Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndrewBrown

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by AndrewBrown »

Spoiler: show
02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]
31/03: Devious Dungeon [Switch]
31/03: Warp Shift [Switch]
01/04: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [Switch]
02/04: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated [Switch]
09/04: Attack on Titan 2 [Switch]
11/04: The Bunker [Switch]
14/04: Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe [Switch]
16/04: Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut [Switch]
18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]
23/04: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition [Switch]
01/05: Saturday Morning RPG [Switch]
05/05: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze [Switch]
06/05: God of War (2018) [PS4]
13/05: Secret of Mana (2018) [PS4]
15/05: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle [Switch]
19/05: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition [Switch]
22/05: Shadow of the Colossus (2018) [PS4]
25/05: Runner3 [Switch]
30/05: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Gold Edition [PS4]
06/06: PixelJunk Monsters 2 [Switch]
09/06: Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn [Switch]
13/06: The Banner Saga [Switch]
16/06: Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion [Switch]
28/06: Hollow Knight [Switch]
30/06: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus [Switch]

I didn't play Wolfenstein: The New Order until late last year, and after listening to years of gushing praise for it I was disappointed to find myself resenting the final product. I had somehow built it up in my mind as a brutal imagining of a world where the Axis won World War II. This is sort of what I got, but I hadn't anticipated a brain-snatching plot or the Jewish Wizards from outer space. Engel was the standout villain in The First Order for me, as she felt more grounded in her over-the-top villainy, so it's probably not a coincidence that The New Colossus elevates her to main villain status and I enjoyed the final videogame much more as a result.

I found BJ to be a dull protagonist in The New Order, so I was glad to see The New Colossus fill in his back story and give some context and motivation to his behavior and personality. He's still a grim meathead with little interesting to offer as a character, but at least there's an explanation for why he is that way now. BJ's relationship with his father undergirds the first half of The New Colossus, which chugs along with purpose and seems to know exactly where it's going up to the big plot twist. But it loses that steam in the back half, as though the story was planned out in detail until the big set piece and everything after that was a hazy mess of half-written notecards. BJ's certainty of his impending death is resolved but replaced with no interesting perspective on his new situation, the infiltration of the New Orleans ghetto and the characters introduced there offer no necessary step towards the final assault on Engel's flying base, and much like The New Order, reaching the climax of The New Colossus requires an inexplicable trip to a Nazi space base. The final boss fight is against two faceless elite mooks with no compelling relationship with the protagonists; Engel meets her end in a cathartic-but-toothless way from a game design perspective. At the outset you can choose to save Wyatt or Fergus, just as in the New Order, and each offers nominally unique contributions to the story. I say "nominally" because their modularity is apparent, being simultaneously expendable and interchangeable at any given point in the plot.

A Switch port of a AAA PS4/Xbox/PC videogame requires some visual compromises, and The New Colossus port comes from the technical wizards at Panic Button which also brought DOOM 2016 and Rocket League to the platform. DOOM ran well enough but still suffered from single-digit framerate drops in some of the more hectic set pieces and the textures were often disappointingly simplified. The New Colossus feels like a step ahead; I experienced no hiccups in framerate and character textures hold up a lot better. But sometimes the cracks shine through; Engel is defined by the scar she received from BJ in The New Order, and while this scar is rendered in horrifying detail in FMV, her in-game model is so blurry the scar is practically indistinguishable. Another place where I felt like I was playing a visually compromised port was in larger areas, as blurred textures at longer ranges allowed distant enemies to disappear into the background without losing their ability to fire on me. These only occurred in a few places and were a minor annoyance.

I had a better grasp on what I was in for with The New Colossus which probably contributed to my greater enjoyment of it. It's wackier and more over-the-top than The New Order (one memorable sequence sees one of BJ's allies getting high on LSD and chasing a cartoon chameleon into battle), and Engel is a more grounded, detestable villain than the giggling, brain-snatching General Deathshead from The New Order. This more grounded villain also helped The New Colossus have more interesting contrasts with the political situation of the world we live in--the protagonist's actions are sometimes viewed through the Nazi propaganda being fed to the wider world, and the twisting of language and context echoes eerily with what happens on social media.

