arcade racer, you should be able to get it for less than a fiver), Moss (is gorgeous, but is basically a 3d platformer), Ultrawings (basic flight simulator with a lack of varied content, you do the same few exercises over and over in different planes), Tumble VR (a block stacking game which is surprisingly enjoyable), Raw Data (wave shooter/tower defence which is quite difficult and sweaty). The Inpatient is ok if you can get it cheap.

Games I haven't played which are supposed to be excellent; Rush of Blood (rails/wave shooter), Solus Project (I played the non-VR version of this, I have the VR version but haven't played yet), Megaton Rainfall, Dirt Rally.

Avoid: Robinson The Journey (dull), Batman VR (worth experiencing if you can get it cheap), Theseus, Apollo 11, Everest.

If you want to try out some different stuff, Alumette is free and is a nice little cartoon-type game. The Invisible Hours is excellent but is like watching a play, which you can rewind, follow different characters etc. Very interesting indeed but no user interaction outside of who to watch.
Agree with nearly everything aside from Batman! I’d put that in the top tier of VR experiences and is my go to product to show off the technology. Less a game and more a tech demo but I still go back to it now.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, I'd agree about Batman, it looks great. I'm just a bit sore about it not being much of a game.

Haven't fired up VR for a good while now; the hot weather isn't conducive to headset gaming. I have quite a backlog at this stage.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I've not used it much at all of late, the football, heat, etc....

Although :lol: , my old man came round to help me hang a door, then once we were done, said to me;

"Lets have a go on that helmet reality thing, does it take long to set up ??"

He did the shark experience. He loved it.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Adorable! :P

Chopper wrote: July 13th, 2018, 9:34 am Haven't fired up VR for a good while now; the hot weather isn't conducive to headset gaming.
Wait, so if VR is "The Future" despite the Earth getting hotter by the minute, does it mean that VR zealots also happen to be climate change deniers? :lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hahaha, that's great!

I did the shark experience with my old man but he kind of missed the shark bit. He was too interested in prodding and poking at the bars of the cage (he's an ex-boatbuilder and a real hands on guy, if you take him to a gallery or museum he gets repeated warnings for touching the paintings' frames etc) and wasn't looking out the front at the time. :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I tried Ocean Rift on the Gear VR yesterday and absolutely shat my pants at a sea turtle. I'm not getting involved with any damn sharks. I also have a tremendous fear of the sea - like any sane, rational person.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My highlights have been Batman VR (going down to the Batcave was a genuine wow moment).

I played a couple of hours of Skyrim and yes it looks not the best but again I felt immersed.

If you haven't already you should download the bbc vr app and try the world cup final in VR even if you only do it for 5 minutes. It is excellent and exciting for what they can do in the future. Concerts?

Bought Kismet in a sale and thought it was poor and I have all the Resi 7 dlc to try (I did the main game before I got PSVR)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 13th, 2018, 9:55 am does it mean that VR zealots also happen to be climate change deniers? :lol:
Or 'Americans', as we call them now :)
Stanshall wrote: July 13th, 2018, 11:07 am I tried Ocean Rift on the Gear VR yesterday and absolutely shat my pants at a sea turtle. I'm not getting involved with any damn sharks. I also have a tremendous fear of the sea - like any sane, rational person.
This shark is amazing. Have you ever had a nightmare where you feel totally powerless in the face of some impending doom? This is like that, except there's a shark coming at you. Terrifying.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha. I would probably have a heart attack. Sharks are one of my biggest fears, I've seen about fifty shark movies and they torment my dreams every time, so yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Horrendous.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Had a good laugh with this last Friday night, we had some friends come and stay and us lads stayed up smoking and messing about with PSVR.

Pretty much tried all the things available on PS Worlds and had a blast messing about in Doom VFR.

I thought Doom was cool, although I was probably more impressed with how they made the game work with the actual controls than the actual game if truth be told.

Many laughs were had fumbling around in London Heist, with which the PS Move controllers worked very well, lighting cigars and the such.

I tried to download the recommended Demo Volumes but couldn't find them on the PS Store, so looked on the app on my phone, downloaded it but couldn't find it them on my console.

Overall we spent many hours going into the late, early hours playing it and one thing of serious note, that I hadn't though about was how appealing it was to watch people play - it's exactly the same as watching someone play a normal game.

I'd kind of assumed that not being the one wearing the headset would be a total bystander, that's not the case at all and I'm pleasantly surprised how communal VR actually is.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Tetris Effect is the first game in VR that I’ve actively wanted to, and played by myself sat in my chair of an evening.

It’s immense.

The music, the effects, the absolute total immersion of it is sometimes overwhelming.

After you finish the final level on journey and the credits roll it’s like a trip.

Excellent stuff.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

There seems to be quite a bit of take-up on PSVR this Black Friday; looks like the thing hit the right price point at last.

I got messages from several PSN buddies asking me for tips (one had given up on the Vive becoming affordable) and Twitter seems afire with AstroBot-adopters.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm not saying it would necessarily compel me to buy one, but should VR manage to pick up a critical amount of momentum, then I'd certainly be curious to see what a AAA game from some of my favorite directors would look and play like.