Octopath Traveler

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: Octopath Traveler

Post by KissMammal »

And guess what? It turns out that it isn't true. From what I've read, without spoiling myself, there is a section at the end that *does* tie the stories together.

It absolutely infuriates every time a JRPG comes because you can absolutely tell that reviewers always half ass it and never finish the game. JRPGs always get burned in reviews for either being too linear and/or experimenting too much and being too different. This game is no different and it angers me that reviewers will actually affect sales, like with you, because they don't do their bloody job.
The point stands that due to the structure of the game, in which each of the eight characters can be recruited (or not) in any order, the eight stories aren't really connected and there is no real interaction or dialogue between the eight characters that you might reasonably expect from a FF style JRPG (aside from
Spoiler: show
possibly a secret extra dungeon at the very end of the game
). There's absolutely nothing misleading or dishonest about the review at all.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't understand why people are annoyed about this. Was the game sold on the premise that all the stories intertwined? (Genuinely asking...)
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: July 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm I don't understand why people are annoyed about this. Was the game sold on the premise that all the stories intertwined? (Genuinely asking...)
I think it's a perfectly reasonable expectation given how heavily they are marketing the game as a sort of spiritual successor to Final Fantasy VI. How much it bothers you will vary - I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't a sweeping overall story, but for me it isn't a dealbreaker. Part of the complaint though is that the stories themselves are fairly formulaic and generally follow a familiar structure, so the game gets repetitive. The Kotaku review also specifically mentions it breaking suspension of disbelief when teammates arbitrarily drop out of your party when the story demands, but I mean, come on, it's a JRPG - you have to be ok with an enormous amount of absurdities and idiosyncrasies from the word go.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I'm about 10 hours in, and all of those criticisms seem very valid. I really want to love this game, and I think it might legitimately be the best turn-based combat system in any RPG I've ever played, which is not a claim I make lightly. Unfortunately, the story kinda feels like they took the 8 most common JRPG tropes and put them into the same game, connected only extremely loosely. I'm hoping that once I start getting deeper into the separate stories, they will at least individually be interesting, but it is a pretty big disappointment to have a game sold on the idea of 8 great characters, and then literally never have them speak to each other. Also, I think the immersion breaking goes quite a bit beyond normal JRPG weirdness, you literally have complete strangers joining together at first sight, and never speaking to each other.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

KissMammal wrote: July 16th, 2018, 8:24 pm
The point stands that due to the structure of the game, in which each of the eight characters can be recruited (or not) in any order, the eight stories aren't really connected and there is no real interaction or dialogue between the eight characters that you might reasonably expect from a FF style JRPG (aside from
Spoiler: show
possibly a secret extra dungeon at the very end of the game
). There's absolutely nothing misleading or dishonest about the review at all.
There is banter between the characters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... _in_every/

It is untrue.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm into this.

I'm only 5 hours in mind but I'm enjoying it.

I appreciate the art style so much and the battle system is great, very rewarding with lots of different approaches. My main character I'm going for a replenishing build which seems fun and if it works out as planned, should be make me super efficient with my supplies.

I personally tend to gravitate to short stories as opposed to large overarching epics. Something I very much prefer in the Bethesda games are the side quests, as opposed to eth main line.

I think it stems from my style of preferred gameplay. I like to start a tale/mission and finish it in a sitting, a nice 3/4 hour story does me. I’m hoping I can apply this to Octo and get a wholesome experience from it.

Currently with where I am I’m gaining a character an evening, I’m on my third companion and just got my ass kicked by her boss, for her into story.

So far, I’ve gone; TherionH’aanit - Ophillia

One thing I wish there was an option for is auto text, like in Xenoblade and other JRPG’s where the conversation will flow without you having to press A after 2 lines of dialogue.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I really put some hours into this over the weekend, about 25 in fact – I basically did nothing but enjoy the rain and play video games, it was RAD.

I now have all of the characters, explored most of the map and have a fairly competent understanding of the battle system – which is the games high point I think, besides the art style.

Just quickly on the art style, it’s so good you just want to keep spamming screen shots and post them to Twitter – it’s stunning. The way the lighting, particle effects and music set a scene, or create an atmosphere is outstanding. It really helps make the 8 individual character stories stand out in their own right and you genuinely get the feeling of a deeper larger character story. Great Direction.

It’s a battle puzzle game, like most JRPG’s I suppose but this feels more so. Each fight consists of a quick scan of the battlefield to assess who has what weakness and how many defence points you need to break down until you have access to each enemies’ underbelly. It’s very rewarding and gives you that satisfaction in making you feel clever for working out an efficient way of clearing the room. Not displaying enemies’ health points is an interesting choice, it certainly adds tension to encounters, which results in a more intense battle, which is welcome.

I have a sub-character that I’m sort of mainlining that allows you to spend a turn and analyse an enemy. This will briefly show you their health points and reveal weakness that you have not discovered yet. Great for Boss fights.

Boss battles are different and often throw in mechanics, attacks or effects that you ‘ve not encountered previously.

It's not hard per say, I’ve died maybe three or maybe four times. Now whether you class death or ‘Game Over’ screens as part of an enjoyable experience is down to personal preference but I certainly think it brings some value to a game.

It’s chill, proper chill.

I feel as if the game has only just got going for me. Now that I have all eight characters, I can choose a story to progress, pick a team to go out with battle strategy.

That’s not to say the first 30 hours of gameplay wasn’t rewarding or enjoyable – it just felt a little corralled.

Having to include each character in your party to unfold their story or path is clever, it’s obvious but I think I see the developer’s ideas and greater plan for the game.

You’ll be forced to learn each character’s abilities and techniques to get the best of them and integrate them into your team. This stops you from getting a team and max/min ‘in your way to the finish line and not using certain gameplay aspects or systems.

By doing this, the grander game starts to become apparent of what may seem like 8 side quests, the overarching story is the combined adventure of all the characters, that’s the main story – yours. It’s the journey you go on yourself in getting all the characters to the end of their respective story lines. It’s clever and different, I appreciate it a lot.

I still have a long way to go and I’m hoping it continues to shine as bright as it already has for me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I think I'm done with this, only once since I returned from Holiday (where this was the only game I took) have I spent more than five seconds considering playing it again.

I'm 60 hours in, and have three characters on their final chapter.

I'd gotten into a sort of rhythm with the characters, in which I'd use the same three (Thief, Tank, Mage) then add one of the other 5 characters to my party to either extend their story or make up the numbers.

Because of this I've grown attached, to some degree to my main three and only really care or have any interest in their story, which were pretty cool, if I'm being honest. They seemed well written and had me genuinely guessing as to what would happen next.

However, due to my mainline of my main three, I think I have over-leveled them and now just breeze through the battles/dungeons or whatever.

I've literally been just fast travelling to the main story beats, washing over the mid battles and brute forcing the main battles, with mild tactical considerations.

With one exception, a side battle in the desert with a nasty dude and his pet(no spoilers).

The battle system, the artwork, the story (not so much all the music) are all of a high standard in this, I'm just a little tired of it at the moment.

It may be burn out, so I'm going to park this for now and I do wonder if I'll ever come back to it. If I do, it will certainly only be for my main three.