You also get to kick Hitler in the face. Five stars.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance aka Ike ends racism (emulator)-

So Im kinda of blown away by this game for multiple reasons and the story was what surprised me the most I'd say, I joked there but the game really is about racism in fact alot more time is spent dealing with that then the actual main plot where the villain wants whatever magufin for his evil plans, now this isnt to say that I think the story is great, its talking about racism sure but it deals with it in a almost saturday morning cartoon way, also all the good guys are super nice and honorable while the bad guys are cartoonishly evil. But it's still a hell of alot better then whatever was going on in awakening because all that game had was the pure protagonists, cartoon villains and a generic save the world plot.

I also liked alot of the side characters alot more then I thought I would, some of then even have character arcs imagine that! My favorite was Jill because she is really the character grows the most out of everyone there given all that happens to her especially if you recruit Haar as well and get their support conversations, I kept thinking that the game dedicated all this time and effort for an optional character you might not even get and I found that really cool.

Gameplaywise at first I thought I was really gonna miss the pair up system buy actually I didnt really miss it at all and I really liked how rescuing worked because it meant you could more or less correct mistakes, like if you sent a unit too far and it took too much damage you could send another unit to save it before the enemy came and killed it next turn, also shoving is the best. Another thing that I loved was how many different mission objectives there were from surviving, to escaping and seizing, etc. This combined with some pretty interesting maps made for a much more dynamic game. Also to my shock this is a SRPG that has no griding, you couldnt even grind if you wanted to you follow a set number of missions and the exp you get there is what you get, you do get bonus exp from each mission by doing side objectives which you can them spend back at base in whatever character you want. Now the good thing about this system is that there is no grinding however it also means that you're gonna be picking winners and losers from the roster pretty quickly with so many characters and limited missions you really dont have the option to lvl everybody up and then pick who you want to bring in to battle, also there is a particular mission in the game that really drove home that to me where the game forced me to have a character that I hadnt lvl up at all and had no itens... Im not gonna harp on it too much because it was a one time thing and you can just run away from the battle and continue the game but still that got me thinking that theoretically its possible for you to be screwed out of finnishing the game if too many of your high level units die and you're stuck with the leftovers, now the game does have its fair share of OP units you get and you consistently get new units especially in the late game so that's how the devs were trying to counter that I guess, stil its abit of the downside of having 0 griding.

One thing I do think was a step down from awakening though was the support system just for the fact that I couldnt for the life of me figure out how it worked, in awakening it was pretty clear put 2 characters side by side have them fight together and their support will go up, in path of Radiance I have no idea how it works and its definetly not the same as in awakening, as a result I barely got any of the support converstions maxed, I only got 3(Ike and Oscar, Jill and Haar, Nephenee and Calil) which was really frustrating because I placed lethe next to Ike the whole game to see if they would talk and it would never happen, meanwhile Calil and Nephenne that were in maybe 5 missions together and were never close to each other I got the full thing. Also I never noticed any of the effects of support like in awakening such as character doing follow up attacks or defending which I think its a cool addition.

Other then that though I have to say this game goes above and beyond awakening and maybe every other SRPG I ever played at least gameplaywise, Tatics Ogre has an amazing story with great characters, meaningfull choices and how it tackles ethnic conflict puts most games to shame but for a large part of it I hated playing it, meanwhile I was really addicted to Path of Radiance and just wanted to play more especially since the game ends in sort of a anti-climax with the story obviously continuing into the next game. So Im looking foward to continuing this with Radiant Dawn I think, abit of shame that due me using emulator Im not gonna be able to import nothing there so I dont know how thats gonna go I just hope I get my 4 best units back(Muarim, Nephenne,Oscar and Astrid)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 10:20 pm Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance aka Ike ends racism (emulator)-

So Im kinda of blown away by this game[...]
Oh man, you don't know how happy it just made me to read all this about you appreciating this game's strengths after playing it for the first time in 2018. I was initially a bit worried that your expectations and comparisons to other games like FFT, TO & Awakening might have ruined the game for you, but that was clearly not the case and I'm very glad that you took the time necessary to appreciate this game's various systems and narrative elements. :)

The racism allegory is indeed a bit on the nose a lot of the time, but I think the game also dives a bit into national identity in general and that the cultural differences between Begnion's opulent theocracy and Crimea's small monarchy are very well represented. I also really like Caineghis' portrayal, and the idea that even though his nation is suffering from foreign hostility and prejudice by the time the events of the game take place, he is also acutely aware of his own nation's dark history and the associated revisionism that takes place within his culture, which explains his deep motivation to establish a long-term peaceful relationship with his closest neighbor. I find this to be a very interesting and nuanced depiction of the complexities associated with patriotism and the cyclical nature of war.

And what about Naesala? He's neither honorable nor cartoonishly evil, is he? He's the sovereign leader of a very small and vulnerable nation, compelled to commit repulsive actions in order to strengthen his nation's place in the world and secure his people's future. He's corrupt, but he's not a sadist.

Jill is also one of my favorite characters, for the same reasons as you. That's what I meant when I said that the supports in pre-Awakening games could be so much more interesting than just dating sim material. They are written like actual people, with their own values, allegiances and character arcs, instead of simplistic anime archetypes to be hooked up and forgotten about.

The support system is simply determined by how many battles the two characters are participating in together, with different pairings requiring different amounts of battles. The reason for that is so the support conversations can incorporate elements of the main plot over the course of the entire game, instead of simply being loosely grinded out in the beginning. Here is a good resource in case you want to read up on some of those that you've missed.

I'm glad you noticed the variety of mission objectives in comparison to Awakening. The lack of grinding opportunities is indeed a bit of a double-edged sword, but I personally feel like it creates a wonderful long-term reward metagame that is quite unique among TRPGs. You're forced to develop a bond with your characters that simply wouldn't exist if you could just replace them at the drop of a hat. It also allows for a much better balancing of the missions and enemies.

I'm just grinning like an idiot while typing this so I'm gonna stop here. It's simply wonderful that this game can still win players over so many years after Awakening redefined the series' identity within popular consciousness. It's the first time I've read about anyone in this community giving a classic FE game a try since I've joined and I'm incredibly happy you stuck with it all the way through. :)

PS: You'll get 'em back. Somehow. Radiant Dawn has a bit of a different structure, and a less coherent one in my opinion. It's a very flawed, but also incredibly ambitious and wonderful game. You'll see.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)
Jun 5 - Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PC)
Jun 11 - Prey (PC)
Jun 14 - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
Jun 16 - Scrap Garden (PC)
Jun 17 - LostWinds (PC)
Jun 20 - Straimium Immortaly (PC)
Jun 25 - Dreaming Sarah (PC)
Jun 26 - Poi: Explorer Edition (Switch)

Have you played Mario 64? Well, this is the budget version of it. I don't mean that in a bad way, but simply what it is. The inspiration is very clear. The triple jump, wall jump, and long jump are all there. Instead of stars, you are collecting medallions and there is no big threat, simply a treasure you are trying to collect at the very end. There are only five main worlds to go through here with 7 medallions each. It even has the 100 coin medallion in each world. Not a bad way to pass the time.

Jun 29 - Dungeon Souls (PC)

Another action RPG roguelite that looked interesting. Sadly, it was not. It isn't feasible to consistently dodge attacks with the melee heroes so you just go in swinging at everything hoping they die before you do. Ranged heroes can dodge and it is mandatory since they are all made of glass, dying in only a few hits even on normal difficulty. I beat it as a melee hero only to see the next difficulty up doubled enemy HP and damage. This turned everything into a massive slog. The increase time to kill led to the screen full of enemy attacks to avoid and even the melee heroes would get shredded at this point. That was the point I turned the game off. There is also a difficulty above this one which I can only laugh at.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

30/06: Star Fox [SNES Classic]

Bad framerate. Terrible hit/collision detection. Difficult to aim with any amount of precision. I'll stick with Star Fox 64.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4)

I'm just so glad this is over. Plenty has been written about the game so far, so I'll not rehash it. A lot of the superficial problems were to do with a) the facial animations and b) the presence of dialog choices which usually divided into 1) Teenager working at Dairy Queen and 2) Commander Ryder of the Initiative. There was a fair bit of 1) bleeding over into 2) as well.

I have bigger issues with game itself; increasingly it is looking like Triple A is a bust for me personally due to homogenisation/lack of creativity. One of the main reasons I play games is to see new and interesting things, to be entertained in other words. I had to critical path this game because the side quests were nothing short of unbearable.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest

A cute little hack-and-slash RPG where you play as a cat in a world full of cat puns. It was quite amusing, and the combat is fun enough, albeit extremely simple. That's kind of the major problem with it. It's incredibly shallow. It's obviously not trying to be a deep experience in any way, and is just a bit of lighthearted fun, but I think it stretches itself a little too thin even for that. It's a short game, but I still felt like it went on a bit too long. Gets kind of repetitive after a while. Doesn't really evolve in any way. But it was okay as a small thing in between other big games.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

01/07: Bleed [Switch]

Bleed has the plot to No More Heroes: A rambunctious young person sets out to ascend the pantheon of herodom by murdering the lowest ranked hero and working her way up. The plot doesn't really matter--the player character and her actions humorously have nothing to do with the introductory cutscene--because Bleed is all about its tightened mechanics: A twin-stick shooter/platformer that sees me navigating small environments filled with dozens of weak enemies, interrupted occasionally by stronger mid-bosses, and culminating in an epic showdown with one of the Heroes. When Wryn kills the hero, she takes his rank and moves on to the next one. The ability to jump multiple times in a row and activate Bullet Time adds additional layers to the platforming challenges; it never quite approaches Bullet Hell, but that's still the nearest approximation of what to expect. Bleed is over in a blinking, but its length isn't really the point. It's a fun concept which handles well, and its worth is found in playing and replaying its campaign in a variety of styles and difficulties.

01/07: Bleed 2 [Switch]

Bleed 2 picks up where the original left off. Wryn is now the most beloved hero of planet Earth, but her lazy life of playing videogames and being adored is interrupted by an alien invasion. Teaming up with an unlikely ally, she sets out to save the day and prove her worth once again. Bleed 2 immediately feels better to play than its predecessor, which was already a taut and refined videogame. Wryn's model is slightly smaller and better animated, feeling more nimble and responsive. The same basic game design is brought over largely unchanged--levels are still navigated by multi-jumping over obstacles and bullet timing through furious waves of enemy attacks--but with one significant difference: Wryn is now equipped with a blade with which she can reflect specially colored projectiles. This small addition is transformative; combat feel more intricate and desperate, success at navigating a particularly harrowing fight feels more rewarding. Bleed 2 feels easier than its predecessor, but maybe it just feels smoother (the sequence of events are not truncated into nebulously connected levels this time around). Like the first, it is very short and its worth is found in mastering its systems in varying playstyles and successive difficulties.

03/07: Infinite Minigolf [Switch]

The trappings of minigolf should be fertile ground for videogame design: Familiar and easy-to-understand rules (hit a ball into a hole in as few strokes as possible) meet unorthodox course design where strategy and skill converge to reveal the best player. But setting minigolf in a simulated videogame environment confers advantages, as the course may ignore certain rules that govern physical minigolf courses--developer Zen Studios seems to specialize in this philosophy, as they also produce the Pinball FX series that creates a myriad of digital pinball tables which would be impossible to create out of plastic and metal.

Enter Infinite Minigolf, which combines vibrant animation and competent digital minigolf mechanics with a course creating tool that nominally offers an "infinite" amount of minigolf generated by the community. Like most videogames of this style, the quality of created courses will vary wildly, leaning heavily towards the "mediocre" side of things. There's a Quickplay option to quickly jump into a randomly selected course, or I may peruse a portal to find community-recognized gems. There are also Tournaments of developer-created courses when there is no internet access (an inevitability when playing with the Switch).

The strangest choice Infinite Minigolf makes is upending the familiar rules of golf. Every course is considered a Par 5 no matter how large or intricate it is, and I lose points from out of ten thousand total for every stroke past a Hole In One. This means I can score a Par but earn only half the points available on a course, but these totals may be bolstered by collecting gems and by earning small bonuses from rebounds and skillful use of stage powerups. The result is strange situations where a Double Bogey may be worth more than a Par, or an Eagle may be worth than a Hole In One, depending my ability to engage with the point totaling system. A Hole-In-One is usually the best way to win, but not always.

The title is hyperbolic and a required internet access to use most of its features makes Infinite Minigolf a better prospect on other platforms, but there's life to be found here if you're willing to use the portal to find it.

04/07: Crash Bandicoot [Switch]

We take the trappings of 3D platforming for granted now, but back in the mid-90s it was a frontier that had yet to be tamed. It would take Super Mario 64 to solidify abstract concepts like giving me control of the POV (forever redefining it as a "camera"), constantly changing the function of the joystick based on the camera's position. The result was videogames like the first iteration of Tomb Raider, with its awkward tank controls, and Mario's first real counterpart from Sony, Crash Bandicoot.

I appreciate what Naughty Dog was going for with the first Crash Bandicoot. Super Mario 64 was an evolution of side-scrolling platforming concepts, reimagining movement from the bilateral of two-dimensional side-scrollers into omnilateral three-dimensional platforming. Crash Bandicoot, in contrast, was "merely" a step ahead, reimagining bilateral movement in three dimensions as not just from left to right, but also from back to front and from front to back. The camera is fixed, beyond my control, but different environments require varied directions of bilateral movement.

When this works, it's an interesting and welcome twist to the well-trod 3D platforming genre. But it doesn't always work, descending several parts of Crash Bandicoot into a grating quagmire of repeated death. Often the camera is positioned in such a way that it's difficult to land accurately; Crash's body sometimes obscures the way forward, which can make minute platforms even more difficult to land on, and when invulnerable enemies and crumbling platforms are added into the mix, it simply becomes unbearable to play. Other levels introduce Varied camera angles that can make judging relative distance and angle more difficult than it should be; several times I was stonewalled by sequences where a 45 degree angle did not appear as it really was, causing me to repeatedly jump straight into a pit.

One thing Crash Bandicoot does share with its contemporaries is it's a collectathon, but I've never played one that so strenuously prevents me from collecting things. Crash earns a giant glowing diamond if he can smash every box in a level, but most of the boxes are unreachable until he returns with a magic gem earned in a later level. These gems are obtained by doing a flawless, deathless run of some of the most difficult levels late in the videogame. As just clearing these levels allowing deaths was a frustrating chore, I feel little impulse to attempt a 100% completion of this first title in the N. Sane Trilogy.

I liked the ideas in Crash Bandicoot, particularly its alternate interpretation of what a 3D Platformer could be before the genre had solidified, but the final result is a chore with finicky platforming and frustrating level design born almost entirely from awkward camera angles. I've long been on the "extra lives almost always add nothing useful" trip, and Crash Bandicoot has served to remind me that this has been true since at least the 16-bit era. I'm knee-deep in Crash 2 already, and I'm enjoying it a lot more as it has fewer dire platforming sequences (so far) and its collectibles are far less demanding.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Devil may Cry 4:Special Edition(PC)-

Playing through the game now and especially after just going through DMC3 I think I appreciate the combat system here alot more on the other hand there are aspects of this game that really bugged me this time, like the level design I just hate it the amount of busy work you have to do to get through a level sometimes gets really annoying especially when it involves plataforming, the game just slows to crawl so you can do whatever mundane task to be able to proceed, the fact that you have to backtrack through the whole game once you reach the 60% mark also doesnt help the feeling of those stages being very boring, I really want to go through the game with Vergil and Lady/Trish but the thought of going through those levels multiple times is a major turn off. Also the game has some really bad encounters I felt, Belial I just think is a terrible boss especially for being the first one with his AoE explosion you probably wont be able to react to its incredible annoying, the pope is also really annoying to fight because you have to chase him, break his shield and drop him to the ground so you can do damage and if you miss well good luck being stuck, also the less said about that giant statue the better, Bayonetta was one year later and it did that concept of a boss 1000 times better.

The combat itself though I think its great and a clear evolution from 3, the issue I have is that the camera is still a problem, its better then in DMC3 but its not great especially given how many of your moves are directionals so you can be in the middle of a fight and wanna do say stinger but you do a launcher instead because the camera angle changed, it can get pretty frustrating at times. The best thing about Nero is the arm and it allows you to do alot neat stuff, it allows you to both chase and keep the enemy close to you and reving up the sword in the middle of a combo with perfect timing can be really satisfying but I never got super good at it which is why I prefer Dante in this game so much more, I simply love how he plays here with you being able to switch styles of the fly, teleporting next to and enemy with trickster launching them into the air, immediatly switching to swordmaster and doing an air rave on them to ending it with a switch to gunslinger and shooting him to the ground with pistols. Its just so much fun to do, you do miss the devil bringer but with Dante being so much more mobile thanks to trickster it isnt really an issue, the only thing that Dante from 3 has over DMC4 is the other weapons, you get 3 with Gilgamesh being just Beowulf again and while Lucifer and Pandora are really unique and cool DMC3 gave you 5 weapons not counting the fire arms. Lastly from the little I played with Vergil I can already tell he is really OP but has some neat mechanics and I enjoyed playing him here alot more then DMC3 and I think its because I was able to upgrade all his skills straight away.

A great combat system I just wish the rest of the game measured up to it because the levels really put a damper on things, at least there's bloody palace where there's no lvl design to worry about.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: June 20th, 2018, 11:57 pm 7th Jan - Mafia 3 (XBO)
29th Jan - Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (XBO)
31st Jan - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
20th Feb - Celeste (XBO)
12th Mar - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)
2nd Apr - Prey (2017) (XBO)
29th Apr - Dynasty Warriors 9 (XBO)
7th May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)
17th May - Shadow Warrior (XBO)
20th June - Watch Dogs 2 (XBO)
9th July - Forgotton Anne (XBO)

Charming little puzzle platformer with a story that surprised me. Great music, good animation, slightly clunky movement (very reminiscent of Flashback and it’s ilk).

I liked the ending I got, though the post game chapter select hints that there might well be four different ones, so I might come back to it at some point; a full playthrough if you know the puzzles is probably quite quick.

I’d probably suggest maybe waiting for a sale though, I’m not sure it’ll be for everyone.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

8 July - Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Gold on all cups and classes (150cc is proper hard in this game!), though I have yet to unlock al SNES Super Mario Kart cups on all classes.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: July 10th, 2018, 9:58 am (150cc is proper hard in this game!)
Ha, I wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks on me or not! :lol:
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

01/07: Bleed [Switch]
01/07: Bleed 2 [Switch]
03/07: Infinite Minigolf [Switch]
04/07: Crash Bandicoot [Switch]
07/07: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back [Switch]

Sometimes sequels are tangents, sometimes they're evolutions, and sometimes they're refinements. Crash 2 is a refinement of the first entry, sanding away the misleading camera angles that sent me plummeting into bottomless pits, but leaving the core ethos in tact: Tricky platforming and brutal difficulty. Crash gains new abilities--a high jump, a slide, and ground pound--that are obvious reverberations from the industry-shaking tremor that was Super Mario 64, adding familiar layers to the original's crate-smashing formula. Magic gems that unlock new paths in old levels are no longer obtained from perfect performance in the most difficult levels, but found sequestered at the ends of hidden paths. Only the sketchy enemy design and hit detection still plagues the videogame; one level filled with swarms of bees was particularly grating, and the penultimate boss that found me pelting apples at tiny weak points on a mobile power suited minion was the nadir of my entire Crash experience. I enjoyed Cortex Strikes Back more than the first Crash Bandicoot, but only because it seemed to be deliberately hard and not accidentally. I still have zero interest in getting everything in it, thanks largely to the still-completely-unnecessary extra lives system.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Jun 9 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Jun 23 - Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)
Jul 13 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)

Just went through the main Ace Attorney series in under two years. Needless to say I really enjoy the games, even if I cheat and keep a spoiler free guide close to hand for whenever I make a mistake. I will continue with future entries even if I know I that Trials and Tribulations will always be my favourite. A bunch of solid trials here even if the prosecutor isn't great.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest
14/07 - The Legend of Korra (Extreme)

Since I've been watching through the show again it seemed only right to go back through the game at the proper chronological point too. Third time finishing it I believe, and the first time on the hardest difficulty. There's only three, so it's not really that "extreme" all things considered. It was fun to revisit, but a bit strange playing through on this mode.

It's obviously not as polished as Platinum games tend to be. Combat still feels great of course, despite being rather shallow, and having access to all the Bending styles from the start really helps this game a whole lot. Although it seems since I was playing through this on a difficulty I hadn't done before, I couldn't skip the Naga runner sections. I swear it let me do that before... So that was kind of annoying. Especially the last section, which is a pain to begin with, is ridiculous on this mode. Probably the hardest thing in the game. Also playing through this time I had a bunch of items unlocked from previous runs, and they kind of break the game. They're fun to use, but make most of the fights kind of trivial. There's the odd fight where you do have to put in a bit more thought, but most everything didn't really stand a chance. Although I found the final boss was actually pretty tricky, and I ended up not using the overpowered item in the end, since it halves your health.

But anyway, still a fun, if flawed and limited game. Not great, but better than it gets credit for. Easily the best game based on this IP. Such a shame that they delisted it and it's now impossible to buy.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: June 10th, 2018, 2:28 am JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
MAR - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) MAR - Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
APR - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
MAY - Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)
MAY - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
JUN - God Of War (PS4)
JUL - Dying Light (PS4)

Overall, I enjoyed this game, but it has a lot of issues. By the time I got a few missions from the end and decided to rush towards it's conclusion, the missions really showed themselves up as the fetch quests they are. And don't even bother with the side quests as they're almost all just 'go here and bring me this', and follow the most archaic structure imaginable. Need some medicine? Go to a pharmacy. Oh it's not there? It's somewhere else. Go there. Oh it's not there? Try somewhere else. There it is. Repeat ad infinitum.

And the last mission in the game? Total dog shit. A frustrating mess that left a sour taste from what had been an enjoyable few hours.

But its not a bad game. In fact, its really quite a good game. It just becomes a bit frustrating and monotonous towards the final quarter. Still worth playing though.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Jun 9 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Jun 23 - Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)
Jul 13 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)
Jul 14 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) All 10 cups on 100cc

A quick play on all the tracks before the podcast is released. Not going to challenge myself with 150cc.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
02/05 - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
13/05 - Into the Breach (PC)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
28/05 - Hollow Knight (PC)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)
03/06 - Zone of the Enders (PS3)
15/07 - Frostpunk (PC)

Survived one campaign anyway. Really great survival sim from the This War of Mine people. Highly recommended.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns
July:

03/07

Prince of Persia- it’s funny how mechanics and controls which felt buttery smooth at the time seem unpredictable and fiddly. I think the freerunning of Titanfall et al has spoilt us!

16/07

Last Guardian - I would encourage anyone planning on playing this game to persevere through to the finale . There are parts which could easily frustrate (they certainly did to me) but It’s ultimately more than worth it in the end
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

February 4th - DOOM (Switch)
February 7th - Oxenfree (Switch)
February 17th - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
February 25th - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)
February 28th - Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch)
March 4th - Subsurface Circular (Switch)
March 28th - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
April 4th - Floor kids (Switch)
April 9th - Rime (Switch)
May 6th - Celeste (Switch)
May 7th - Nintendo Labo (RC Car / Motorbike)
May 30th - Axiom Verge (Switch)

July 17th - Wolfenstein II: The new Colossus (Switch)

Really glad I got to experience this totally bizarre game. Like DOOM, I felt slightly giddy that I was playing a great, recent PS4 release in handheld mode on a train. Sure, it's a bit fuzzy in places and some of the water is a bit crap, but equally there are sequences which are stunning and insanely busy with no slowdown.

I don't think it's as good a shooter as DOOM. Not by a long way. Enemy type was limited, most situations required the same few weapons and it's hard to know where enemy fire is coming from. Being more corridor based too felt less free to try varying tactics.

I also found it hard to orientate various spaces in the game too or find the next objective. The level design felt more varied, but less successful, than DOOM. The U-Boat in particular was a disorientating maze I never grasped.

I actually knocked down the difficulty as the combat wasn't so tight, plus I was enjoying feeling overpowered and badass as Mr Anti-Nazi himself.

I really came here for the story. As much as I love indies and Nintendo games, it's been a pleasing distraction playing a slick, AAA, mainstream game on Switch. Something I sorely needed. The tale is nuts and goes to some wonderfully mad places I didn't expect, which I won't spoil. It's a mix of comedy, horror, political thriller and romance, delivered really well by some good acting and brilliant cut scenes.

I love the art design of it. Some of the settings were amazing. The court room, the aerial warships, Roswell, all of the space programme details, the uniforms, the large swastika banners... All felt like that's what Nazi life may have evolved to in a few decades time.

Not sure what I'll do with it now. Is there much to do post game? Not heaps. Will I replay it one day? Maybe? Do I get £35 for it now? Possibly.

But I'm very glad I bought it. It's been a blast.